Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

DFO

I will beat Can'tSkate to start this thread this year. Moving the pairs discussions from "It's that time again! Annual post-Canadians split thread (pairs and dance)".

Here is the list of Junior pairs I'm expecting (but I maybe wrong in some cases). I already posted that list in the "splits" thread. Some others are also probably coming.
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud EO
Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland QC
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy CO
Chloé Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy EO/QC
Chloé Panetta / Steven Lapointe QC
Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman
Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon NS/QC

As BarbaraFan stated, Novice will be interesting this year with ALL the former prenovices (1 with a partner change) moving up and some new pairs. Here is the liste of skaters I'm expecting.

Emmanuelle Guay / Alexandre Roy QC (6th at Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Véronique Turbide / Willliam St-Louis QC (New pairs but Veronique was 5th at te Challenge Pre-Novice 2017 with another partner)
Marine Pouliot/Alexandre Simard QC (New pairs but Marine was 1st in Juvenile pairs in Québec last year)
Camille Perreault / Bryan Pierro QC (3rd at te Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Laura Bergeron / Louis-Marie Labelle QC (7th Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Charlie Forest / Nathaniel Foster QC (2nd Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste CO (1st Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley WO (4th Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)

I'm still unsure about
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott WO (2nd National Novice 2017)
They may stick in Novice or move to Junior.

Samir Andjorin will be back with a new partner. Also unsure if Novice or Junior.

And I don't know yet if
Camille Audelin‐Dube / Loucas Ethier qc wil be in pre-novice or novice.

Last edited:

barbarafan

I will beat Can'tSkate to start this thread this year. Moving the pairs discussions from "It's that time again! Annual post-Canadians split thread (pairs and dance)".

Here is the list of Junior pairs I'm expecting (but I maybe wrong in some cases). I already posted that list in the "splits" thread. Some others are also probably coming.
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud EO
Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland QC
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy CO
Chloé Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy EO/QC
Chloé Panetta / Steven Lapointe QC
Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman
Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon NS/QC

As BarbaraFan stated, Novice will be interesting this year with ALL the forme prenovices moving up and some new pairs. Here is the liste of skaters I'm expecting.

Emmanuelle Guay / Alexandre Roy QC (6th Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Véronique Turbide / Willliam St-Louis QC (New pairs but Veronique was 5th at te Challenge Pre-Novice 2017 with another partner)
Marine Pouliot/Alexandre Simard QC (New pairs but Marine was 1st in Juvenile pairs in Québec last year)
Camille Perreault / Bryan Pierro QC (3rd at te Challenge Pre-Novice 2017 with another Partner)
Laura Bergeron / Louis-Marie Labelle QC (7th Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Charlie Forest / Nathaniel Foster QC (2nd Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste CO (1st Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)
Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley WO (4th Challenge Pre-Novice 2017)

I'm still unsure about
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott WO (2nd National Novice 2017)
They may stick in Novice or move to Junior.

Samir Andjorin will be back with a new partner. Also unsure if Novice or Junior.

And I don't know yet if
Camille Audelin‐Dube / Loucas Ethier qc wil be in pre-novice or novice.

Do you know what competitions the novice pairs will be competing in?

DFO

Well, the Québec skaters usually goes to Minto (registration opened today), then to the Championnat Québécois d'été. Souvenir Georges-Éthier early in Fall, then the Québec Section A championship. After that this will be Challenge and National time. I guess that was your question unless i didn't understood.

I tend to believe the pairs who are not ready (not present or showing only a short or a free) for Minto or the CQE are already a little late. The 3 Québec pairs who were at Minto last summer finished 1-2-3 (on 5 pairs) at the Québec section.

Last edited:

CassAgain

Senior Pairs who competed last season:

Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford
Julianne Séguin / Charlie Bilodeau
Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan
Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe
Sydney Kolodziej / Maxime Deschamps
Angelina Ekaterinina / Sebastian Arcieri

Any changes at this point?

barbarafan

Well, the Québec skaters usually goes to Minto (registration opened today), then to the Championnat Québécois d'été. Souvenir Georges-Éthier early in Fall, then the Québec Section A championship. After that this will be Challenge and National time. I guess that was your question unless i didn't understood.

I tend to believe the pairs who are not ready (not present or showing only a short or a free) for Minto or the CQE are already a little late. The 3 Québec pairs who were at Minto last summer finished 1-2-3 (on 5 pairs) at the Québec section.

perfect thank-you

Sylvia

TBD
Is there any update on the status of Purich/Portz?
They are registered for Skate Detroit (July 18-22 in Bloomfield Hills, MI).

