2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Marco

I am OK with S&H's music choices but the actual music edits and programs were underwhelming. The Turandot edits were particularly abrupt and did not flow well. Perhaps once they feel more comfortable with the program and the elements, the impact would be different.

Rather, I am pleasantly surprised by the short programs of the other two Chinese teams. Swan Lake for Zhang Hao and daughter is genius. The tango is definitely the slow, pretty music that Peng & Jin prefer, but I think it will push them to be more outwardly and expressive for the longer term.

Loving the lifts for all the Chinese teams but HATING all the ending poses. :p

chapis

I don't like T/M's LP, or music cuts or costumes. But the issue is not Mozer's taste.... It is a translation issue.... They though "Candyman" is a song about post WWII American Soda-fountain joint where Girl/Boy are out on a date, and Candy-man serves them ice-cream..

The second they came out on the ice, i had a gut feeling..... they don't know the words to the song......:rofl: and they are thinking "Andrews Sisters costume" on Aguilera...... and itsy bitsy tini wini yellow polka dot bikini.......

I don´t know if they understand the lyrics but at Christina's video, she seems to be just dancing and having fun with the soldiers. I guess they are just trying imitate the style of the video. If Christina is allowed to do that, why do not they? :p

Dobre

Tarasova/Morozov don't even need good choreography. Just slap some random boring Mozart or Beethoven in the background and let them do their thing?

It's called their short program, and I'm not hearing any rave reviews.

The problem is not Tchernyshev or Mozer. (Though Mozer's taste is not helping). The problem is that T&M are not performers. Their classical programs put you to sleep. Their lively programs feel less than lively. Tarasova tries, but she doesn't emote past the second row. (If they are going to go with this style, it would not hurt to darken her hair & put on some red lipstick so she isn't so pale that she disappears). I'm not sure if he tries to express the program or not. (I didn't think so last year, but I'm thinking maybe in this new program, which I only watched the one time).

The most successful program they have had in the last several years was last year's SP. The music sold the program for them. (Essentially they did the same thing with their Irish program a few years ago, and again the music combined with T&M's amazing elements got the crowd involved. Even without adequate expression). That is what they have attempted to do with this new program, IMO. Use upbeat, crowd-friendly music that will somehow create the relationship for them. Except the selections are in bad taste. They are neither connected by theme nor era. There are too many different pieces. Too many songs with lyrics, which T&M would know had they paid attention to the random medley that Marchei & Hotarek chucked a couple seasons ago.

The first part of this new program is not bad, IMO. The second could be made better with practice & more smooth choreography. The third & fourth are just too much and a mess. They either need to start from scratch or at least take out one of these pieces--preferably both--& help the program feel more unified.

But this team has a real weakness when it comes to performance.

Fortunately for them, they are not the first pair team with little to zero facial expression ever to challenge for or even win an Olympic gold medal. And their elements can be absolutely stellar. Unfortunately for them, they are up against at least two pair teams that are rather excellent at both the elements and the performance.

Last edited:

Sabine-Yuna

Oh. I am sure the quad twist and the 3ATh will be part of the FS. Not sure about the 4STh. Aljona has overrotated almost every 3STh so far and the BV is 3.7 points higher. I think she would like to go for it.
I guess she would like to go for the 4STh but it's a risk they probably don't have to take. The programs are so packed with choreography (which is great) and transitions there is just no time to prepare a risky element and I'm not sure if anyone could have the stamina to do programs like that and a Quad Twist and a 4STh next to the rest of excellent elements. I would say this is nearly impossible, but if they prove me wrong it' s fine with me. I think these programs are winning programs without 4Tw and 4STh.

umronnie

I guess she would like to go for the 4STh but it's a risk they probably don't have to take. The programs are so packed with choreography (which is great) and transitions there is just no time to prepare a risky element and I'm not sure if anyone could have the stamina to do programs like that and a Quad Twist and a 4STh next to the rest of excellent elements. I would say this is nearly impossible, but if they prove me wrong it' s fine with me. I think these programs are winning programs without 4Tw and 4STh.
You tease!

nimi

Updates on some Finnish skaters' programs from Lombardia Trophy

Valtter Virtanen
SP Georgia On My Mind (Ray Charles) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii8EBZkQtCM

Emmi Peltonen
SP Tango Jalousie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gwR21aKNcg
FP Papa Can You Hear Me? (Streisand, Les Mis)
ETA: the FP vid has appeared https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=optD1PORYtw

Törn/Partanen
Samba: Sambando performed by Los Ritmos Calientes
Rhumba: Con Los Anos Que Me Quedan performed by Thalia
Samba: Are You Ready? performed by Alessandro Olivato
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014598.htm

