Radiation Therapy

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am going to require radiation theraphy for squamous cell carcinoma in situ (skin cancer (Bowen's Disease) in a very senstive area of the body). It is more to treat pre-cancerous cells, but as the medicos think it is on the verge of tipping over into full blown, they have decided radiation therapy is the best way to treat it.

I am just wondering what people's experiences have been if they have had this kind of treatment. Side effects? Problems? Any ways of dealing with it to limit negative impacts?

I am not too worried about it but I suppose it is best to be prepared. Have done a fair bit of doctor googling but that doesn't really cover personal experiences.

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
I just finished head and neck radiation 3 weeks ago. There are a lot of common side effects, but there are also specific side effects depending on where exactly your treatment will be (and I'm not asking! :) ). Happy to share my experience if that would be helpful. Pls PM me if I can help.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There are a lot of variables depending on the dose and the field size and type of tissue being treated (more or less radiosensitive). Be sure to discuss this with the radiologist and dosimitrist. Modern treatment techniques really try to limit the exposure to the precise area treated and minimize the impact on healthy tissue.

Spun Silver

Sorry you have to go through this, Aussie Willy. I hope it all goes well. My husband is about to start a 9-week course of radiation for prostate cancer and we have similar concerns, but it is supposed to be very precisely aimed so we are optimistic.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Thanks for the wishes and also comments everyone. Much appreciated.

Also appreciate that FSUer's are very helpful when it comes to these kinds of things. :)

I have my appointment with the radiation people next Tuesday so will find out more then.

peach_pear

This is a very timely topic for me as I was just about to ask for similar advice. I started radiation today (neck and chest) and I'm also wondering from those who have been through it, how severe the side effects were and how long they lasted after the treatment.

Alixana, is it alright if I PM you as well?

Thanks in advance.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I had radiation for 5 1/2 weeks & I worked full days until the last 2. The fatigue didn't hit me until I finished. I am olive skinned so I was really surprised that I burned so bad. That's why I missed the last 2 days - I couldn't stand wearing a bra. My BFF had recently finished the exact same therapy - she is a natural strawberry blond with fair skin & she didn't burn at all. So our experiences seem to be all over the place.

peach_pear

How is everyone doing with their radiation?

Unfortunately, I'm not doing so well and need some more advice. I've had to go to a pretty much liquid diet since swallowing anything solid is very painful. I have 4 treatments left out of 20. I've been given some strong liquid pain relievers. I generally try to avoid taking pain medication, but the pain is too severe to live with at the moment without meds.

I'm not sure if it's from the radiation itself, or from the medication, but I have this horrible metallic taste in my mouth. Also, my throat is really dry and sore (I've pretty much lost my voice, so even talking is an issue). I need something non medicated to take away this really horrible taste. Does anyone have any suggestions for something relatively sugar free and would melt in the mouth slowly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information