ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating 2017/18 - locations & preliminary information

Sabine-Yuna

She defeated the novice ladies champion in international competition directly after Nationals, though. And at the Broadmoor Open. (Won her group at the Bavarian Open). Makes sense that Cui is in the mix.

I'm sure S. Korea is using their spots. (Their JGP selection competition is being held at the end of this month, but they had 50 junior ladies at Nationals). If a place has opened in a ladies' event, I don't see it being from Korea. It does sound like Korea will let some of their junior men's places go, however, based on the posted criteria.
I would guess Germany will not use the ladies Spot, so the US has got 2.

J

Jeschke

I would guess Germany will not use the ladies Spot, so the US has got 2.
I would not guess on that; might depend on what the US is offering :EVILLE:

Dastich will do the jgp circuit pretty sure to gain some world ranking points (or?).
There is Hus, Marold, Isaev.
Is Scheidt finally too old?

Sabine-Yuna

I would not guess on that; might depend on what the US is offering :EVILLE:

Dastich will do the jgp circuit pretty sure to gain some world ranking points (or?).
There is Hus, Marold, Isaev.
Is Scheidt finally too old?
I'm pretty sure that the German Fed. will not spend the money for flights to Australia. There is just one (Dastich) real good German junior lady and a lot of spots to fill. Germany does not really need that spot in Australia. And I doubt that Dastich would like to have this long travel. If she does not want to go there no German lady will probably go.

J

Jeschke

My fault; didn't realize we speak actually of the event in AUS :wall:

Yeah, I guess it's pretty sure no german lady is sent :p

mgobluegirl

I would be willing to bet that the social media clips of Ting posted by her coach a few weeks ago may have made a difference in getting her that spot. She wasn't in even in the ISP before that, and she sure looked impressive in those clips. Well-played.

Dobre

She was named to the ISP after the Broadmoor. It was well-played, but only because she has the results to go with it. None of last year's novices were named to the ISP until after the Broadmoor. I would assume USFS wanted to see how they would do this summer. At the Broadmoor, the top three placements in the ladies' jump competition all went to last year's novices. One could say they made a good argument for themselves. After the competition, three of last year's novice ladies were added to the list. And Liu was invited to compete in Advanced Novices at the Asian Open.

Debbie S

Ting and other top Novices were invited to the USFS high performance singles camp (held in CO right after Broadmoor). I imagine it was a combo of their comp performances and the monitoring they received at the camp that got them added to the ISP. As others have noted above, Ting likely received an extra spot made available to the U.S. for AUS only. We don't know yet who has been assigned to future JGPs but I would assume all the top Junior Ladies from Nats who have done well this summer will get a chance, as well as last year's top Novices who monitored well.

5Ali3

I would be willing to bet that the social media clips of Ting posted by her coach a few weeks ago may have made a difference in getting her that spot. She wasn't in even in the ISP before that, and she sure looked impressive in those clips. Well-played.

:rofl: International Committee isn't using Instagram to determine assignments. Training videos and element clips are frequently sent directly to monitors and other officials, but the ability to execute elements in isolation doesn't earn a skater an international assignment: the ability to execute those elements within the context of a full program in a pressure situation earns international assignments.

mgobluegirl

:rofl: International Committee isn't using Instagram to determine assignments. Training videos and element clips are frequently sent directly to monitors and other officials, but the ability to execute elements in isolation doesn't earn a skater an international assignment: the ability to execute those elements within the context of a full program in a pressure situation earns international assignments.

I know it sounds stupid when put that way, but there's no denying that a smart social media presence matters in decisions made by USFS.

clairecloutier

I know it sounds stupid when put that way, but there's no denying that a smart social media presence matters in decisions made by USFS.

Buzz matters. And who knows, it may even reach the ears/eyes of International Committee members now & then. ;) No one's going to seriously argue that Ting got a JGP just because of an Instagram post. But, you know, I don't think it hurt, either. :D

sandra_persch

I'm pretty sure that the German Fed. will not spend the money for flights to Australia. There is just one (Dastich) real good German junior lady and a lot of spots to fill. Germany does not really need that spot in Australia. And I doubt that Dastich would like to have this long travel. If she does not want to go there no German lady will probably go.

You never know. I would guess it also depends how the ladies did in monitoring.
Last time the JGP was in Australia they did send a skater - Berneck. And when the JGP went to South Africa 2 ladies went too.
Would also depend if Germany was able to switch the AUS spot for a second spot closer to home.

@Jeschke, Scheidt has not aged out yet.

Of the C team Hus, Marold, Isaev, Scheidt and Dastich seem likely JGP participants.
Kettl is new and doesnt have the hard jumps as far as I konw and Helleken coming back from injury is probably not ready yet.
I would guess Hocke is focusing on pairs this season, else she would we a sure JGP participant too.
I cant see any of the DC ladies being considered unless the C team does really bad in monitoring and someone from the DC that is moving up to juniors stands out.

oleada

Any word on when the first entries will be posted? Should be soon, right?

