Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

Justathoughtabl

I came on here to echo thoughts about Charlie's political tweets. I've been following him for a couple of years, and I was pleasantly surprised to see him become so outspoken. As he said, he never expected to do this but felt compelled. (Paraphrasing there, but that's the gist.) He's articulate, kind and respectful, but at the same time he doesn't shy away from speaking his mind.

ballettmaus

I have to admit, I'm glad that he speaks out. I think this is much too severe to stay silent on the matter, especially for someone whose voice has a far reach. It bothers me that some others (not only skaters) not only stay silent but keep going as if nothing has happened. Often times, their messages then also happen to happen at the most unfortunate times.
Charlie also makes some very level-headed arguments and I totally admire his patience!

flippedstargirl

I wonder if some athletes stay silent because they don't have the time to respond as much as Charlie does and/or have patience for it. I do wish more would speak out. And I admire Charlie's patience, and appreciate it.

mollymgr

I wonder if some athletes stay silent because they don't have the time to respond as much as Charlie does and/or have patience for it. I do wish more would speak out. And I admire Charlie's patience, and appreciate it.
It can be all of the above. It definitely isn't easy to put one's personal opinions, especially political ones out there. Social media is cruel and a lot of people have no filter when it comes to lashing out at a difference of opinion (we are pros here at FSU :lol:). Most athletes would rather not deal with it, especially those who are still new in their career or have a lot more to accomplish. It is important for athletes to not be distracted by these things when they need the focus to accomplish their goals. Some people could get really discouraged, if it turns into personal attacks. That doesn't mean athletes haven't done so in the past. Ashley was quite outspoken about her feelings about Russia's LGBT laws. She is definitely one of those who isn't afraid to speak her mind. But it also means that she has to deal with what comes with it. IMO, social media can turn into a tremendous emotional drain. When you are representing a country, there is the added responsibility to make sure that you don't cross the line or offend anyone (other federations too). You also have to keep in mind that skating is a judged sport.:shuffle: He has lost followers too as a result of being outspoken lately.
I agree with those who said that this is a sign of retirement (as if there weren't enough signs already:EVILLE:... what are we up to like 15 now?:p). It looks like he is using this medium to hone his skills for a future political career.:lol:

Thanks for the CoR hell reminder Meryl...the reason I had to duck and watch twizzles with one eye open for all those live events ever since... ahhhh those amazing days, I miss them so much.:wuzrobbed

Barbara Manatee

I would not object if Charlie takes a moment away from saving the world to serve up some payback for that! You know he's got the goods on Meryl stashed somewhere. Share!

mollymgr

Some gorgeous photos of Meryl and Charlie from Art On Ice -

Skating

More skating

after party

Man, I would love to see them skate in a packed arena with a live orchestra and smoke machine and all! No wonder they adore this show.
The sound quality for Art on Ice is extraordinary. Even on youtube videos you can tell that the sound is just amazing. I saw some backstage footage about all the equipment they bring in to stage this show. It seemed like miles of road cases stored backstage. I can't really think of any other skating show that puts in that much effort into the production.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

That move from Samson and Delilah where Charlie slides on the side of his boot while Meryl holds him up has always been one of my favorites - so glad to see it back!

The footwork in Sax is crazy fun! Just look at Meryl and Charlie getting all funky. Nice job Jeff Buttle. I have got to find a way to see it live.

Last edited:

justtojoke

The Art On Ice numbers!!! Ugh they are such beautiful skaters. How do they provoke such strong emotions from me? Adagio for Strings is gut wrenching by itself. Yet they added so much to it. Just imagine the HQ footage:swoon:

Last edited:

CuriousCCat

I really enjoyed the Sax routine. It was fun seeing them do something more energetic with more footwork. Don't get me wrong, I love their slower emotional pieces, but I do miss seeing the faster, more technical, numbers we used to see when they were competing.

Barbara Manatee

I really enjoyed the Sax routine. It was fun seeing them do something more energetic with more footwork. Don't get me wrong, I love their slower emotional pieces, but I do miss seeing the faster, more technical, numbers we used to see when they were competing.
Plus fewer recycled moves!

More stunning pics not sure which show
Whew. Get a room.

Last edited:

mollymgr

Adagio for Strings is probably one of the most used pieces for mourning and that seemed to be the theme for this program? It has that quality of extreme sadness about it.:wuzrobbed I do like the Sax number for the variety. I wonder what happened to the one Marina choreographed for them by Liszt? I thought that was the one they did for the Lake Placid SOI.

Barbara Manatee

I think so too, mollymgr. Charlie is dead, Meryl brings flowers. She skates with his memory but is left alone in the end.

Last year their AOI programs were only for the show. I don't think we'll see Adagio or Love Me Still at SOI, but that is probably for the best. Adagio wouldn't be the same without the live orchestra.

applelady

Thanks to @mollymgr for posting the link to AOI fan cam videos (Saturday 2/4 evening show) in GSD:

Chaka Khan, "Love Me Still": https://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko99oKwbfpw

Adagio for strings/Samuel Barber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5DAF7bIiFQ

ETA:

Stars on Ice Japan televised performance ("Sax" by Fleur East, choreo. by Jeff Buttle & debuted, I believe, at the Lake Placid SOI show in late 12/30/16): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTYNZ4vO2Y

These are so great; thanks for posting! I've seen "Sax" before, but the first two are new to me, (I think brand-new in general) and they're just gorgeous. Honestly, I almost teared up watching them and listening to the lyrics of "Love Me Still;" they've been through so much together and have been so loyal to each other. And Adagio is just BEYOND!! It's always so wonderful to see new programs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information