San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

Willin

@myhoneyhoney I don't think so. The local organizing committee made their own application because USFS didn't have one of their own. The local clubs sent out a link to that application, but the USFS application link was never sent out via the local clubs or organizing committee. So, basically, most people volunteering through local clubs had no idea USFS made its own application. USFS only contacted the local organizing committee to tell them about the USFS application after Thanksgiving, at which point those who only did the organizing committee application were told they had to do the USFS application. So those individuals were given a bit of extra time to fill out the correct form (the USFS one).

skatfan

I got this email too. Very confusing. I'm assuming that they are now simply approving folks as volunteers, then everyone will sign up for shifts after December 6th - probably because all of a sudden someone realized that this would be a ton of work to assign centrally. So since we already submitted forms, we don't need to do again.

Edited to add: ah, just saw the post about LOC volunteers. ok.

Debbie S

This is really bizarre. Usually the LOC handles the volunteer app and assignments - there is a chair for each committee that gets in touch with interested vols who sign up online. I'm sure USFS works with the committee chairs to make sure shifts are assigned and there is necessary coverage and provides them with info/rules to orient the vols but I don't believe they run the scheduling or app process. I've never heard of 2 different applications - seems like a great way to confuse people and turn them off volunteering.

Willin

@Debbie S I bet that's why there was so much confusion about free tickets and such for volunteers. The LOC probably went off of what happened last time they hosted - that is, they organized volunteers. Based on their e-mail it sounds like USFS didn't tell the LOC that they made their own application until this week, which is honestly some pretty poor communication.

It would also explain why the local clubs and coaches were so confused about so much of the local club involvement with Nationals. Except for the sweepers and ticket sales the local clubs have been pretty much in the dark about everything. And even for ticket sales there's confusion.

Melissa

What side/section are the judges on?

Also, I am a pro at the SAP Center for Sharks games but I am not a pro at figure skating events. For the pros, what are the sections I should aim for to buy a fulll event pass?

5Ali3

I'm sure USFS works with the committee chairs to make sure shifts are assigned and there is necessary coverage and provides them with info/rules to orient the vols but I don't believe they run the scheduling or app process.

A new feature of U.S. Figure Skating's new-ish EMS (event management system) is managing the application and scheduling of volunteers at competitions. I believe this is the "big event" roll out of that feature.

It's a flexible and powerful system, and when it works, it's great. It will streamline verifying compliance with background checks and eventually SafeSport training. (At the moment, volunteers must pass a background check and coaches must pass a background check and SafeSport training; starting next season, officials must also pass a background check and SafeSport training. If a coach (or official) who has passed a background check applies to volunteer at Nationals, it's been a manual process to check one list against the other. I assume at some point volunteers will be required to complete SafeSport training but we're not there yet.)

OTOH, let's hope this goes more smoothly than the roll out of the feature to schedule practice ice at qualifying competitions. :D

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
What side/section are the judges on?

Also, I am a pro at the SAP Center for Sharks games but I am not a pro at figure skating events. For the pros, what are the sections I should aim for to buy a fulll event pass?

This seating map on the official website shows all the important markers:

http://www.sapcenter.com/assets/doc/SAP_2018-US-Figure-Skating-Championships_Map-ca47fec772.pdf

I prefer to be on the judges side so I'm not seeing the backside of programs (it's especially noticeable in ice dance).

Melissa

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Mom and I finally booked our flights to San Jose tonight (nothing like waiting until almost the last minute, LOL) because we were getting worried that seats were running out. When I went to check the flight costs, it was lower than it had been in OVER A MONTH. Clearly we were meant to book those flights tonight! Our way to San Jose will go through Dallas/Ft. Worth for a layover but we're gonna be there officially now. SO EXCITED! :cheer:

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
@Willin, that would be wonderful! I've been emailing back and forth with Carrie, she's really great and helpful, but it would be nice to get info from one of you :)

margu1241

I have printed out my tickets, but don't see a specific practice schedule available. Am I missing something or does it come out later?

In terms of WIFI, my experience at Sharks games has been less than reliable. It is available, but can be spotty and slow

skatfan

I have printed out my tickets, but don't see a specific practice schedule available. Am I missing something or does it come out later?

In terms of WIFI, my experience at Sharks games has been less than reliable. It is available, but can be spotty and slow

It will come out. Those of us who are volunteers have gotten the link, which I assume will Be public shortly.

nicecardshark

Have most of you been able to print out your tickets?

Were you sent a notification?

I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I probably won't be volunteering. There are no shifts available I can really take that work with the fact I bought tickets, or it's just when I'm not even there since I get in Thursday morning. :/

Anita18

It depends!
Gots myself volunteering shifts at the info desk at the Marriott! :rollin: I'm assuming these aren't final, because I basically chose a shift for every day I could be in San Jose...

Also, man the system is really unintuitive! As I expected. I managed to double-book myself because I couldn't find a way to remove a selection. (The selection had disappeared entirely when I went back.) And as for the miscommunication between USFSA and the local committee...as someone who has to manage this kind of communication for websites (and some events), this is about par for the course. :p

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Gots myself volunteering shifts at the info desk at the Marriott! :rollin: I'm assuming these aren't final, because I basically chose a shift for every day I could be in San Jose...

Also, man the system is really unintuitive! As I expected. I managed to double-book myself because I couldn't find a way to remove a selection. (The selection had disappeared entirely when I went back.) And as for the miscommunication between USFSA and the local committee...as someone who has to manage this kind of communication for websites (and some events), this is about par for the course. :p

It was so confusing! I got an info desk at the Fairmont during the pairs LP. I emailed to see if there were more shifts going to be available because if I'm there I'd like to do more. I wanted to do stuff at the rink but I only get in on Thursday morning.

skatfan

God that interface is a nightmare. We'll see how it goes. There was one shift I wanted to delete on Wednesday, but it wouldn't let me, so rather than start completely over, I just submitted everything, and figure I'll tell them to cut me from that one if I happen to get it. The way I understand it, we submit for shifts, then we'll hear what we get by December 13th.

myhoneyhoney

I managed to get two morning shifts. One as practice announcer at Solar and one as Accreditation at SAP. What is Accreditation?

I have to agree, that interface was terrible. It took me a while to figure out how to remove shifts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information