All Thing PBS

A.H.Black

My local PBS station is showing "Jewel in the Crown", starting this Sunday. Must be moving around. Anyone else?

Artemis@BC

My local PBS station is showing "Jewel in the Crown", starting this Sunday. Must be moving around. Anyone else?

Nope, not here (KCTS-Seattle). No reason to assume that all affiliates would carry it though, since it's so old.

I think Seattle re-aired it about 8 or so years ago.

Still one of the best mini-series ever made though -- and better than the books IMO.

Artemis@BC

Looking forward to Grantchester starting tonight -- I loves me a good British detective series!

Set in the 1950s, it stars James Norton as a young village vicar-turned-amateur-detective, and Robson Green as the copper he helps out. It's adapted from books by James Runcie -- I wasn't familiar with him at all but now have him on my to-read list.
Tonight at 10, right after Downton.

dardar1126

Tonight my local PBS affiliate (Austin, TX) is going to begin showing an Australian series called "The Doctor Blake Mysteries"...sounds quite interesting. :fan:

I'm also looking forward to "Grantchester." :)

Tesla

Whippet Good
I love mystery shows. I'm discovering so many different ones on Hulu and Netflix.

I know this is probably off-topic but I watched Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton on Netflix and it was amazing. I loved it. I want to buy it. :)

Artemis@BC

Grantchester was fun in a light, not-too-brain-taxing kind of way. I think it would work better as an appetizer before Downton rather than dessert afterward, but that's okay. ;)

Has anyone red the books? Is the copper's name really Geordie, or is that just a nickname because he's a Geordie?

dardar1126

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/masterpiece-adds-more-new-titles-2015/

News: MASTERPIECE Adds More New Titles in 2015

EDIT:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/pbs-orders-civil-war-drama-764682

PBS Orders Civil War Drama, Pushes Further Into Scripted Originals

10:22 AM PST 1/19/2015 by Michael O'Connell

EDIT2: Via Twitter...

Last edited:

dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT: Haven't found an exact date for POLDARK...just sometime in 2015.

From Facebook:

MASTERPIECE | PBS (Masterpiece Theatre)
2 mins ·
MASTERPIECE is at the PBS portion of Television Critics Association Press Tour, where we presented upcoming programs "Wolf Hall" starringMark Rylance and Damian Lewis (premieres April 5), and "Poldark" starringAidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson (premieres in June). Also, two new series coming in 2015 - "Arthur & George" starring Martin Clunes (Doc Martin), and "Home Fires" with Samantha Bond (Downton Abbey) andFrancesca Annis (Reckless)!

EDIT:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/previews/poldark-preview/

Poldark: Preview (30 second video)

Last edited:

Cachoo

I am enjoying the "Shakespeare Uncovered" series. I can see from the previews for next week that it looks like we will see Meryl Streep when she was in "The Taming of the Shrew" at Yale. I may be wrong about that. I've always wanted to see her work at Yale because I remember critics talking about her even then and NO ONE knew who she was. As for the series I've enjoyed both the "Lear" and "Midsummer..." hours. I knew a lot more about the latter so I found everything about "King Lear" very instructive and interesting.

Grannyfan

I love mystery shows. I'm discovering so many different ones on Hulu and Netflix.

I know this is probably off-topic but I watched Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton on Netflix and it was amazing. I loved it. I want to buy it. :)
I remember watching it years ago on my PBS station on successive Sunday afternoons before VHS even. It's still my favorite Jane Eyre.

Regarding the British mysteries, I highly recommend George Gently. Martin Shaw's (sigh) the detective, and it's set in the 60's. Broadchurch is another good series. And for something very dark, The Fall.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I remember watching it years ago on my PBS station on successive Sunday afternoons before VHS even. It's still my favorite Jane Eyre.

Regarding the British mysteries, I highly recommend George Gently. Martin Shaw's (sigh) the detective, and it's set in the 60's. Broadchurch is another good series. And for something very dark, The Fall.
George Gently is great! I also have The Fall in my list. I'm still on the fence with Broadchurch. A particular favorite of mine is Midsomer Murders. We also have Hulu Plus and have found so many series on there. Truth be told, I'm overwhelmed by the choices and I'm not sure what to watch. :p

Artemis@BC

For a minute I thought it was Martin Shaw in Sunday's episode of Grantchester, but it was actually Nick Brimble. (they're very similar I think)

ITA about The Fall and George Gently. I loved season 1 of Broadchurch, I'm less sure about season 2 but we'll see.

Grannyfan

George Gently is great! I also have The Fall in my list. I'm still on the fence with Broadchurch. A particular favorite of mine is Midsomer Murders. We also have Hulu Plus and have found so many series on there. Truth be told, I'm overwhelmed by the choices and I'm not sure what to watch. :p

I've watched all the Midsomer Murders except for the last couple of the newest releases. There are so many episodes I forget them and can re-watch just like it's the first time. :) The first sidekick is still my favorite.

Others I've liked are Above Suspicion and Scott & Bailey. Also Vera and Wallander. For light-hearted stuff I enjoy Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (Australian) and a Canadian series, Murdoch Mysteries.

Nan

Just me, retired
Others I've liked are Above Suspicion and Scott & Bailey. Also Vera and Wallander. For light-hearted stuff I enjoy Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (Australian) and a Canadian series, Murdoch Mysteries.

A group of us at work have gotten together at lunch in the conference room and watch a lot of different series. We are watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries now and really enjoying it.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I have Scott & Bailey on my list. I'm not sure about Above Suspicion; I'll have to look for it. Vera is great. Wallander with Kenneth Branagh is good; I'm not sure about the Swedish version. I love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. :swoon: Murdoch Mysteries is very good too. Yesterday, I ended up watching another Swedish series, The Sandhamn Murders. I watched the first series, which was three episodes, and thought it was very good. The setting was lovely. It's on Hulu.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Has anyone been watching Grantchester? I had been excited for this series, because I was reading the first set of short stories. Unfortunately, I'm a little underwhelmed because there have been a ridiculous amount of changes to the main characters, mystery plots, and overall tone to the way it's being told.
It's a decent series on its own, but the source material, particularly of the last two episodes shown isn't at all similar.

jeffisjeff

I've been watching. It is OK, but I am mostly distracted thinking about the distressing fact that the :swoon: worthy Robson Green has, like me, gotten rather old. :wuzrobbed

tamuno

I haven't read it but I was expecting to like it. But it bores me. Anytime I record it hoping to watch it, I just end up deleting it without even watching it in full.

Artemis@BC

I've been watching. It is OK, but I am mostly distracted thinking about the distressing fact that the :swoon: worthy Robson Green has, like me, gotten rather old. :wuzrobbed

Yeah, that was my reaction too. James Norton is fairly easy on the eyes, but it's not the same.

I'm finding the series pleasantly diverting. And I'm in love with Dickens. :D

Grannyfan

I have Scott & Bailey on my list. I'm not sure about Above Suspicion; I'll have to look for it. Vera is great. Wallander with Kenneth Branagh is good; I'm not sure about the Swedish version. I love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. :swoon: Murdoch Mysteries is very good too. Yesterday, I ended up watching another Swedish series, The Sandhamn Murders. I watched the first series, which was three episodes, and thought it was very good. The setting was lovely. It's on Hulu.

I didn't know about The Sandhamn Murders. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information