Cooking/Recipe Thread.

becca

I am no expert but my well early December New Years Resolution was to become a better cook and eat out way less. Which I am doing!

I was wondering here if any one has good recipe's. I know Cooking light etc. But I was thinking it would be cool to have a thread here since we do have so many people from all parts of the world...Who might have some really good recipes that are unique and good tips.

Today I made this and it turned out pretty good although took awhile to make. I am more adding this because I cannot start a thread without adding some recipe.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/healthy-lasagna-recipes/creamy-spinach-lasagna-recipe

Sometime I will put in here my mom's cheesecake recipe...

TheGirlCanSkate

I made this yesterday with 2 finely diced carrots, I doubled all seasonings and the adobo chili but skipped all salt and black pepper and added 1 TBSP of chili powder. I replaced half the beef with minced portabella mushroom. I used all low no sodium canned goods. I am on a lowfat/low sodium diet so I have to work hard to get a lot of flavor without salt. I do miss salt but it wasn't as noticeable in this recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/three-bean-and-beef-chili-recipe.html

It was very good and even better today.

This is not the best thing I ever made, but it hit the spot on a cold rainy day.

Spun Silver

Sometime I will put in here my mom's cheesecake recipe...
If you have a healthy cheesecake recipe that actually tastes good, please remember to post it! Ditto for creme brulee, if anyone has that in a tasty light version.

When I am in the mood for eating healthy, I usually make vegetable stir fry with soy sauce and sriracha over soba noodles. The vegetables are whatever is on hand, but I try to always include cabbage and carrots because they are cheap, nutritious and tasty. There's not really a recipe but it only takes 1-2 tablespoons of oil; otherwise I just add water, including noodle cooking water, to make a sauce. (What is it about noodle cooking water? Recipes often call for it but I dont know why.) My husband loves this, and he used to say he hated mixed vegetables.

I also learned to make Saag Alu from an Indian woman on a bus. (Spicy spinach and potatoes over rice, Indian style.) To me it's healthy because there's almost no fat, but some might object to the carbs. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.

sk8pics

I made chicken cordon bleu yesterday, baked it at 350F for 30 minutes, so no frying. It was quite good! A lot of recipes can be baked instead of fried. I made chicken parmesan that way, too, with less cheese and sauce, and people rave about it.

lise

I am having a few issues trying to make fisges completely vegan..hubby is a meat eater so we eat different meals at the same time. I did make a sweet potato lentil salad a few days ago without goat cheeseand wow it was fabulous!

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Rachael Ray usually cooks with way too much meat for me, but today she made fettucine with "caulifredo" sauce. 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup shredded parm-reggiano, some olive oil & then pureed in the blender with cooked cauliflower. It sure looked good, so I'll have to try that one.

Spun Silver

Thanks, that looks delicious.

I still just don't know what "fisges" meant unless fish, but if you're a vegan that doesn't make sense. Or maybe you are a fish-eating vegan?

WildRose

I made this yesterday with 2 finely diced carrots, I doubled all seasonings and the adobo chili but skipped all salt and black pepper and added 1 TBSP of chili powder. I replaced half the beef with minced portabella mushroom. I used all low no sodium canned goods. I am on a lowfat/low sodium diet so I have to work hard to get a lot of flavor without salt. I do miss salt but it wasn't as noticeable in this recipe.
Thanks for the recipe - I will give it a try. I'm on a low sodium diet too, so I'm always looking for good recipes without salt. I find I don't even miss salt anymore if the food is seasoned properly but I have pretty much had to learn how to cook all over again.

ItalianFan

A recipe I really like is artichoke quiche. Much tastier with fresh artichokes but if this is too laborious for you you can use frozen artichoke hearts.

The pastry is basic brisée, ie American pie crust pastry, one crust only, made with butter. I presume that everyone has a recipe for this. When lining the pie pan, set aside about 1/5 of the raw dough. Line a 10 in. pie pan with the rest and bake blind, that is, empty, filled with dried beans or rice on a sheet of oven paper to keep the bottom from rising. Cook at 375°F for 15 min. remove the beans and paper and cook for a further 5/6 min.

