[Updated: out of JPN nationals] Hanyu pulls out of 2017 NHK Trophy with right ankle injury

Sylvia

TBD
There is an active thread in the Kiss & Cry section but since this is major news... article in English: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ng/star-yuzuru-hanyu-pulls-nhk-trophy-injury/
OSAKA – World and Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu withdrew from the NHK Trophy on Friday afternoon due to an injured lateral ligament in his right ankle, the Japan Skating Federation announced.
... late in the afternoon word came that doctors had advised the Sendai native not to compete here.
“I am very sorry to have everyone worried,” Hanyu said in a statement issued by the JSF. “Doctors have worked hard on treating me since last night aiming to take part in the NHK Trophy. Unfortunately the doctors have made their final decision that I should not take part.
“I will focus on my treatment and work hard toward the nationals [Dec. 20-24],” Hanyu added.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
NYT article by JERÉ LONGMAN: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/...u-hanyu-injury-figure-skating-nhk-trophy.html
Excerpt from the end:
Other skaters and coaches wished Hanyu a speedy recovery on Friday. Some in the sport consider him the greatest skater ever, one whose presence inspires others to elevate their performances.
“We hope he will be healthy enough to compete,” said Chen’s coach, Rafael Arutyunyan. “He gives so much spirit to a competition.”
Asked whether Chen and Uno might now have a possible edge at the Olympics, Arutyunyan said: “We’re not talking about advantage. Competition is always good when everybody participates.”

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I'm grateful that the doctors insisted that he withdraw and that he actually listened! He could have done even more damaged had he competed and it's unlikely he would have qualified for the GPF by competing injured.

Meoima

This translation summed up Yuzuru’s withdrawal from NHK: https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/167366810544/article-yuzuru-hanyus-injury-withdrawal-from/amp

He had a fever on 8th November so he didn’t go to practice. The practice on 9th November was his first practice after the fever, hence he wasn’t in the zone and fell down so hard in the 4lz. That’s where the injury came from. He iced his leg and wanted to compete but his leg didn’t get better. On 10th November in the morning, his right ankle hurt more, doctor said no. Yuzuru cried because of this withdrawal. But he understands Olympics is more important and he shouldn’t make his injury worse by competing at NHK.

I think this is a wise decision from Yuzuru and his team. I am sure he will come back stronger at Olympic. He will do very well from now on.

Meoima

I Wish him a full and speedy recovery.
JSF released further comments from Yuzuru to the media just now.
Thank you for always rooting for me. I am sorry I made everyone worry this time. The doctor prescribed 10 days of complete rest and quiet. It looks like I will take 3-4 weeks after that to return to my original form, but that is as yet just a plan. I will do everything to recover in order to make the Japanese national championships. I will work hard in order to give a good performance at the nationals, so please kindly allow me to devote myself to rehabilitation and training.

https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/167400551039/yuzuru-hanyu-comment-jsf-supplementary-from

Meoima

They showed the video of his fall on the Olympic channel before the men's free and my god he's lucky it was only the right ankle and not more. That fall was so awkward it could have been really bad :scream:

of course I hope he gets well soon
He was not totally ok as it was after a fever after all. So I think this is a good lesson. He will make it to National.
Yuzuru Hanyu, who withdrew from the NHK Trophy due to lateral ligament damage to the right foot, is projected to make the Japanese national championships (12.20-24) in time. Hidehito Ito, the FS committee chair of JSF, revealed on the 11th that they had gotten reports from staff––“[We are] hearing that it’ll be by Japanese nationals.”
https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/167387597774/yuzuru-hanyu-to-make-japanese-nationals-jsf

GreatLakesGal

"The doctor prescribed 10 days of complete rest and quiet."

I hope he spends those 10 days doing something productive--like playing video games all day long. As opposed to ruminating about his foot and jumps and layouts. Brian has said that he's too focused on the Olympics and I agree with that. With the jumps these guys are doing now, luck is going to end up being a big factor in who wins that OGM. Yuzu has proven over and over just how great he is; I wish he could relax a bit and simply skate for the joy of it.

Meoima

"The doctor prescribed 10 days of complete rest and quiet."

