Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

princeton123

Meh. The SD was...fine. It's hard for Latin SDs to be anything more than just 'fine' tbh.

I'm glad their free is their strongest program this year.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Was expecting FSU to explode! Ain't no team gonna touch that SD! I suggest an on-line vote for 100 pts just for practice performance LOL! That was freakin amazing!

Never good karma to make those predictions ;) I liked pretty much every SD I saw today which shows it is possible to create decent latin SDs. Montreal in particular is giving us a fun entertaining variety. KUDOS to them and just one more to see.

But these two really do rock those SDs.

VGThuy

I really love the outfits. I'm not into their SD right now, but it's definitely a grower.

sap5

Wow. I...really don't like that SD. At all. Hoping my opinion changes as the season goes on, but it's...not what I expected in the least. They're doing a ballroom-style samba, but ice-dance doesn't require you to do the over-the-top theatrics of ballroom, and the Rolling Stones certainly doesn't suggest it. It's like that choreography sucked the cool right out of that song.

Plus it just was way too reminiscent of their 2012 SD, which wasn't one of my favorites.

Hope my initial impressions are somehow wrong, because I...just don't know what else to say.

ETA: I do get the argument that the Stones are all about theatrics, but...I feel like this choreo is DWTS-type theatrics, not the good kind of theatrics.

Alexandria

OH gosh, I was SO worried about their SD, maybe just because we hadn't seen the beginning and I couldn't figure out how the music was going to work. But they rock it.

I do think their FD is stronger but that's a good thing and always bothered me last year that the SD was the highlight. This SD is super fun and will get the job done. Tessa's always been an amazing dancer, but I can really see how much work Scott has put into it to match her.

Also, I think the crowd will get into this and love it. I can't ask for that much more from their last Olympic SD - hit your levels and get the crowd into it and then kill the FD.

VGThuy

I'm not sure how much I like how un-Latiny this SD feels as well. I get doing something different so that we don't get like dozens of the same music cuts and dance styles/expression, but they've managed to avoid Latin artists (original artists of songs) except for a Santana instrumental piece. No Spanish language to be found at all.

princeton123

I really love the outfits. I'm not into their SD right now, but it's definitely a grower.

Looks like people were right and her blue dress she wore yesterday for FD practice was actually the SD dress?

I am not into Scott's shirt :yikes:I know people complain about men being in basic black all the time, but they do for good reason. They need to just let Tessa take the reins and be the star for this one.

sap5

I'm not sure how much I like how un-Latiny this SD feels as well. I get doing something different so that we don't get like dozens of the same music cuts and dance styles/expression, but they've managed to avoid Latin artists (original artists of songs) except for a Santana instrumental piece. No Spanish language to be found at all.

Weirdly, the choreography is super Latiny in the ballroom sense. So it's almost likes its a DWTS piece. And I've never liked that show.

I think what I was hoping for was more of a street Latin than ballroom Latin, when I first heard those pieces of music.

Alexandria

I liked that SD! They're both such amazing dancers and know how to move their bodies. I love the costumes too I think it's perfect!

I think it's really smart to emphasize that they can move their bodies like that, that they can do a traditional ballroom and a more modern ice dance. I think it's strategic to emphasize their versatility and things that separate them from many competitors.

sap5

I think it's really smart to emphasize that they can move their bodies like that, that they can do a traditional ballroom and a more modern ice dance. I think it's strategic to emphasize their versatility and things that separate them from many competitors.

I agree it's good to do that (especially early in your career), but V/M don't need to do it because everyone already knows about their versatility. Plus versatility isn't part of the scoring when you're in your final year of competing. But I don't mean to be argumentative.

Alexandria

I agree it's good to do that (especially early in your career), but V/M don't need to do it because everyone already knows about their versatility. Plus versatility isn't part of the scoring when you're in your final year of competing. But I don't mean to be argumentative.

Haha, it's fine. I'm frankly more of a V/M fan than even an ice dance fan in general (I wasn't a fan of ID until I randomly saw them on tv in the middle of the night in 2009 and they got me into it) so I'm more likely to find reasons to love it! I don't see how they're going to go wrong with the scoring here though, as long as they do technically well.

I also think people expect A LOT from V/M so it's easy to be critical. It's not going to be everyone's taste.

Shayii

Wow. I...really don't like that SD. At all. Hoping my opinion changes as the season goes on, but it's...not what I expected in the least. They're doing a ballroom-style samba, but ice-dance doesn't require you to do the over-the-top theatrics of ballroom, and the Rolling Stones certainly doesn't suggest it. It's like that choreography sucked the cool right out of that song.

