2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Tessa Virtue has "revealed" V/M's music:
SD (tweeted yesterday): https://twitter.com/tessavirtue/status/902259072329596928
FD (tweeted today): https://twitter.com/tessavirtue/status/902563486986678272

OK, so Im dense. Im supposed to figure this out?

SD.. no idea..

FD... Moulin Rouge maybe??? Story about Love? Sounds like Ewan McGregor.... Oh Dear God, is there gonna be another Moulin Rouge????? Where did creativity go in figure skiating. If you know there will be 147 Moulin Rouges why would someone else throw their horse in that race? Somewhere we need to resurrect the Michelle Kwan & Lori Nichol team.

kittysk8ts

OK, so Im dense. Im supposed to figure this out?

SD.. no idea..

FD... Moulin Rouge maybe??? Story about Love? Sounds like Ewan McGregor.... Oh Dear God, is there gonna be another Moulin Rouge????? Where did creativity go in figure skiating. If you know there will be 147 Moulin Rouges why would someone else throw their horse in that race? Somewhere we need to resurrect the Michelle Kwan & Lori Nichol team.
LOL. Yes, Moulin Rouge for the FD and the tweet re the SD is a line from the song Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones.

IMHO, V/M can take the warhorses like Moulin Rouge and make them their own, so I am personally good with it.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
So we have about another 3 pages of Moulin Rouge ahead of us.

This is exactly the reason Ashley went back to it, I'm telling you it has to be! V/M of all people went with her theme?! (I know it's not her theme and anybody can skate to it whenever they want.) With an Olympic audience watching? (way more than Boston Worlds) oh no you better don't! :glamor:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
LOL this is like politics and the media.

So today no one will be talking about Ashley Wagner and the Moulin Rouge, because they are talking about V&M and the Moulin Rouge. Then tomorrow no one will care when Carolina Kostner announces guess what folks....."Moulin Rouge!". Genius!

chapis

LOL. Yes, Moulin Rouge for the FD and the tweet re the SD is a line from the song Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones.

IMHO, V/M can take the warhorses like Moulin Rouge and make them their own, so I am personally good with it.

ok, Is this supposed to be Latin rhythm or are they using another version?

quartz

scratching at the light
So we have about another 3 pages of Moulin Rouge ahead of us.

This is exactly the reason Ashley went back to it, I'm telling you it has to be! V/M of all people went with her theme?! (I know it's not her theme and anybody can skate to it whenever they want.) With an Olympic audience watching? (way more than Boston Worlds) oh no you better don't! :glamor:
3?? Probably more like 10.....:scream:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Honestly there's so much music in MR that I'm sure they've got their own version. They're Olympic champions and know the way this sport works, I doubt it'll be anything like Ashley's version (they were at Boston Worlds and heard the screaming fans, they don't want those fans to scream at them). ;) Probably totally different and with some Tango de Roxanne for good measure. It's a new theme for ice dance and it'll be fabulous.

it's still pretty hilarious how this all went down. :rofl: we got the biggest psych-out ever as skating fans this year with La La Land in general. Now all we have left is a La La Adam, but the show must go on. :D

Dobre

How many skaters are actually doing MR

I count ten that we have listed thus far:

Virtue & Moir
Ashley Wagner
Karen Chen
Vincent Zhao
Michael Christian Martinez
Grant Hochstein
Andrew Torgashev
Manta & Johnson
Natalie D'Alessandro & Bruce Waddell
Alicia Fabbri & Claudio Pietrantonio

(We can expect six of those at U.S. Nationals. Obviously Ashley's silver medal left an impression . . .)

we got the biggest psych-out ever as skating fans this year with La La Land in general. Now all we have left is a La La Adam

I count 14 La La Lands. Believe me when I say that if you are watching juniors, you will have your fill of this music. None by top senior athletes higher than Astakhova & Rogonov though.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Vincent's last name is ZHOU. :)

Hochstein's SP is "Your Song"; "El Tango de Roxanne" seems to be the overwhelming song of choice from Moulin Rouge. ;)

Also, Kailani Craine is using "Bolero" from MR in her FS (she debuted the program earlier this month at the Asian Open Trophy in Hong Kong).

Dobre

Kaitlyn Weaver is one of only two athletes I have ever seen skate up to the power of Roxanne for me. The other was Takahashi. Moulin Rouge at 2010 Skate America is the first memory I have of Weaver & Poje. (I think Karen does not do a bad job. She may be added to my list by season's end).

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I wonder how Weaver/Poje feel about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqpK8Zmo5Do

That said, I am sure that V/M's MR will be vastly different.

:lol: of course. If there were ever a time I admit to ignoring Weaver & Poje before 2012, this is it. (I think V/M's version will be stronger)

Also really cool that the top two Canadian teams have contrasting FD's with MR and Spartacus. I think that could really help Weaver & Poje in a political sense.

sap5

That's the thing with a warhorse, right? There are so many people who have done it already. Doesn't mean it can't be done in a new way, but I'll admit that I'm a bit disappointed. There's so much music in the world! How can it be that the same pieces are used over and over again? Are the requirements so restrictive that truly only a few pieces can work as skating music?

ETA: I realize that we don't know what particular pieces V/M will select, so it could be that they use pieces that no one has used. It's more a comment about using the same general idea, and whether this is because the current rules are preventing skaters from using very different types of music.

clairecloutier

Kaitlyn Weaver is one of only two athletes I have ever seen skate up to the power of Roxanne for me. The other was Takahashi. Moulin Rouge at 2010 Skate America is the first memory I have of Weaver & Poje. (I think Karen does not do a bad job. She may be added to my list by season's end).

I have to agree that Weaver/Poje's Moulin Rouge remains one of the best I have seen. Kaitlyn in particular really caught the vulgar/wild feel that Tango de Roxanne had in the movie and went with it. (I mean this entirely in a good way, not as a criticism. She expressed the mood of the music.) When I think of a Moulin Rouge program, I probably think of W/P's first, and then Ashley Wagner's.

jmtfti

I count eight that we have listed thus far:

Virtue & Moir
Ashley Wagner
Karen Chen
Vincent Zhao
Grant Hochstein
Andrew Torgashev
Manta & Johnson

(We can expect six of those at U.S. Nationals. Obviously Ashley's silver medal left an impression . . .)

If you're going to count La La Land juniors, only fair to do the same with Moulin Rouge, which adds at least:

I feel sure I've heard another, but might be conflating with last season (Evelyn Walsh & Trennt Michaud had one then, for example).

chantilly

I count eight that we have listed thus far:

Virtue & Moir
Ashley Wagner
Karen Chen
Vincent Zhao
Grant Hochstein
Andrew Torgashev
Manta & Johnson

I count 14 La La Lands. Believe me when I say that if you are watching juniors, you will have your fill of this music. None by top senior athletes higher than Astakhova & Rogonov though.

How many of those above skaters do we expect to make the Olympic team?
I think it may be between Ashley and Karen depending on Nationals.
Does Grant have a decent shot with Brown and Zhou?
Honestly asking.

chapis

If you're going to count La La Land juniors, only fair to do the same with Moulin Rouge, which adds at least:

I feel sure I've heard another, but might be conflating with last season (Evelyn Walsh & Trennt Michaud had one then, for example).

and la la land and moulin rouge are not comparable because we will have the new programs of both pieces but many people have in their mind years and years of skaters using MR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information