Truly Awful Gifts (Christmas and otherwise)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For years when I was about 30 lbs lighter, my aunt would buy me size large. At the time, I was what is today an extra small. Her daughter was a large, so everyone my age must be a large.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Two of my nieces, ages 9 and 8 at the time, gave me Sea-Monkeys for a Christmas present. They had begged their daddy (my brother) to get them for me. It included an aquarium (Sea-Monkey Ocean Zoo) and other accessories.

They wanted me to have them because I didn't have any pets during that time. I had a half border-collie/half collie named Baby that had recently passed away, and the girls didn't want me to be "lonely". Bless their hearts. They really thought the Sea-Monkeys would look like little monkeys.

The next time my nieces came over, they started screaming and said "Aunt Angie! Those aren't monkeys! They look like aliens from outerspace! eeeek!" The sea-monkeys lived for about 4 or 5 months.

I'll never forget that because they were so anxious to see the sea-monkeys. God bless them! <3

moebius

This is not a awful gift, but a funny moment. Back in the 80's I got a Rubik's cube from one of parent's friends. When he saw me playing with a Rubik's cube that I already have, the look on his face was priceless. He just kept staring at the Rubik's cube I was playing with while talking to my parents.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
What is a 'half slip' ? I usually give out preschool teachers gift cards either visa or Amazon. Though I pay an arm and leg for the daycare/preschool there is no way dealing with toddlers is ever paid enough.

Sea monkeys are cute!

The only bad gift I received was my father I law giving me and my SIL (his daughter) a Xmas tree costume jewelry broche, it is quite hideous. And I usually don't wear costume jewelry, I wear small, neutral pieces. I have never seen my SIL wear it besides the Xmas lunch that year either :p. Usually my FIL has quite good taste. Or maybe my MIL runs interference.

My cousin though.. At his first marriage, the dinner was at a 'traditionally' decor'ed place. There was an oil painting of a fishing boat is stormy water in a classic gold frame. My cousin thought it was part of the decor, it would have fit right in. It was a wedding gift. I'm pretty sure they didn't fight over it when they got divorced....

fsfann

I got a dill pickle tree ornament from my sister-in-law. That was a dandy.

She (former, since she is now divorced) also liked to recycle old things she had lying around the house. One year we got a fondu thingy (in a box that looked like it had been through a war.)

TheGirlCanSkate

A half slip is a slip from waist down. It preserves modesty. A full slip is chest down.

At one time women wore them under ev ery dress or skirt. Then you dont see under garment lines. They are harder to find now. When I was a kid there would be at least one full rack in every department store!

TheGirlCanSkate

My son got a watermelon for christmas from his girlfriend. She carved lovenotes in the skin and he wouldn't eat it. He kind of forgot about it and it collapsed on itself. What a mess! I think they saw a very sad film about a brother and sister and a watermelon.

SamChez

Birthday, late 70s. A friend who knew my varied musical tastes presented me with a gift-wrapped album (LP, vinyl, you remember). Ella Fitzgerald? Metal band? Show tunes? Dinah Washington? Disco? No. "Songs of the Humpback Whale ". I still have it and still hate it.

Spun Silver

The pickle ornament is a thing. You hide it on your tree. It is where, "hiding the old pickle" came from. Ha!
I just saw one in a commercial on the Food Network! i had no idea! The things you learn on FSU. :)

I love this thread too. Puts everything in perspective.

Rob

Beach Bum
I got a dill pickle tree ornament from my sister-in-law. That was a dandy.

She (former, since she is now divorced) also liked to recycle old things she had lying around the house. One year we got a fondu thingy (in a box that looked like it had been through a war.)
I gave a dill pickle ornament to my friends boyfriend-not for " hide the pickle, but because he loves dill pickles. He makes them from cucumbers he grows, tells us about his new dill pickle recipes, brings them to parties, even brings fried pickles. So he loved it.

I am snorting over the watermelon gifts. Hilarious.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
For my sister's baby shower, her husband's aunt announced that she had to leave early and asked my sister to open her gift first. The aunt said, "Everyone buys things for the baby, this is for the mom." It was an economy size box of feminine napkins.

My brother-in-law chuckled when he heard about it later, shook his head and said, "yeah, that's Aunt Lorraine..."

Moto Guzzi

About 5 years ago, a friend gave me a hideous t-shirt with globs of paint all over it and huge, fake jewels and padded shoulders a football player could have worn. I think she bought it in the 1980's and had had it hidden in the back of her closet for about 20 years. Last year she gave me a shirt with a giraffe down the front and an ugly orange thing that could be worn as a belt or a scarf.

