Programs that make you feel uncomfortable

Areski

Please point some programs that are uncomfortable for you to watch. Not those who are such because of being splatfests in ssome pecific event or due to the low level of the skaters but those who are cringey / awkward. You know ... unlovable choice of music, grating music cuts, romantic theme by skaters who are siblings, wannabe seductive Carmen from 14-year old girl, moments in choreography that freaks you out, some program that is fundamentally mismatched in regard to specific skater / ice dance couple / pair. Or something that skater just does not pull off effectively. Or bad by comparison to someone who did justice to specific music in the past.

My example:

Tarasova / Morozov LP this season. Very cheesy.

Last edited:

chapis

S/B FD this season, the music Ugh

Marin LP too much yunaesque, I hate it.

the Parsons FD 2017-18 and the Shibs SD 2012-13, we had a master piece with the Duchesnay with that music, I don´t care if it is tribute or not, anyone else using it looks bad in my opinion.

Mao: Carmen at 15 yo, she looks cute skating it but it is Carmen, so it looks cute and silly.

Alina Don Quijote, probably she is trying to look like this https://youtu.be/hDQ43Qb1Guw?t=114, but actually she looks like this https://youtu.be/rdFlF4i4yhs?t=59

briancoogaert

I've just watched Bobrova&Soloviev's Exhibition from 2017 Cup of China. Very strange. Why that costume ? Why those music cuts ? Very strange...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Alina Don Quijote - That costume is ridiculous. Tutu on ice? Not so much.
Any of those beasty squat things.
Underwear (mostly for pairs) that is up the crotch. Full covering is much more appropriately. I really don't want to see that.
"My heart belongs to Daddy" is cringeworthy.
Costumes that are (supposedly strapless). Do these girls have no boobs at all, or are they just down at their knees?
I don't think Gabby's LP suits her at all.

And the pair spin with the woman with two bent legs. Not attractive IMO

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
A Canadian ice dance team that has since retired staked to Love Never Dies (the sequel to Phantom) and I think that might be my least favorite music I've seen in skating, but there are many, many other contenders. Ed Sheeran, Macklemore, and Mumford and Sons immediately come to mind.

I don't recall any sibling team skating a program that gave me genuine Flowers in the Attic vibes--not the Beiers skating to Polka "Like a Virgin" (which was kind of awesome) and not even the Hubbells skating to that Lennie Kravitz medley (which was awesome in a more literal way). But my knowledge of pre-2009 programs is pretty minimal.

Domnina and Shabolin "aborigine" program = of course. Also agree on many of the Schindler's List programs.

Michael Jackson crotch grabs usually seem ill-advised and easy to snark on, but I wouldn't say they make me uncomfortable.

Areski

I will add in the Pairs lift where the female partner is in what I call the frogs-legs position. There are way too many ugly lift positions but this one in particular is widely used due to the extra points it gets but totally detracts from the program.

Mmmm ... can anyone embed some link with a specific time frame with this sort of lift? I am not sure which you mean.

Skate Talker

Sorry - this vid doesn't really show it in it's full glory but the quickest one I could find - see around 3:50 mark for the start of the lift https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5OTCT8PeG4

Not sure if this link to a screen shot works or not, and again not the best view of it but for now it's something - https://screenshots.firefoxusercontent.com/images/9587e81d-742a-44be-81e5-197eaee98566.png
I think the first time this lift really hit me the wrong way was iirc when Aliona did it years ago while skating with Robin.

Edited to add: This version of their short program shows what seems like a longer lift and better angles to see what I mean. Try around the 1:30 mark on the vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBjt2GodEJE

Last edited:

Eeyora1

Do Pro programs count?

Oksana Baiul had several...

Naughty School Girl
Hit me Baby One More Time
And that Swan/ Ice Ice Baby Thing

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Okay - just your original post mentioned a pairs spin so I didn't realize this is what you were talking about.
Oh solid point. Although they are spinning.........it is a lift. Dumbness has overtaken me yet again.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I don't mind the Marilyn Monroe theme for her, but Laurine Lecavelier using "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" in her long program - that could go viral if caught (and not in a good way) by some news outlet.

I opened this thread thinking nothing makes me uncomfortable but then I remembered watching that program at Skate Canada last week and well feeling uncomfortable. Loved her in the short but when the free started I just had all these awkward feelings I found myself analyzing my reactions.

VGThuy

I admit that as a young teen watching my SLC tapes, I was embarrassed when an outsider caught me watching Anissina/Peizerat's 2002 "I Have a Dream" FD and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio's "I Will Survive" FD.

Eeyora1

Alina Don Quijote - That costume is ridiculous. Tutu on ice? Not so much.
Any of those beasty squat things.
Underwear (mostly for pairs) that is up the crotch. Full covering is much more appropriately. I really don't want to see that.
"My heart belongs to Daddy" is cringeworthy.
Costumes that are (supposedly strapless). Do these girls have no boobs at all, or are they just down at their knees?
I don't think Gabby's LP suits her at all.

And the pair spin with the woman with two bent legs. Not attractive IMO

I’m very disappointed with Gabby’s Long Program. And it’s mostly with the arrangement. I wanted the actual soundtrack.

Eeyora1

This is the stuff of nightmares for me and of course already mentioned and in the same style, Domnina/Shabalin 2010 OD., holocaust theme programs like Guignard/Fabbri 2016 FD.
What was even more bizarre was at Worlds directly in front of me was Barbara Fuser- Poli directly in front of me bopping her head up and down to the beat of the music with a stop watch while Guignard and Fabri performed.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Dominina and Shabalin should have been kicked out of the Olympics for their unapologetically racist disgrace. The fact that the ISU REWARDED that blatant racism by giving them a medal makes me more than a little uncomfortable.

Not a fan of 13 year olds skating to Big Spender (esp. With lyrics), minors skating to lyrics with Roxanne, junior pairs with massive and obvious age gaps skating to romantic programs, and anything even remotely romantic given to Yu and Zhang, especially if it involves him standing over her (jfc Chinese fed, think about how that LOOKS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information