I've started to compile a preliminary, very partial list for Skate Detroit (entry deadline has just closed but the schedule/groups won't be published online for a while yet).

Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud (J1 & 5th at Jr. Worlds) and Patricia Andrew/Paxton Knott (N2) are both registered for Junior Pairs with coach Alison Purkiss, along with Lia Pereira in both Intermediate Ladies and Novice Pairs with no partner listed for her.

Olivia & Mackenzie Boys-Eddy also are listed for Junior Pairs. That's all I know at the moment re. CAN pairs. Since Skate Detroit scores are not counted in Skate Canada's National Summer Series this year (only 5 CAN comps qualify), Canadian entry numbers appear to be considerably lower for Detroit.

ETA:

2017 Quebec Summer Championships entries (as of June 5): http://www.patinage.qc.ca/UploadsNew/Compétitions 2017-2018/CQE/ParticipantsCQE2017-06-05.pdf

Last edited:

DFO

Less than 24 hours to register to the Championnat Québécois d'été.
Registration list in date of june 21st:
http://www.patinage.qc.ca/UploadsNew/Compétitions 2017-2018/CQE/ParticipantsCQE2017-06-21_PM.pdf

7 pairs in Senior: 5 of the usual Canadian Seniors and 2 from other countries, South Korea and the actual Japanese pair champions.

Duhamel/Radford
Kolodziej/Deschamps
Moore-Towers/Marinaro
Ruest/Wolfe
Seguin/Bilodeau
Suto/Boudreau-Audet (Japan)
Dana/Paradis (South Korea)

And if the "french name" made you suspicious, yes, Boudreau-Audet and Paradis grew in Québec before becoming "asian".

6 in Junior, with a little more of suspense in the results (because of the new pairs and the Canada/USA comparison) :
The silver medalist canadians:
Matte/Ferland J2

Then 2 new pairs
Choinard/Ostiguy
Levesque/Hudon
Both guys had a good experience in pair

The 2017 Novice champions
Panetta/Lapointe N1

And 2 pairs from the USA (the Frantz are registered from Boucherville, maybe they train there now)
Frantz/Frantz N5
Marvaldi/Villeneuve J7

No surprise in Novice, all the skaters moving from lesser categories, but some with a Partner change:
Forest/Foster PN2
Perreaut/Pierro PN3
Guay/Roy PN6
Bergeron/Labelle PN7

Véronique Turbide (PN5) found a new Partner in William St-Louis
while Marine Pouliot (Juvenile 1) is now working with Alexandre Simard. They should improve very quickly. Individually in 2016-17 seasion, Pouliot was 1st in Québec section Juvenile while Alexandre was 1st in Québec section novice. Hope the match will work!

There are also 4 pre-novice pairs and 4 juvenile pairs for a total of 27. Last year at the same event , 24 pairs were registered but only 20 showed up.

Last edited:

DFO

Adding to that list(previous thread) the Detroit Summer skate names Sylvia gave us, we now have for sure, :
6 senior pairs
Duhamel/Radford
Kolodziej/Deschamps
Moore-Towers/Marinaro
Ruest/Wolfe
Seguin/Bilodeau
Purich/Portz
No doubt we will also see a 7th one:
Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch

Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan?

7 Junior pairs
Walsh/Michaud J1
Matte/Ferland J2
Choinard/Ostiguy
Levesque/Hudon
Panetta/Lapointe N1
Andrew/Knott N2
Boys-Eddy/Boys-Eddy

Didn't hear anything yet if the Schumacher/Daleman partnership worked. (update: yes!)

The Novice will mostly be a re-match from last year pre-novice with :
Forest/Foster PN2
Perreaut/Pierro PN3
Guay/Roy PN6
Bergeron/Labelle PN7
Turbide/St-Louis
Pouliot/Simard
Pereira/??
and even if the listing is not available yet, I'm sure to see in Minto
McIntosh/Toste PN1
Ripley/Brawley PN4
For at least 9 Novice pairs

Should be an interesting year.

Last edited:

DFO

Junior pairs updated list:
Walsh/Michaud J1
Matte/Ferland J2
Boys-Eddy/Boys-Eddy J3
Choinard/Ostiguy
Levesque/Hudon
Panetta/Lapointe N1
Andrew/Knott N2
Eby/Den Boer
Daleman/Schumacher
Now 9 pairs in Junior.

It's an early prediction, but I'm pretty sure the 2 first spots will remain the same (Walsh/Michaud, Matte/Ferland). But the interesting part will be WHO will emerge from the 6 others to challenge the Boys-Eddy for the 3rd step of the podium. And since the 2 leaders will be in their last year as juniors, that will give us a hint at who will have a chance to represent Canada at ISU Junior world championships in 2 years!

