Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
:rolleyes: Really? So if I think she's unattractive I'm racist?

Sorry, but your incessant criticism of one of the great gymnasts really got to me. I don't think you are a racist but you are focusing too much on the body which the gymnast was born with. It's a little like Misty Copeland being told that she didn't have a ballerina's figure. She is African American and is not blessed with long limbs, narrow shape, etc.

floskate

Vacant
She's not just physically unattractive, her style of gymnastics is ugly

So you've been telling us ad nauseum over the last few days :blah:

Simone is a beautiful young woman with an immense talent who has lit up this Olympic Games with her personality and phenomenal gymnastics. It might not be to your personal taste but there is NOTHING ugly about Simone Biles. Your words on the other hand........... :(

Xela M

If we all had to just be nicey nice about everything and everyone, this forum would die a death. People can say they don't like someone. It's not the end of the world.

ballettmaus

It's probably hot, so it's more comfortable to wear it up. Aly has long hair, which can be heavy and hot on the neck. :)

Not to mention that it might get in the way during their routines. They could grab it, step on it, it could blur their vision etc.

As far as Biles is concerned - I generally found her beam routine a bit boring compared to Hernandez' and Mustafina's. Biles seemed to go through the motions whereas Hernandez and Mustafina really grabbed me for some reason. But Biles seemed to have fun on the floor! I am a little bit puzzled why Biles got less of a deduction than Raisman because something seemed off after Biles' last tumbling pass. But maybe it was just the camera angle and nothing was off but it looked like she was fighting for balance. However, that has nothing to do with her overall gymnastics. I feel sorry for her when I see her feet but that's simply because she looks like she has pretty broad feet which I have myself and that can be such a pain when buying shoes :D
But how anyone could call her gymnastics unesthetic beats me. That sounds a tad bit offensive, in my opinion.

VGThuy

Simone tends to get less deductions on her FX than other gymnasts because she can usually hit her leaps and her form is excellent on her tumbling compared to other gymnasts. Aly has some form issues on some of her passes like her Dos Santos and her leaps have been questionable.

just tuned in

Not to mention that it might get in the way during their routines. They could grab it, step on it, it could blur their vision etc.

They were wearing competition hair (including Simone's red-white-and-blue hair ribbon) at the McDonalds.

But I guess if they wore their hair down while eating, it could blur their vision, thus impeding their consumption of French Fries.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I get not liking her style of gymnastics, but physically unattractive? Really?
Well she's really good looking when wearing clothes (although some of the dresses I've seen on her are really not great), she's hot in her nude pictures, but wearing a leotard does no justice to her at all. Maybe she should try unitards?

altai_rose

I find it interesting that last week many posters were saying that they couldn't enjoy the Chinese female gymnasts because they're so small, thin, tiny, frail, narrow-hipped etc., and that was considered valid criticism for most posters (except 1 or 2). Now, when the criticism is against Simone Biles, everyone's up in arms...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
They were wearing competition hair (including Simone's red-white-and-blue hair ribbon) at the McDonalds.

But I guess if they wore their hair down while eating, it could blur their vision, thus impeding their consumption of French Fries.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Simone tends to get less deductions on her FX than other gymnasts because she can usually hit her leaps and her form is excellent on her tumbling compared to other gymnasts. Aly has some form issues on some of her passes like her Dos Santos and her leaps have been questionable.

Do gymnasts get higher marks for leaping higher during the tumbling passes? Simone did seem to have even more height than Aly's.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Do gymnasts get higher marks for leaping higher during the tumbling passes? Simone did seem to have even more height than Aly's.

Yes, they do. Amplitude is part of form. Not to mention Aly loses points for having leg separations and bent knees in some of her passes.

VGThuy

I find it interesting that last week many posters were saying that they couldn't enjoy the Chinese female gymnasts because they're so small, thin, tiny, frail, narrow-hipped etc., and that was considered valid criticism for most posters (except 1 or 2). Now, when the criticism is against Simone Biles, everyone's up in arms...

Body shaming does work both ways. When I made my criticism of the Chinese team, it was more to do with the Chinese gymnastics coaches truly emphasizing their model of tiny bodies over anything else, where they push aside other gymnasts with other body types in order to get their ideal, and that way of thinking isn't truly keeping up with the times. It's a very selective procedure where the Chinese gymnastics fed is only going for a certain type of athlete that I think is limiting and actually bad for gymnastics in China as a whole.

Carolla5501

This is a very important question for all you gymnastics experts...

Do the girls on these gym teams really get on as well as they are meant to show on camera? Or do some of them secretly (or not?) hate each other's guts?

Who are the biggest :drama:? I know Douglas gets the most stick on the US team, but I'm not sure if it's to do with her personality or her recent form. Are all the girls really ok with the tiny, unaesthetic Biles being the pre-determined winner of everything?

Are all these girls PC-ed to perfection or are there some more rebellious personalities? (This goes for all teams - not just US)

What's the :skandal?