Another friend gives me a cat book every year. Last year she outdid herself and gave me two Grumpy cat books.

My sister had a boyfriend who gave her underwear and a broom for Christmas. Needless to say, he didn't last long.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
For my sister's baby shower, her husband's aunt announced that she had to leave early and asked my sister to open her gift first. The aunt said, "Everyone buys things for the baby, this is for the mom." It was an economy size box of feminine napkins.

My brother-in-law chuckled when he heard about it later, shook his head and said, "yeah, that's Aunt Lorraine..."
That reminds me of a friend/skating coach who worked at factory that made sanitary products, toilet paper, etc.

One year she gave me 4 pack of Christmas printed paper. It was so funny because she knew I would see the humour in it. And of course toilet paper is practical.

Another time she gave me the sanitary products from the hamper they gave her at work which she no longer needed. I really appreciated them because they can be expensive. However apparently they had given the same to everyone at work, even the guys on the factory floor. Now that is tacky.

twinsissv

Birthday, late 70s. A friend who knew my varied musical tastes presented me with a gift-wrapped album (LP, vinyl, you remember). Ella Fitzgerald? Metal band? Show tunes? Dinah Washington? Disco? No. "Songs of the Humpback Whale ". I still have it and still hate it.

:lol:

twinsissv

That reminds me of a friend/skating coach who worked at factory that made sanitary products, toilet paper, etc.

One year she gave me 4 pack of Christmas printed paper. It was so funny because she knew I would see the humour in it. And of course toilet paper is practical.

Another time she gave me the sanitary products from the hamper they gave her at work which she no longer needed. I really appreciated them because they can be expensive. However apparently they had given the same to everyone at work, even the guys on the factory floor. Now that is tacky.

OMG!!! :rofl:

twinsissv

What is the worst gift you have received? Or what have you heard from social media or people you know on the subject? At another site this came up and I have to laugh (or cry) at some of the responses. Some samples:

A library book for my 13th birthday from my cheap skate grandmother who then got mad at me when I returned it late and she had to pay over $4 in late charges...

From the in-laws:
One year I got a phone book for our hometown (my BIL got the same gift) which is of course free to them. Several years in a row I have gotten fire extinguishers which they themselves get free from their insurance company.

For Christmas one year, we each drew a name and bought one gift for our Christmas with extended family. Gifts were supposed to be in the $30-40 range. My cousin ended up getting me a set of novelty Thanksgiving meal flavored sodas. So there was a turkey and gravy soda, a green bean casserole soda, etc. He left the price tag on it, which obviously had a clearance tag (since Thanksgiving was over, I suppose demand for Thanksgiving-flavored sodas was waning) and it was marked down to $2.99.

So what has been your worst gift or what have your heard/read about on this subject?

:lol: What? No pumpkin pie soda? Stuffing soda? :rofl:

twinsissv

A half slip?? :rofl: @judiz

I used to get some fun teacher gifts. For a few years, they seem to follow a random theme. One year it was cat coasters, a cat magnet, and a cat ornament. Mind you, I didn't own a cat or ever talk about cats. The next year it was an angel Christmas complete with decorative pins, ornaments, mugs and a calendar.

I mentioned my cat to one of my kindergarten classes and every year after that it was kitty, kitty, kitty for me. I had stuffed kitties, glass kitties, knitted kitties, paperweight kitties, ceramic kitties, you name it...I had it! I could really have one heck of a yard sale, but one of my students (adults now) just might show up and embarrass me! :cat:Well...at least their memory skills were good.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
When you're about ten years old and shy, and your seventeen-months-younger sister is exactly your height, has exactly your hair and eye colour, and even looks a lot like you, and you've been bullied for months at school about how you MUST be lying that you're not twins, the absolute last thing you want to open on Christmas morning?

MATCHING. CLOTHES. :eek:

I adore my father's parents, but that was possibly the worst thing they could have given us for Christmas. Fortunately, someone must have had a quiet word with them, and the next year, we got books. Different books. (Actually, I think that year I was given Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, my introduction to that series.)

paskatefan

Not something I received, but one of my teacher colleagues received a mug that showed pigs in compromising sexual positions. The child who gave it too her was an elementary school beginning English Language Learner (aka ESL student), who certainly meant well, but had NO idea of what the pigs were doing!

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned

I agree that those products can be very expensive. It was a nice idea for my sister, but I think it would have been better to have just called up and said, "Hey, I got something for you, found a good price at Sam's, may I drop it off?" Instead of wrapping it as a gift for a shower to be opened in front of a roomful of people. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information