Last edited:

DE93

Based off of Minto entries as well:

Junior:
1 Walsh/Michaud (probably will skate senior at Nationals?)
2 Eby/den Boer
3 Schumacher/Daleman
4 Levesque/Hudon
5 McCaw/Adcock (not sure if they're skating for Canada or GB - he is British)
6 Boys-Eddy x2
7 Andrew/Knott
8 Panetta/Lapointe
9 Choinard/Ostiguy
10 Matte/Ferland

Senior
1 Duhamel/Radford
2 Seguin/Bilodeau
3 Moore-Towers/Marinaro
4 Ruest/Wolfe
5 Rau/Wilkinson
6 Iliushechkina/Moscovitch
7 Kolodziej/Deschamps
8 Purich/Portz
------- Not sure if these teams are still together but could be registering for Sizzle/Thornhill -------
9 Jones/Reagan
10 Ekaterinina/Arcieri

barbarafan

Kevin Wheeler coaches the 2 new teams of Eby/den Boer and Shalena Rau and Johann Wilkinson, 22, who represented South Africa on the JGP in 2013: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034358.htm
Happy Shalena is competing again and that she has changed coaches..Hope she has a good season. Does anyone know what Jamie Knoblauch is doing? I know she is not skating with Cody Wong anymore. She was my favourite up and coming pairs girl but seemed to keep getting taller.

CdnSk8Fan

Based off of Minto entries as well:
------- Not sure if these teams are still together but could be registering for Sizzle/Thornhill -------
9 Jones/Reagan
10 Ekaterinina/Arcieri

Jones/Reagan still together

....Does anyone know what Jamie Knoblauch is doing? I know she is not skating with Cody Wong anymore...

I had heard from reliable source that Jamie was almost/pretty much done skating :(
-------
I think there's going to be at least 1 or more Jr Pairs teams that will be competing this season but not listed above.

barbarafan

I had heard from reliable source that Jamie was almost/pretty much done skating :(
-------
I think there's going to be at least 1 or more Jr Pairs teams that will be competing this season but not listed above.
ok that is a teaser....can you give any hints...like the province?

That is so sad (for me as I loved her skating so much) I do not know if it was height problem but I did notice how tall she was getting and all legs (which are beautiful)but it was like they were almost tied in knots on jumps. I wish her the best in whatever she does.

DFO

2 hours before deadline, the Championnat québécois d'été update is including some other foreign pairs:
2 seniors;
Castelli/Tran (USA)
Kim / Ryom (North Korea)

and 1 junior: ??? /Ton Consul Vivar from Spain. They are training in St-Leonard. He was recently listed in IPS.

That makes 30 pairs in Senior/Junior/Novice/prenovice/juvenile. This is the biggest turnout of pairs in the event history, at least since 2009. And by far.

Last edited:

DFO

The North Korean AND the South Korean!! That may be some PR before the 2018 Olympics....

barbarafan

2 hours before deadline, the Championnat québécois d'été update is including some other foreign pairs:
2 seniors;
Castelli/Tran (USA)
Kim / Ryom (North Korea)

and 1 junior: ??? /Ton Consul Vivar from Spain. They are training in St-Leonard. He was recently listed in IPS.

That makes 30 pairs in Senior/Junior/Novice/prenovice/juvenile. This is the biggest turnout of pairs in the event history, at least since 2009. And by far.

Yay Yay and Yay.
Who are Kim/Ryom training with?
I think I saw instagram on a fsu thread of Ton Consul and new partner with ??Jon Kerr?

Doggygirl

Banned Member
The North Korean team is coming?! That's so....random. I am really tempted to take a road trip to see them. They rarely compete as it is.
I'm assuming this is the North Korean team we saw at worlds? I loved them! Hope some videos of all the teams surface from this event!

crazy2skate

-------
Christian Reekie....

DFO

One down for the Summer. Nathaniel Foster in Novice pairs broke an elbow yesterday. Don't expect to see Forest/Foster for the summer, even if they are registered to Minto and the Championnat québécois d'été.

Catherine M

Glad to see lots of new Junior pair teams form as it was such a small group at Canadians last season that it was kinda sad.

Looking forward to seeing how all the teams do in the coming weeks at Skate Detroit, Minto and Quebec Summer skate. Hopefully both skate Detroit and Quebec fire up their free feeds once again!

DE93

One down for the Summer. Nathaniel Foster in Novice pairs broke an elbow yesterday. Don't expect to see Forest/Foster for the summer, even if they are registered to Minto and the Championnat québécois d'été.
Oooh, I did that as a kid - not a fun one to recover from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information