I hope he spends those 10 days doing something productive--like playing video games all day long. As opposed to ruminating about his foot and jumps and layouts. Brian has said that he's too focused on the Olympics and I agree with that. With the jumps these guys are doing now, luck is going to end up being a big factor in who wins that OGM. Yuzu has proven over and over just how great he is; I wish he could relax a bit and simply skate for the joy of it.
Maybe Plushenko was not joking when he told NBC Olympic that Yuzuru only needs 4S and 4T to win Olympics. Cause we know the men field might end up... well... yeah...

skateboy

Maybe Plushenko was not joking when he told NBC Olympic that Yuzuru only needs 4S and 4T to win Olympics. Cause we know the men field might end up... well... yeah...
Maybe... but with Nathan, Shoma, Boyang and even some others successfully landing 4L, 4F and 4Z, including combos, it is probably a gamble Yuzu does not want to take, being the competitor that he is.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I doubt he was over-doing anything. It was just a routine practice.
I was looking at the wear and tear on his body as a whole, not th e stress of a single practice. And hasn't he been dealing with a knee problem? The natural instinct is to protect an injured part...which can throw the rest off.

Meoima

Maybe... but with Nathan, Shoma, Boyang and even some others successfully landing 4L, 4F and 4Z, including combos, it is probably a gamble Yuzu does not want to take, being the competitor that he is.
I know but the thing is Olympic is very weird. It’s always been that way. That’s why Plushenko might have a point. He has been there many times already.

Of course I am sure Yuzuru himself will want to bring out all the quads he can do. 4lz, 4lo and all. He wants to land 4A in competition after all (thank goodness it’s not this season).

But the reality is we have to accept what we have for the time being. His program layout will depend a lot on his condition, given how much his right leg will heal before nationals and Olympics. I hope he will heal fast and land all of his quads soon.

Jayar

Hanyu almost always has one disaster a season. He's done that now, so I have no doubt that he will be stellar from this point forward.

Sylvia

TBD
Article in Japanese with an update on Hanyu: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171210-00000062-dal-spo

Google translated excerpts:

On [December] 10th, the Japanese Skating Federation announced the current situation on figure skating's Sochi Olympic gold medalist about Hanyu Yuruzu ... [who] damaged the right leg joint outer ligament during official practice of the NHK Cup in November. Kobayashi Yoshiko [JSF] director two days ago contacted Hanyu side read the comment of Hanyu: "I got better, but I still have pain, so I have not practiced on ice. I am working hard on treatment and rehabilitation "I have revealed that I have not been able to resume practicing on ice yet. Participation in the All Japan Championship (21st opening season, Tokyo), which will be the final selection for Pyeongchang Olympic representative, was a subtle situation.
 Hanyu fell down when he jumped 4 revolutions during the official practice of the NHK Cup on November 9, damaging the outer legs of the right foot joint. "The absolute rest for 10 days and then (on the ice), returning to original in 3 to 4 weeks," showed the prospects for 4 to 5 weeks until complete recovery and was motivated to participate in all Japan. About one month has passed since this injury from injury. From the initial outlook, recovery is delayed.

Currently I return to Canada in Toronto, Canada where I am concentrating on treatment and rehabilitation. About 10 days to all Japan [Nationals].

Another quote from Kobayashi is translated here: https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/939804516429557760

kittyjake5

Sounds like he won’t be at his Nationals even though no official announcement from his fed yet. This is not good. The injury is taken much longer to heal than what was predicted. He has lost quite a bit of on ice training which could affect his performance in Korea. Darn.

skatfan

Oh dear. Very tenuous situation. Definitely needs to miss the Japan Nationals- hope he can start training in on the ice soon.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Sounds like he won’t be at his Nationals even though no official announcement from his fed yet. This is not good. The injury is taken much longer to heal than what was predicted. He has lost quite a bit of on ice training which could affect his performance in Korea. Darn.

was it an actual break? I know that a break on the outside of the ankle takes longer. My son had one & they could not put a walking cast on it ....it was crutches or wheelchair &then physio which was done partially in the water in a tank like affair. (the hospital does not have a pool.)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
was it an actual break? I know that a break on the outside of the ankle takes longer. My son had one & they could not put a walking cast on it ....it was crutches or wheelchair &then physio which was done partially in the water in a tank like affair. (the hospital does not have a pool.)
I had a break on the bottom of the fibula.....aka outside of the ankle. I wore a walking boot for 12 weeks. Eventually had surgery complete with pins. Ahhhhh the good times. I am sure Hanyu is getting the best possible treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information