Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovesalchows

No, its like she turns it on for the camera with the over the top affection or something. Plus the way she's posing right in front of the Zac Efron pictures. She seems to take more of a front seat than most coaches.

ioana

What's wrong with having a high difficulty score?

Believe many of the complaints were about achieving high difficulty scores by doing easier moves in combination, like inverted giants and stalder circles rather than riskier releases. Before the switch to separate scores, the Romanian women's team got away with 10.0 SV on bars by doing 'pirouettes' and transition moves that were sometimes very far from a handstand. Part of the reason why it's been an uphill battle to get back to being average (never mind contenders) on the event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjEM4F-5xQI

Jem X

Pokemon forever
Just finished watching the high bar replay on the NBC sports app. After Leyva finished his high bar routine he got hugs from all the other competitors, except for Mikulak who walked by him without saying anything. (Unless I missed something off camera).

bardtoob

Just finished watching the high bar replay on the NBC sports app. After Leyva finished his high bar routine he got hugs from all the other competitors, except for Mikulak who walked by him without saying anything. (Unless I missed something off camera).

It is hard to have a situation where if your teammate does well you lose, but if your teammate does poorly you win ... Especially if you are the top qualifier and the teammate is the alternate.

MAXSwagg

Damn. Japan really bombed event finals (well, the qualifications, really). Tanaka could've medalled on parallel bars, Uchimura could've medalled or even won on horizontal bar, again Kohei could've medalled on floor, Kenzo should've won on floor...five additional medals just thrown away. :wall:

meggonzo

Banned Member
Looks like high bar won't be shown unless there's time after beach volleyball, or until late night. I watched it already, but I want to see it on a bigger screen!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The girls are totally punchy in their interview and it's really cute. :) But I want to tell them both they're too good for Zac Efron!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
This interview is the best thing ever. I love Aly and Simone being so goofy! Those two are so exhausted and over excited that they can barely put sentences together anymore without laughing, LOL :lol:

This US women's team was incredible in Rio. I'm SO impressed with their poise, passion, and excitement about everything and yet at the same time, they're totally young ladies who can be goofy, hilarious, and supportive of each other. So much fun to watch as a fan! :respec:

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Thank goodness for Dannell Leyva, without him, the men's team would have had only one medal, most likely. After seeing Abliazin medal with his :yikes: form on rings and vault yesterday I can't help wonder if Whittenburg could have managed a rings and/or vault medal had he made the team :shuffle: . The scores were high across the board so it's hard to say, but regardless, huge props to Leyva, he turned out to be pretty clutch considering he started out as an alternate! Hopefully he doesn't feel bad about team final high bar now (it didn't cost the USA a medal and likely they would have still finished 5th anyways).

Bummed for Sam Mikulak. But at least he didn't come off on high bar at any point in the competition! Success! Hopefully he continues until Tokyo, he really does have a lot of talent.

My discoveries of these Olympics were GB, who are suddenly badass across the board when it comes to gymnastics, and the Netherlands! Also Oleg. He's so adorable (maybe time to shave the head though). :cheer:

meggonzo

Banned Member
I totally agree. To me, high bar is by far the most exciting men's event. I get that they wanted to show all the track live, but they wasted SO much time between heats/events. So glad there's streaming!

And if they could only show one men's event in primetime, they should have chosen high bar. Leyva won silver in both, so it's not like they had to choose the event an American medalled in. Plus Mikaluk also competed in high bar and did well.

Allskate

high bar is my favorite apparatus and an american won something. i'm so confused. and i still dont understand why it takes what seems like 45 rounds of volleyball for kerri to get a medal.

It really makes you wonder what NBC would have done if Kerri and Michael Phelps hadn't returned for this Olympics. I am so over beach volleyball. I wanted to see the gymnastics on my tv, not on my tiny computer screen. It would have taken five minutes to show the high bar. That's one semi-final heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information