Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

nimi

I believe Dylan & Lubov are passing on the World Championships - it has been posted on here somewhere but I don't remember what thread I was reading now.
It's official: Ruest/Wolfe are going instead of I/M -- although I/M are still on the list as alternates

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108712.htm

I was hoping we'd be seeing I/M one last time in comp but I'm sure they have their reasons :(

clairecloutier

So with D/R and I/M out, Canada will likely be down to two berths

Yeah, I think it will be tough for MT/M and S/B to get what they need for 3 spots. Not out of the question, for sure, but not easy either. It helps that Stolbova/Klimov are out. But I think it's likely that both Italian pairs will probably do well, skating at home, and that makes the path harder. We'll see.

Rock2

Sad for I/M but with the season they had, I can see them being ready to move on. Injuries and/or new opportunities to explore could also be a factor.

I'm not ready to say Canada can't keep 3 spots but yes will be tough. Possible though.
Other than Y/Z's freefall in the long the other pairs really overperformed while CAN2 and CAN3 made mistakes in the SP, keeping them down and forcing them into earlier groups for the long.

Fatigue from the top 8 will be an interesting factor in terms of prep as well. I'm not expecting Olympic quality from everyone.

With clean shorts, both MT/M and S/B will be in the 70 range and could both be in 2nd to last group with only a little bit of help via mistakes from others.
Skating later and thanks to a growing catalogue of good longs, you will see their PCS trend upwards. Both can approach or hit the 140 range skating the way they do, and tidying up some jump elements that have been a bit sloppy.

Yes they have to both have whistle clean shorts and strong longs, but I'm not ready to give up yet. Both teams trending upward.

Rock2

I think it's a toss-up, but Canada only needs two spots at the moment anyway.

Kinda sorta.

I expect R/W to work hard to get the 3Tw back over the summer. They have pulled some really good scores in B internationals before, so they to me are on the verge of breaking out. Highly watchable team, gelling as a pair. Good programs needed.

I would say most of us are pretty meh about Walsh/Michaud but they have the ability to be pretty consistent. Despite the lack of size difference the 3Tw is coming along. They need a serious upgrade in packagingj/programming to get noticed as they kick off their senior career next summer/fall. From what I know they will be training over the summer with a view to making the world team. Don't discount them just yet.

jlmart

Brasseur/Bardei will be making their debut this fall. He will be eligible for international competition by then. It will be interesting to see how they are doing. They look good in photos.

IloveFS

I think it's a toss-up, but Canada only needs two spots at the moment anyway.
No, Canada should try to keep the three spots if possible. We will see what happens!!!! Hopefully, the novice teams that showed so much promise at Nationals will continue to develop and it won't be long before Canada has another competitive pairs team

Erin

Banned Member
No, Canada should try to keep the three spots if possible. We will see what happens!!!!

Well obviously they should try. But if it doesn't happen, it won't be nearly as upsetting as if it hadn't happened at last year's Worlds, when we knew there would be four really talented teams fighting for, at best, three spots, and it would be really sad if it were only two. Canada is likely going to be in a situation where three spots is nice to have but if we only have two, the team sitting at home isn't someone with the potential to finish in the top 10 on a good day.

Last edited:

Catherine M

I think Canadian pairs should look pretty good next season in seniors:

Julianne/Charlie
M-T/M
Ruest/Wolfe
Sydney/Max
Brasseur/Bardei, yes we've never seen them but they both looked decent in their last partnership
Walsh/Michaud, probably my favorite of the up and coming teams

Then we have the aged out juniors, Matte & Ferland & Choinard & Ostiguy

So that's 8 teams right there that have international experience and hopefully will be keeping up with other countries.

screech

This came across my Facebook feed today. Does anyone know if he perhaps started out in figure skating?
According to his Wikipedia, he won bronze in juvenile at the 2004 Canadians, but shortly thereafter decided to focus on hockey.

I googled it when I saw it, because I thought his technique was pretty good for just a hockey player. He must have kept his skills up somehow, because it's been over a decade since he switched his focus.

Reactions: mag

Rock2

I think Canadian pairs should look pretty good next season in seniors:

Julianne/Charlie
M-T/M
Ruest/Wolfe
Sydney/Max
Brasseur/Bardei, yes we've never seen them but they both looked decent in their last partnership
Walsh/Michaud, probably my favorite of the up and coming teams

Then we have the aged out juniors, Matte & Ferland & Choinard & Ostiguy

So that's 8 teams right there that have international experience and hopefully will be keeping up with other countries.

I think there are other individuals out there who might not have completely given up skating and might be open to finding a partner if the right fit comes. I think Chudak is back to training and I'd like to see Boudreau-Audet skate for Canada. Perhaps someone like Purich comes back to life yet again....

I sincerly hope Choinard and Ostiguy develop real well over the summer. They have such a long way to go; they need to make big strides having aged out of junior. They don't even yet look like a solid junior team yet they have to compete in senior. Crossing my fingers.

I have been disappointed with Matte and Ferland. Lots of personality but if you don't have big tricks you have to be consistent with what you do. They can't seem to get anywhere close to a clean program. Don't know what their plans are but I'd be surprised if they continue. I haven't seen any progression from them in two years, it seems.

crazy2skate

I am so looking forward to watching S/B in the next 4 years...they are the future of Canadian pair!, KMT/M, if she continues with Mike I can not see them making the jump in the standings.
I look forward to seeing Brasseur/Bardei, she has such a presence on the ice and we know she can do the pair stuff, she has the package! W/M this team is improving but I do not believe they will keep up. Walsh can keep trying but her height will continue to hinder her. Walsh does not have the presence on the ice like most pair girls.
Skate Canada has some building to do and needs to get the right girls with the right boys. What is happening in the pair world is catching up with them. The future is sparse when it comes to pair teams and skill level is questionable.

Noticed on Ice Partner Search Steve Lapointe is looking for a new partner. I wonder who will scoop up Chloe...she is a girl with A LOT of potential and she is still young!

Reactions: DFO

DFO

Noticed on Ice Partner Search Steve Lapointe is looking for a new partner. I wonder who will scoop up Chloe...she is a girl with A LOT of potential and she is still young!

If I got it right, they had no choice. Steven is too old for Junior and I guess Chloé is too young for senior... I'm sorry to see them splitting cause after 2 years together they were a nice match. They won the Novice title 2 years ago and did well in Jr last year, even doing one international event (didnot goes well, but that's a great Learning experience). I wish them both good luck.

jlmart

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what/when the first domestic competition of the 2018/19 season is?

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Rock2

Well, then.
The plot thickens.

Boudreau-Audet must have gotten a good deal from Japan while options in Canada were limited. Things must have changed on one or more fronts.

He's tall, well-coached and has at least 2 triples. Hopefully he found a partner, which wouldn't surprise me as there a lot of skaters right in Quebec. I wonder how tall the Decelles sisters are?....hmmm....

Erin

Banned Member
Interesting news re Boudreau-Audet. I'm very curious to see who his partner is.

That's two Canadians skating for other countries that Skate Canada is getting next season, it's an interesting coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information