Luckily they all seem much nicer than you and probably are not near as hateful and catty. I assume from your posts that you treat your "friends" the way you post on here and I can see some problems might occur.

ballettmaus

I don't have a problem with the Chinese gymnasts bodies per se. I have a problem with the fact that they don't look "proportionally correct". They look like what we call "children's scheme" in German which means that their head is proportionally larger than their body. That is a characteristic of a child and that is the problem that I have because no 16 to 20-year-old should have physical characteristics of a child 12 or younger. That makes me suspicious as it could mean that either their age is incorrect or they got something to stop their growth. It is one thing to look young - Kocian doesn't look 19 either - it is another when your body proportions looks far too young, especially when that is the case for all but one gymnast. That is the issue that I, personally, have with the Chinese gymnasts. Not their bodies per se, just what their bodies seem to suggest.

Xela M

Thank you!

By the way, I also dislike the tiny frail kids-like gymnasts in the Chinese team who mostly look really unhappy, just like I don't like the little pre-pubescent girls in senior ladies skating!

Xela M

I don't have a problem with the Chinese gymnasts bodies per se. I have a problem with the fact that they don't look "proportionally correct". They look like what we call "children's scheme" in German which means that their head is proportionally larger than their body. That is a characteristic of a child and that is the problem that I have because no 16 to 20-year-old should have physical characteristics of a child 12 or younger. That makes me suspicious as it could mean that either their age is incorrect or they got something to stop their growth. It is one thing to look young - Kocian doesn't look 19 either - it is another when your body proportions looks far too young, especially when that is the case for all but one gymnast. That is the issue that I, personally, have with the Chinese gymnasts. Not their bodies per se, just what their bodies seem to suggest.

I must say something seemed "off" with the Chinese gymnasts. Something isn't right in that team

Xela M

Luckily they all seem much nicer than you and probably are not near as hateful and catty. I assume from your posts that you treat your "friends" the way you post on here and I can see some problems might occur.

So you have no gossip :( :p

A bunch of teenage girls and no drama? Seems doubtful. Is gymnastics' reputation for having the cattiest girls all gone?

D

Deleted member 221

Too bad about that London tiebreaker, Aly's six Olympic medals are just one behind Shannon Miller's.

Can Biles come back in 2020 and get two (to tie) or three (to break) Miller's record?

Biles already has the most Olympic gold medals of any U.S. gymnast; her FX gold medal broke a three-way tie between her, Raisman, and Douglas.

AYS

🌻
The body type of the Chinese gymnasts seems quite similar to their past, superior teams (I'm not avid, but can remember back for a couple of Olympiads) but what this team lacked in Rio is any semblance of power. I'm not talking Simone-level power, which is obviously an exception, but just power that allows them to do their movements with conviction. They just lacked conviction in their movements, to me.

Susan1

Funny, I was just coming on here to ask - how high up in the air was Simone Biles during that second tumbling pass!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? I mean literally - is there a measurement? Wow.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I wouldn't be surprised if the US team girls are as close as they appeared on TV. I've never seen a US team that put on a better front - I just don't think they could have faked it so impeccably. People criticized Gabby Douglas but I just thought she was probably embarrassed by her poor showing.

I really don't understand why anyone's looks are part of this conversation. That's not what the judges measure anyhow. And I think it's sexist to bring it up. I never see posts about how ugly some male athlete is. FWIW I think Simone isn't conventionally pretty but she has one of the most adorable smiles I've ever seen.

Gil-Galad

My head associates "tiny, frail, thin" with bad health - and with this year's team there also seemed to be a huge lack of power. None of the power moves looked anywhere close to powerful or effortless. That made watching the Chinese team on floor and vault rather painful. As others said before, there might be a problem with the selection of the gymnasts.

That said, I think anyone should be able to say, that they don't think someone looks particularly aesthetic. I don't think Simone is beautiful either, but she is quite pretty and has an infectious smile. And I just adore her form and controlled power, which is of course not ballet - but if you want to see ballet, you should go see ballet.

Allskate

There have always been complaints about there not being enough artistry in gymnastics. The Romanians weren't just criticized for being code whores. They were also criticized for not being expressive or artistic. Kim Zmeskal and Dominique Dawes were criticized for being too athletic and not artistic enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US team girls are as close as they appeared on TV. I've never seen a US team that put on a better front - I just don't think they could have faked it so impeccably.

One of the results of training at the ranch is that the gymnasts get to know each much better than before, like with the 1996 team. Plus, if you don't really think you have a chance of beating someone or having someone beat you, as is the case with Biles, then it probably does ease tension.

The interview last night that Bob Costas did with Aly and Simone is about as authentic as I've seen:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/aly-raisman-simone-biles-future-olympic-plans-zac-efron

I also would think that the younger more inexperienced gymnasts genuinely do appreciate and guidance and info that "grandma" provides. And these gymnasts don't just say positive things about each other. The gymnasts will complain about how messy Aly is and Aly will complain that they won't let her sleep even when it's fairly late. It's not exactly huge stuff, but it's not just making each other out to be perfect with no conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information