Seerek

Sorry, this might have been discussed in another thread, but does anyone know of any skaters that could potentially have a conflict with a Junior Grand Prix event and Nebelhorn (in late September)?

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Men
1 Darian KAPTICH AUS 1
2 James MIN AUS 1
3 Giuseppe TRIULCIO AUS 1
James THOMPSON AUS 1 S
4 Joseph PHAN CAN 2
Iliya KOVLER CAN 2 S
Conrad ORZEL CAN 2 S
Samuel TURCOTTE CAN 2 S
5 Micah TANG TPE 3
6 Calvin PRATAMA INA 4
7 Daniel GRASSL ITA 5
8 Yuto KISHINA JPN 6
9 Taichiro YAMAKUMA JPN 6
Sena MIYAKE JPN 6 S
Koshiro SHIMADA JPN 6 S
Mitsuki SUMOTO JPN 6 S
Tatsuya TSUBOI JPN 6 S
10 Donovan CARRILLO MEX 7
11 Harrison BAIN NZL 8
Brian LEE NZL 8 S
12 Yamato ROWE PHI 9
13 Men KOR TBA KOR 10
14 Men KOR TBA KOR 10
15 Artem KOVALEV RUS 11
16 Roman SAVOSIN RUS 11
Egor RUKHIN RUS 11 S
Ilia SKIRDA RUS 11 S
17 Pagiel Yie Ken SNG SGP 12
Chadwick WANG SGP 12 S
18 Alexei KRASNOZHON USA 13
19 Eric SJOBERG USA 13
Ryan DUNK USA 13 S
Tomoki HIWATASHI USA 13 S
Joseph KANG USA 13 S
Maxim NAUMOV USA 13 S
Camden PULKINEN USA 13 S
Andrew TORGASHEV USA 13 S
Kendrick WESTON USA 13 S

Junior Ladies
1 Amelia Scarlett JACKSON AUS 1
2 Jordan LAZARUS AUS 1
3 Serena XU AUS 1
Katie PASFIELD AUS 1 S
Amelia SADLER AUS 1 S
Shania SIME AUS 1 S
Lucy Sori YUN AUS 1 S
4 Aurora COTOP CAN 2
Emily BAUSBACK CAN 2 S
Olivia GRAN CAN 2 S
Lissa Anne MCGAGHEY CAN 2 S
5 Amy LIN TPE 3
6 Emmi PELTONEN FIN 4
Linnea CEDER FIN 4 S
Laura KARHUNEN FIN 4 S
Viveca LINDFORS FIN 4 S
Vera STOLT FIN 4 S
Sofia SULA FIN 4 S
7 Yi Christy LEUNG HKG 5
8 Arunima VERABELLI IND 6
9 Maria BLESSIA INA 7
10 Sophie ABRAMS ISR 8
11 Akari MATSUOKA JPN 9
12 Riko TAKINO JPN 9
Nana ARAKI JPN 9 S
Moa IWANO JPN 9 S
Rino KASAKAKE JPN 9 S
Rika KIHIRA JPN 9 S
Akari MATSUBARA JPN 9 S
Rion SUMIYOSHI JPN 9 S
Mako YAMASHITA JPN 9 S
Yuhana YOKOI JPN 9 S
13 Aleksandra SHLAHOVA LAT 10
Elizabete JUBKANE LAT 10 S
14 Andrea MONTESINOS CANTU MEX 11
15 Nicola KORCK NZL 12
Zara ANTHONY-WHIGHAM NZL 12 S
16 Bianca Arianne VINARAO PHI 13
17 Lady KOR TBA KOR 14
18 Lady KOR TBA KOR 14
19 Anastasiia GULIAKOVA RUS 15
20 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS 15
Daria PANENKOVA RUS 15 S
Anastasia TARAKANOVA RUS 15 S
21 Xin Yi LOKE SGP 16
Ching Ting SU SGP 16 S
22 Selma IHR SWE 17
Cassandra JOHANSSON SWE 17 S
Emma KIVIOJA SWE 17 S
Jelizaveta KOPACA SWE 17 S
Lisa LAGER SWE 17 S
Anita ÖSTLUND SWE 17 S
Smilla SZALKAI SWE 17 S
23 Guzide Irmak BAYIR TUR 18
24 Ting CUI USA 19
25 Kaitlyn NGUYEN USA 19
Starr ANDREWS USA 19 S
Hanna HARRELL USA 19 S
Tessa HONG USA 19 S
Angelina HUANG USA 19 S
Ashley KIM USA 19 S
Ashley LIN USA 19 S
Emmy MA USA 19 S
Nina OUELLETTE USA 19 S
Paige RYDBERG USA 19 S
Audrey SHIN USA 19 S
Megan WESSENBERG USA 19 S

