2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Tinami Amori

I really like this version of the song, and the rhythm is more obvious than the original IMO. https://youtu.be/4ujw-u5OaR4
This version comes from a 2-part album called "Bossa N' Stones Vol 1 & 2" with many Rolling Stones songs turned to Latin Rhythm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd9_FU-Lpa0&list=PLNSslBRaE3Xwa0ITv8E2LqM_GbTfwj4kL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsCebWD0o4&list=PL371808ADCACDC5AC

a lovely version is "Angie"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAyxw0yPSg

VGThuy

Isn't that sort of true for POTO, Les Mis, Carmen, and other musicals/operas/movie soundtracks?

supergirl573

I think Sympathy for the Devil in their final Olympics is about as badass as it gets. :respec: :kickass: I can already say that I love SD (if it's as musical as they usually are).

I bet that song gets downloaded a lot on iTunes this week. :p
I never listened to the song, but I actually have the digital album it on, so I listened to it yesterday.

C

casken

It's not so much the music, or what tracks they chose, it's the fact that "Moulin Rouge" signals that we're probably getting another variation of the same base V&M FD, rather than something really unexpected and adventurous. I'm basically expecting a more intense version of their "Funny Face" FD. Maybe I will be wrong and it will be filled with with some crazy unexpected, innovative, risky choreography and connecting moves.

analia

Hate Moulin Rouge.
La La Land is getting too much hate for no reason. It's pretty good music as far as trendy movie soundtrack goes. Same as The Artist a few years back. (Great Gatsby on the other hand produced horrid skating programs.) I will take either over Moulin Rouge. How many people are skating to Vivaldi's Four Seasons this year? Countless and I will take La La Land over that too, though I wish people would skate to Tchaikovsky's Seasons.

nimi

Yeah you don't use a lame cover version of this song instead of Mick's threatening vocals on the original.
...except that's exactly what many skaters would do. And DO do. Unfortunately. Hopefully not in this case, but you never know.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Isn't that sort of true for POTO, Les Mis, Carmen, and other musicals/operas/movie soundtracks?

Maybe. Moulin Rouge isn't really a cohesive sound. It's more of a two hour programming block of music videos; the whole gimmick being a mash up of covers from a wide variety of musicians and styles. I wouldn't say it's variations of the same theme and sound throughout like POTO or Les Mis. If you're skating to Music of the Night, you're basically skating to All I Ask of You. :p

VGThuy

Maybe. Moulin Rouge isn't really a cohesive sound. It's more of a two hour programming block of music videos; the whole gimmick being a mash up of covers from a wide variety of musicians and styles. I wouldn't say it's variations of the same theme and sound throughout like POTO or Les Mis. If you're skating to Music of the Night, you're basically skating to All I Ask of You. :p

:lol:

No argument from me.

Tinami Amori

NAOTMAA

There are so many great musicals in Hollywood's history, its a shame skaters these days choose to overuse Moulin Rouge above them all. It's so unimaginative, lazy and overrated :slinkaway

Rodgers and Hammerstein have some wonderful dance sections in their musicals (Carousel and Oklahoma just to name two). My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof and Singin in the Rain have been used now and then but not enough considering their musicality. Has anybody ever done Gigi or Meet me in St Louis? And then there's all that Disney too. The choices are endless and they choose Moulin Rouge :wall:

I'd love to see a A Star is born program :) I'm sure some lady would make a great Judy on ice :smokin:

Last edited:

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
I'd love to see a A Star is born program :) I'm sure some lady would make a great Judy on ice :smokin:
I agree, although I would change the word "lady" to "skater" due to some of the names that immediately come to mind.

Personally, I am thrilled that Virtue and Moir are skating to Moulin Rouge--assuming he will be portraying a decrepit, vertiginous Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec and she will be the prostitute who gave Toulouse-Lautrec syphilis.

I'm confident Marie-Universe can create a lift designed to perfectly evoke an infectious sexual encounter. It wouldn't have to be that different from some of their Carmen lifts, actually.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There are so many great musicals in Hollywood's history, its a shame skaters these days choose to overuse Moulin Rouge above them all. It's so unimaginative, lazy and overrated :slinkaway

Rodgers and Hammerstein have some wonderful dance sections in their musicals (Carousel and Oklahoma just to name two). My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof and Singin in the Rain have been used now and then but not enough considering their musicality. Has anybody ever done Gigi or Meet me in St Louis? And then there's all that Disney too. The choices are endless and they choose Moulin Rouge :wall:

Egads. I´ll take MR over your suggestions any day. I guess that's the thing, we all have different taste and think our taste is the right taste but for me, as a V/M fan, I thank god they made the choice they did over those listed in your post. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

MAXSwagg

Yuzu and Mr. Chiddy should've just gone back to Phantom, so we could have battle of the Phantoms. Javier who?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Hopefully they won't butcher the Stones's work like they did with Prince's.

That said, looking forward to the program!

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
In the video interview with V/M posted in the HPC thread:
Moulin Rouge FD
Sympathy for the Devil, Hotel California, Santana for SD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information