Filling: 10 fresh artichokes, you will only use the hearts, sliced and discard the rest. 2 medium onions chopped, 1 minced clove of garlic, a few slices of bacon or smoked ham, chopped, 3 oz provola or fontina cheese in cubes, grated parmigiano about a cup, 3 eggs, 1 glass of milk.
Saute the artichokes and garlic in a few spoonfuls of olive oil until soft. Separately saute the onions along with the bacon/ham until soft. Mix the artichokes and onions together and add some minced parsley and a pinch of salt. Cut the Fontina into small cubes and scatter evenly on the baked pie crust, add artichoke mixture, leveling evenly over the bottom. Beat the eggs with a fork and add milk and grated parmigiano. Pour this mixture on top of the artichokes distributing evenly on top. With the reserved dough, make a cordlike strip and cover the edge of the pie to make a raw dough border. Cook 15/20 min. until brown at 375°F . Excellent both hot and cold. Serves 10

ItalianFan

Since someone asked for cheesecake, here is my recipe for this. Here in Italy I use sheep's milk ricotta but I doubt that this is available in the US. The essential thing is to get good ricotta, which tastes like fresh milk, not non-fat chalky type. I like to make the crust with graham crackers.

Crust: 1 1/2 c crushed graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 c melted butter, 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Mix all ingredients together and press firmly against the sides and bottom of a 9 in. spring form pan. The crumbs must adhere to sides and the layer of crust should be the same thickness both on the bottom and the sides. You might need a bit more butter if not moist enough to form the sides.

Filling: 20 oz ricotta, 1/2 c sugar, 2 tbs flour, pinch salt, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 4 eggs, 1 c light cream (or you can use plain yoghourt for less fat), 2 tbs lemon juice, grated rind of one lemon.
Mash cheese, add flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, lemon juice and rind. Beat until fluffy. add egg yolks one at a time, stir in cream. Whip whites stiff and fold into cheese mixture. Pour into crumb lined pan, bake 1 hr at 325°F until risen, set and lightly browned. buon appetito!

Jenny

From the Bloc
Speaking of quiche, we're doing more and more egg bakes lately and it's easier than you might think. Without the pastry crust, there's almost zero carbs, and you can control the amounts of salt and fat easily by using olive oil instead of butter, and using whatever quantity you like of your choice of cheese or meat - or not at all. Best of all, you can cram them with veggies (less egg required if that's a concern), and clean out the fridge in the process.

We use 2-3 eggs for two people, pour them over your fillings (some like onions, peppers or tougher greens benefit from pre-softening in a fry pan) in 1 or individual low ceramic casseroles or ramekins, then bake about 18-20 mins at 325-350 until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. May seem like a long time, but even on a weekday morning you can use that time to continue getting ready for work or school, or setting the table and getting a head start on tidying the kitchen.

Another bonus is that it stays nice and hot since you can serve it right in the individual dishes, so great for taking outside in good weather or serving for brunch.

TheGirlCanSkate

Thanks for the recipe - I will give it a try. I'm on a low sodium diet too, so I'm always looking for good recipes without salt. I find I don't even miss salt anymore if the food is seasoned properly but I have pretty much had to learn how to cook all over again.

If you have any tips, I'd appreciate them! So far I make a pot of beans on the weekend and then I can add them to recipes as needed. The seasonings tend to pile up because of the lack of salt - I find vinegars or lemon juice help, but it's not always enough. I work full time so making stocks and storing them is more work than I'm willing to do at the point so I use low sodium vegetable stocks from trader Joe's.

I get the NYTs recipe emails twice a week. I often give one a try once a week.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Note that even low sodium stocks are much higher in sodium than what you'd make at home. Read the labels! You're better off buying zero sodium broths and adding a bit of salt when you cook.

Which is a key point for those concerned about salt - what most people would add at home either during cooking or at the table is a fraction of what's in prepared foods, takeout or even sit down restaurants. Even so-called sweet products are loaded with salt.

If you avoid anything prepared/processed or takeout, then use about half of what's recommended in recipes, then you'll be doing a lot to slash your sodium consumption, and even have some leeway to sprinkle a little on at the table.

Spun Silver

Since someone asked for cheesecake, here is my recipe for this. Here in Italy I use sheep's milk ricotta but I doubt that this is available in the US. The essential thing is to get good ricotta, which tastes like fresh milk, not non-fat chalky type. I like to make the crust with graham crackers.

Crust: 1 1/2 c crushed graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 c melted butter, 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Mix all ingredients together and press firmly against the sides and bottom of a 9 in. spring form pan. The crumbs must adhere to sides and the layer of crust should be the same thickness both on the bottom and the sides. You might need a bit more butter if not moist enough to form the sides.

Filling: 20 oz ricotta, 1/2 c sugar, 2 tbs flour, pinch salt, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 4 eggs, 1 c light cream (or you can use plain yoghourt for less fat), 2 tbs lemon juice, grated rind of one lemon.
Mash cheese, add flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, lemon juice and rind. Beat until fluffy. add egg yolks one at a time, stir in cream. Whip whites stiff and fold into cheese mixture. Pour into crumb lined pan, bake 1 hr at 325°F until risen, set and lightly browned. buon appetito!
Haha. I am definitely going to make this, it looks divine. Thank you! But I was asking about a *light* cheesecake recipe (that still tastes like cheesecake).