Junior Ice Dance
1 Joanne CHO / Jake MEYER AUS 1
2 Jessica PALFREYMAN / Charlton DOHERTY AUS 1
3 Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL CAN 2
4 Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA CAN 2
Alicia FABBRI / Claudio PIETRANTONIO CAN 2 S
Irina GALIYANOVA / Tommy TANG CAN 2 S
Seungyun HAN / Grayson LOCHHEAD CAN 2 S
Ashlynne STAIRS / Lee ROYER CAN 2 S
5 Sasha FEAR / George WADDELL GBR 3
6 KOR TBA / KOR TBA KOR 4
7 Elizaveta KHUDAIBERDIEVA / Nikita NAZAROV RUS 5
8 Sofia POLISHCHUK / Alexander VAKHNOV RUS 5
Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Alexey KARPUSHOV RUS 5 S
Elizaveta SHANAEVA / Devid NARYZHNYY RUS 5 S
9 Eliana GROPMAN / Ian SOMERVILLE USA 6
10 Chloe LEWIS / Logan BYE USA 6
Isabella AMOIA / Luca BECKER USA 6 S
Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA 6 S
Katarina DELCAMP / Maxwell GART USA 6 S
Alina EFIMOVA / Alexander PETROV USA 6 S
Sophia ELDER / Christopher ELDER USA 6 S
Caroline GREEN / Gordon GREEN USA 6 S
Emma GUNTER / Caleb WEIN USA 6 S

S - Substitute Entry

25.07.2017 10:51:49

ETA that I've created the competition thread for this JGP in the Kiss & Cry section.

Last edited:

Debbie S

I find it interesting that there are 13 U.S. Junior Ladies submitted, with only 8 (as of now) spots and 9 Junior Men and 9 Dance teams, and we have 14 spots for each. I would assume (hope!) that some men and dance teams will qualify for the final, but it looks like quite a few ladies on the list won't get an assignment this year - hopefully, there will be additional int'ls in the fall and spring they can go to.

Sylvia

TBD
I find it interesting that there are 13 U.S. Junior Ladies submitted, with only 8 (as of now) spots ... but it looks like quite a few ladies on the list won't get an assignment this year - hopefully, there will be additional int'ls in the fall and spring they can go to.
Hanna Harrell and Audrey Shin will be competing in the Junior Ladies event at the Asian Open FS Trophy in Hong Kong next week (competition thread has been started in Kiss & Cry).

Dobre

I find it interesting that there are 13 U.S. Junior Ladies submitted, with only 8 (as of now) spots and 9 Junior Men and 9 Dance teams, and we have 14 spots for each.

The big dance event is this weekend. This is a nice list, but based on results at Nationals & the Chesapeake Open, there are a few more dance teams that could plausibly earn the ISP qualifying score and/or make a statement by defeating some of the teams on the current sub list and be added. Not to the Brisbane JGP but to a later one.

Chemistry66

I find it interesting that there are 13 U.S. Junior Ladies submitted, with only 8 (as of now) spots and 9 Junior Men and 9 Dance teams, and we have 14 spots for each. I would assume (hope!) that some men and dance teams will qualify for the final, but it looks like quite a few ladies on the list won't get an assignment this year - hopefully, there will be additional int'ls in the fall and spring they can go to.

I think it actually makes sense. Submitting a large list of alternates now makes it a lot easier to switch around the skaters (if needed) later since they're all already in the system.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Sorry, this might have been discussed in another thread, but does anyone know of any skaters that could potentially have a conflict with a Junior Grand Prix event and Nebelhorn (in late September)?

Katia and Harley, of course. Hope the other pairs teams appreciate the free kick the ISU gave them.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Katia and Harley, of course. Hope the other pairs teams appreciate the free kick the ISU gave them.
You know, Katia and Harley are not the only skaters who skate junior and senior programs in one season. Russian junior ladies and pairs do it every year, doing their JGP events, then two senior Russian cup events to qualify for senior nationals (just in case they won't be able to qualify for senior nationals through getting into JGPF), then JGPF and a week later senior nationals, then junior nationals and junior worlds. It is doable.

oleada

You know, Katia and Harley are not the only skaters who skate junior and senior programs in one season. Russian junior ladies and pairs do it every year, doing their JGP events, then two senior Russian cup events to qualify for senior nationals (just in case they won't be able to qualify for senior nationals through getting into JGPF), then JGPF and a week later senior nationals, then junior nationals and junior worlds. It is doable.

The Czech pair team did it last year, as did Yu/Jin and Sui/Han in recent years. Didn't seem to hurt any of them much...

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The Czech pair team did it last year, as did Yu/Jin and Sui/Han in recent years. Didn't seem to hurt any of them much...

And were any of them attempting to qualify for the Olympics at that time, via a last-chance one-shot-only competition?

oleada

And were any of them attempting to qualify for the Olympics at that time, via a last-chance one-shot-only competition?

Yes, the ISU is conspiring against them, and they're being held back because they're a little country team, blah blah blah. No pair team in the history of figure skating has ever been treated this unfairly. Is that what you want to hear? :rolleyes:

Aleksandrovskaya/Windsor had a chance to qualify at Worlds. They didn't (it was a long shot, admittedly) If they skate well, and if they're as good as you believe them to be, then they can qualify at Nebelhorn. They are not the only skaters, or teams, to switch between junior and senior programs, and they're not the only one to have qualification to a major competition on the line while doing so, whether that is to Nationals or Worlds or the Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information