alilou's Adventures in Wonderland 2 - all over the map

Marge_Simpson

alilou, they are all stunning. :) You have such a knack for photographing people. My question is, why are you not working for National Geographic?????

Alilou

Ubercavorter
alilou, they are all stunning. :) You have such a knack for photographing people. My question is, why are you not working for National Geographic?????
Thanks so much @Marge_Simpson! I wish I was, but honestly I don't think I'm good enough yet. I am however working for a major adventure travel company that is sending me (and Don) on a 3 week tour of China in May in exchange for writing and photography. It's a good start :)

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Seconding what Marge said!
Thanks @skatesindreams. I guess my problem is I look at some of what some of the best photographers are doing and think they are so brilliant. It always inspires me to do better and to learn more, and I know I'm a way better photographer than I was a few years ago. And then recently I was looking at the people photographs of a very famous photographer and instead of being a little in awe I really looked at them and realised that many of my shots are just as good. Maybe one day I'll pursue more recognition for what I do. Right now I'm trying to recover from a truly heinous flu in time for Canadians, and then in the bigger picture to fully recover stamina and fitness after hip surgery in time for the big trip to Japan and China in May/June. I have at least blogged my way into free travel! Yay! And there will likely be more to come. I can't wait to get out with my camera again. With the hip surgery and now this illness slowing me down it feels as if it has been a long time since I've been really inspired. Bring on the new year!

dinakt

It's been a while. Focused on getting strong and fit again (which takes up soooo much time!) and now I've been sidelined with a cold :( All woolly headed :( but here it is - a new blog post.
That cold/flu I got in Montreal at Christmas took nearly 3 weeks to get better, and now it's come back again! Grrrrr

A Thousand Ways to Kneel and Kiss the Ground – landscapes around the world
Your pictures take my breath away. So much beauty, and your photography is art.
Feel better soon, and thanks for sharing!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Your pictures take my breath away. So much beauty, and your photography is art.
Feel better soon, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much @dinakt. The world is such a beautiful place, and I feel so lucky to have been able to explore some of it. Going back through my photos for this post was like a little journey back in time - so many memories.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
You need to submit a book proposal ASAP.

Thanks for your support @Marge_Simpson. Oh one of these days. Right now my plate is full with Olys, learning for the first time in my life how to use a smart phone, new camera coming up so another learning curve, plus planning out an independent trip to Japan, followed by a 3 week tour in China on assignment for Intrepid Travel. But my biggest focus is getting pain-free, strong, and fit again so I can do these tours after being in much pain for a couple of years due to rapidly degenerating right hip cartilage that led to a hip replacement a bit over 4 months ago. Getting my body well and strong again takes up soooo much time but it's my biggest priority at the moment.

I'm still totally chuffed and amazed that I seem to have blogged my way into free travel! :cheer2:

Last edited:

skatesindreams

I'm still totally chuffed and amazed that I seem to have blogged my way into free travel! :choir2:
Hooray, that others realize how special your blog is; and how well you convey the "adventures" that are part of travel, through both essays and photographs.

Your rewards are well-deserved!
I hope they will continue.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Hooray, that others realize how special your blog is; and how well you convey the "adventures" that are part of travel, through both essays and photographs.

Your rewards are well-deserved!
I hope they will continue.

Awww thanks @skatesindreams. It's a labour of love that's for sure. And to now be actually getting paid for articles and photography, and now free travel in exchange for articles and photography - it's all a bit of a dream. I never set out to be a travel writer/photographer but it seems I've become one.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
You became one by doing it, and I'm sure that all the learning involved for the photography took up as much time as taking a course in school.
Yes probably. And for the writing too. I cringe a little when i read my very early posts, but I learned, as we often do, by reading the writing of others and noting what really affected me and drew me in.

Alilou

Ubercavorter

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Your photos and narrative captions are fabulous.
What a wide range of creatures and flora you have observed during your adventure!

Thanks so much SID. Oh we've been so lucky in the wildlife we saw! Some of it we sought out, but some was pure serendipity.

Oh my goodness! The wildlife photos are magnificent! I love penguins and that gorgeous photo made my day! Thanks so much for sharing the link! (y):love: 🐧

Thanks so much Angie, and you're welcome. It was really really special to get to see those penguins, and we watched them for a long time it seemed. One walked right in front of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information