BTW about graham cracker crusts: I improvised one that turned out great, for use with fruit tarts (it would work with this cheesecake too). I added an overripe banana and used less butter. So yummy!

clairecloutier

Haha. I am definitely going to make this, it looks divine. Thank you! But I was asking about a *light* cheesecake recipe (that still tastes like cheesecake).

BTW about graham cracker crusts: I improvised one that turned out great, for use with fruit tarts (it would work with this cheesecake too). I added an overripe banana and used less butter. So yummy!

LOL, is a "light" cheesecake really possible?? ;) Actually, Meagan Duhamel has been mentioning tofu ricotta a lot on her healthy living web site. And there is also such a thing as cashew cheese, or cashew ricotta. Both vegan products. I've never had either and can hardly imagine what they taste like, but perhaps worth checking out. I don't know if they'd be lower in calories, but they would be lower in saturated fat for sure.

Spun Silver

LOL, is a "light" cheesecake really possible?? ;) Actually, Meagan Duhamel has been mentioning tofu ricotta a lot on her healthy living web site. And there is also such a thing as cashew cheese, or cashew ricotta. Both vegan products. I've never had either and can hardly imagine what they taste like, but perhaps worth checking out. I don't know if they'd be lower in calories, but they would be lower in saturated fat for sure.
I would rather try part skim ricotta, yogurt instead of cream, and banana instead of butter than tofu rictotta, ugh. Cashew ricotta, maybe, but I can only take so many cashews, so I'm a little dubious about that too.

The alternative is my MIL's approach. When she eats sweets, she eats them all the way. She hates light substitutes. She eats well, but in moderation, and is very active, fit and healthy. Being a Christian Scientist may help but I'm not going that far!

ItalianFan

I would rather try part skim ricotta, yogurt instead of cream, and banana instead of butter than tofu rictotta, ugh. Cashew ricotta, maybe, but I can only take so many cashews, so I'm a little dubious about that too.

The alternative is my MIL's approach. When she eats sweets, she eats them all the way. She hates light substitutes. She eats well, but in moderation, and is very active, fit and healthy. Being a Christian Scientist may help but I'm not going that far!

I agree with your MIL. I too eat few sweets but when I do, I like them authentic and not "light" which many times translates to unpalatable if not downright not worth eating. Actually ricotta is much lighter fat wise than, for example, cream cheese which is used for some cheese cakes. A slice of this cheesecake is not a disaster for anyone. My bible is the Mediterranean diet: ie mucho veggies, fruit, fish and pasta. little meat, few sweets and, except for veggies, everything in small amounts. it works like a charm for my family.

TheGirlCanSkate

[QUOTE="Jenny, post: 4989850Note that even low sodium stocks are much higher in sodium than what you'd make at home. Read the labels! You're better off buying zero sodium broths and adding a bit of salt when you cook.

Which is a key point for those concerned about salt - what most people would add at home either during cooking or at the table is a fraction of what's in prepared foods, takeout or even sit down restaurants. Even so-called sweet products are loaded with salt.

If you avoid anything prepared/processed or takeout, then use about half of what's recommended in recipes, then you'll be doing a lot to slash your sodium consumption, and even have some leeway to sprinkle a little on at the table.[/QUOTE]

I have not seen no sodium broths, I have seen no salt added but that still has sodium (the same amount as the veg broth I've been buying). Low Sodium chicken broth has half the sodium as the veg so I could switch. I was choosing veg because I'm tired of eating animals. I don't eat out at all and don't buy premade meals/meal starters. I've really limited carbs.

It's basically been vegetables, lean protein, low fat dairy, and 2 pieces of fruit a day. I've dropped from a systolic number of 137 to 117 and I'd like the readings to consistently be 120 or lower. :)

Spun Silver

I made this last night, probably not to diet friendly, but it was the best cream tomato soup I've ever had anywhere.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sherried_tomato_soup/
My husband would make that and I'm sure I'd love it, but I'm just not capable of dumping 1.5 cups of heavy cream into anything. I might try it with 2% milk and a few tablespoons of half and half. The other thing is, canned tomatoes have ungodly amounts of sodium. Maybe organic tomatoes are different.

Sometimes I just dont want to know how much fat I'm eating! That's what restaurants are for! Fortunately, or not, our restaurant budget is almost nil these days.

mackiecat

You will notice from my recipes, we don't worry about fat...
For the slow cooker makes 4
Put in two large boneless chicken breast
sprinkle with dry ranch dressing
Half a cup of chicken broth
1/3 brick of cream cheese
Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6
Shred and mix, serve on croissants or rolls

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information