Plus it just was way too reminiscent of their 2012 SD, which wasn't one of my favorites.

Hope my initial impressions are somehow wrong, because I...just don't know what else to say.

ETA: I do get the argument that the Stones are all about theatrics, but...I feel like this choreo is DWTS-type theatrics, not the good kind of theatrics.
They're not being overly theatrical though? They're dancing and looks like they're having fun which is what they're supposed to do. I was expecting it to remind me of their Latin FD or SD, but it didn't. Feels like a completely different program to me.

sap5

Haha, it's fine. I'm frankly more of a V/M fan than even an ice dance fan in general (I wasn't a fan of ID until I randomly saw them on tv in the middle of the night in 2009 and they got me into it) so I'm more likely to find reasons to love it! I don't see how they're going to go wrong with the scoring here though, as long as they do technically well.

I also think people expect A LOT from V/M so it's easy to be critical. It's not going to be everyone's taste.

Expecting a lot is definitely true! That's what makes them legends, and sometimes hard to be a fan. I expect so much because I know they can do so much, which is great in itself. Like I said before, what I was hoping for was street Latin, because we don't see much of it in ice dance. It would be so cool to see that done, and of course, when it comes to breaking new ground, I expect a team like V/M to do it, because they've done just that so many times before. ;)

VGThuy

It's definitely high expectations coming into play especially after the HPC practice clips. I think if I just see them do that rhumba pattern then my enjoyment of that SD will increase by a lot. It's still gold medal worthy.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I fear, if that's the best SD of the season, that those SDs are going to be painfull to watch.
I fell in love last season at first practice with their SD, this one is barely ok.
And I didn't like W&P or G&P at all :( Oh well I'll rethink on it during comp.

sap5

They're not being overly theatrical though? They're dancing and looks like they're having fun which is what they're supposed to do. I was expecting it to remind me of their Latin FD or SD, but it didn't. Feels like a completely different program to me.

Maybe overly theatrical isn't the best description? I'm just trying to describe the way Latin is done in competitive ballroom, which looks over the top and not natural to me. But really, this is because I expected something different based on the music choices. Maybe it's another argument for not knowing the music choice until you see the performance? ;)

ETA: You know what else it is? Somehow they don't look like themselves in this? The best thing about the Prince SD is that they looked like themselves, whereas here they look like they're definitely playing a part. Like they're kind of forcing the movement a bit?

I'm going to stop now until the actual performance, because this was practice after all.

Alexandria

Expecting a lot is definitely true! That's what makes them legends, and sometimes hard to be a fan. I expect so much because I know they can do so much, which is great in itself. Like I said before, what I was hoping for was street Latin, because we don't see much of it in ice dance. It would be so cool to see that done, and of course, when it comes to breaking new ground, I expect a team like V/M to do it, because they've done just that so many times before. ;)

That's true about breaking new ground. I think I wasn't expecting that so I'm not disappointed. I just wanted to see Tessa shaking that body so it's not as hard to satisfy me, haha.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It's definitely high expectations coming into play especially after the HPC practice clips. I think if I just see them do that rhumba pattern then my enjoyment of that SD will increase by a lot. It's still gold medal worthy.

Wasnt the only clip we saw from HPC the rhumba pattern?

asunta

I never thought they I will write this. They completely lost good taste forever ? Scott looks so ridiculous and trashy in this horrible "blouse" from SD. This kind of costume represent the sort of tacky tendency which I never like in figure skating and ballroom dancing. VM in old days they were so different, stylish and refined, and now they choose something like this.

Rafter

ETA: You know what else it is? Somehow they don't look like themselves in this? .

I think that's their point.

The Hotel California section looks like it'll be super sultry. Can't wait to see the whole program. Tessa's costume is stunning. She's looking super fit.

chapis

I never thought they I will write this. They completely lost good taste forever ? Scott looks so ridiculous and trashy in this horrible "blouse" from SD. This kind of costume represent the sort of tacky tendency which I never like in figure skating and ballroom dancing. VM in old days they were so different, stylish and refined, and now they choose something like this.

I think you are exaggerating, but I prefer the blue dress from yesterday.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I guess the great thing about the variety of SDs this year is that there will be something for everyone. I at least am very happy with what I see, including the costuming, and feel very confident for them. When they debuted Prince last year it wasn't hip hop enough, didn't fit the requirements for some and Tessa's costumes were trashy and it all worked out well. I think it will again.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think you are exaggerating, but I prefer the blue dress from yesterday.

The blue dress from yesterday wouldn't suit this SD at all imo. I thought people were getting carried away yesterday assuming it was SD dress. I can see where the designer was going with the dress and it works better for the FD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information