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I don´t know if they understand the lyrics but at Christina's video, she seems to be just dancing and having fun with the soldiers. I guess they are just trying imitate the style of the video. If Christina is allowed to do that, why do not they? :p
I hate to say that, i really like T/M..... but the costumes in Aguilera's video are superb and reflect the "time, era, and spirit". The costumes which T/M are wearing are 1980's "new wave", and chore close to "let's get physical"... He looks like "Elivs Costello" and she like a Valley Girl..... :D
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-A6SwvFRC8co/U_wi2O3kGGI/AAAAAAAAEsU/PQynqOuXfc8/s1600/vox.931101.jpg
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d5b3ec90f3b6cf266c972e38c54c57ed.wix_mp_1024

MAXSwagg

Omg, what a chopped and screwed program! I would give this a 7 at most for composition! The two pieces have nothing to do with one another, and the step sequence is a completely missed opportunity to incorporate Nijinsky's original Ballets Russes choreography (the first second or two when it started I got very excited but it was just a let down). I get how they're trying to follow the premise of the movie by chopping the pieces together but... Why didn't they just make the whole program with Le Sacre? I will need time with this. Loved the spins at the end though, with good speed and strong positions (except the camel position, which was ugly...ugly legs).

VGThuy

Probably because the program was probably inspired by the life story of ballet dancer Li Cunxin where The Rite of Spring is a major point in the film but isn't the entire film where Nathan's music comes from. As for why step sequences aren't reflecting the music more, I've been arguing that about every skater since 2008.

MAXSwagg

Probably because the program was probably inspired by the life story of ballet dancer Li Cunxin where The Rite of Spring is a major point in the film but isn't the entire film where Nathan's music comes from. As for why step sequences aren't reflecting the music more, I've been arguing that about every skater since 2008.

Yah, I said that. But it doesn't work for me at this point. Good thing it's early. One thing I also felt at the beginning was "Oh, Yuna's arm choreography." LOL Love it!

jenny12

Nathan Chen's music choices this year are amazing! It'll be exciting to see these programs grow.
I can't wait to see that FS.

Yes, I am so impressed with Nathan's improvement between seasons! He really developed his style so much and looks like he has better flow as well! What incredible work ethic he must have and it clearly shows in not only his jumps, but his components. Totally amazed!

Pretty Vegas

I just cant believe we didn't find out his program until he went out and skated it. I can't remember that ever really happening, it didn't even get leaked via practice information or anything. I love the program - I think he has two fantastic vehicles to carry him this season.

VGThuy

Yah, I said that. But it doesn't work for me at this point. Good thing it's early.

I think I responded to you before you edited that part in. I get your point. I do wish he could do more in it, but it's early and he has to meet level 4 standards. Say what we will about empty programs of the past, but if a skater really wanted to, they had the ability and time to make footwork with real character and where the homage could be played up more. I really do think IJS requirements have killed it for the most part. I imagine even Patrick and Yuzu's footwork would be a lot more memorable if they had more creative control over their footwork sequences rather than having to meet level 4 standards.

Willin

@MAXSwagg
It could be worse. Back at 2010 Synchro Worlds the Rockettes had 2/3 of their LP was "Catch me if you can" and "Mission Impossible". And then the last 1/3 was tropical hula-esque music. It only made a bit of sense when you saw their jumbotron team video that explained the program was about women carrying out a bank robbery together and then escaping to a tropical island paradise with their money. This choice makes a lot more sense and doesn't require a paragraph long explanation of the music choice. (God that program was so nonsensical and terrible and I still can't believe they won with it) And that was at the end of a season.

MAXSwagg

I think I responded to you before you edited that part in. I get your point. I do wish he could do more in it, but it's early and he has to meet level 4 standards. Say what we will about empty programs of the past, but if a skater really wanted to, they had the ability and time to make footwork with real character and where the homage could be played up more. I really do think IJS requirements have killed it for the most part. I imagine even Patrick and Yuzu's footwork would be a lot more memorable if they had more creative control over their footwork sequences rather than having to meet level 4 standards.

This is true, unfortunately. The restrictions ruined would've could've been an incredible step sequence! Loved the beginning though.

VGThuy

@MAXSwagg
It could be worse. Back at 2010 Synchro Worlds the Rockettes had 2/3 of their LP was "Catch me if you can" and "Mission Impossible". And then the last 1/3 was tropical hula-esque music. It only made a bit of sense when you saw their jumbotron team video that explained the program was about women carrying out a bank robbery together and then escaping to a tropical island paradise with their money. This choice makes a lot more sense and doesn't require a paragraph long explanation of the music choice. (God that program was so nonsensical and terrible and I still can't believe they won with it)

Did Averbukh choreograph it? If he had, I'm sure there would be a lot more pathos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information