All Thing PBS

skatesindreams

I saw that one (Company) as a "live"-broadcast-in-movie-theatres when it was done, and loved it from beginning to end. It's one of my favourite Sondheims, and the cast was perfect. It was particularly fun to see actors who you don't normally associate with being singers (Colbert, Plimpton, and Hendricks in particular).

I have it on DVD too. I didn't even know PBS had picked it up.

Upcoming, in Central FL:
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365115460/

Check your local listings.

AragornElessar

Did anyone else see NOVA last night? Cold Case : JFK? Not only was it excellent, but it did something I thought impossible. They proved the Magic Bullet Theory, is no theory, and showed exactly how it could and did happen. Mom came out of our bathroom to the sight of me w/my mouth hanging open in sheer shock. When she asked what was wrong, all I could say was that I'd just had my World rocked!!

If you are interested in this period of History, then you've got to see this thing.

dardar1126

Did anyone else see NOVA last night? Cold Case : JFK? Not only was it excellent, but it did something I thought impossible. They proved the Magic Bullet Theory, is no theory, and showed exactly how it could and did happen. Mom came out of our bathroom to the sight of me w/my mouth hanging open in sheer shock. When she asked what was wrong, all I could say was that I'd just had my World rocked!!

If you are interested in this period of History, then you've got to see this thing.

I saw it...fascinating forensics!

After this special, I watched another...Secrets of the Dead...that examined how the news media in general, and Walter Cronkite in particular handled the news of Kennedy's death; also fascinating.

AragornElessar

I saw it...fascinating forensics!

After this special, I watched another...Secrets of the Dead...that examined how the news media in general, and Walter Cronkite in particular handled the news of Kennedy's death; also fascinating.

We watched that too and was as equally excellent. Then again, Secrets of the Dead usually is, so...:)

A.H.Black

I've always liked Oklahoma and plan to watch. I confess, though, that I don't enjoy the ballet part. Not because I don't enjoy dance or ballet - I love ballet. This particular ballet seems too long and is a big interruption to the story. I wonder what they will do in this production.

Artemis@BC

I've always liked Oklahoma and plan to watch. I confess, though, that I don't enjoy the ballet part. Not because I don't enjoy dance or ballet - I love ballet. This particular ballet seems too long and is a big interruption to the story. I wonder what they will do in this production.

I've never been much of a fan of ballet in any musical theatre. It just doesn't work for me, and it always seems in interruption. The possible exception being Kiss Me Kate (movie version) -- and only then because of Fosse.

skatesindreams

When "Oklahoma" was created and came to Broadway - in 1943 - the ballet, created by Agnes de Mille; was considered a revolutionary way to advance the story through dance.
It had never been done before.

A.H.Black

When "Oklahoma" was created and came to Broadway - in 1943 - the ballet, created by Agnes de Mille; was considered a revolutionary way to advance the story through dance.
It had never been done before.

Yeah, I know it was/is considered a big deal and Agnes de Mille has always been praised and even revered for her work. I just don't happen to enjoy it.

I did enjoy the production. Thought the aunt was excellent. I still prefer the musical styles of Gordan McRae and Shirley Jones. (Beaut - i - ful as compared to Beaut - a - ful.)

dardar1126

Twitter:

Ken Burns ‏@KenBurns 12h
Filmmaker Burns celebrates Gettysburg Address http://usat.ly/1bVFKUC via @usatoday #theaddressPBS @pbs

EDIT: via Facebook...

PBS

This Day in History: on this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The 272-word speech reflected Lincoln’s redefined conviction that the Civil War was a struggle for liberty and equality for all, as one of the most memorable discourses in American history.

Commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address with Ken Burns (PBS)’ “The Address” site to discover a national campaign that encourages every American to learn, recite, and record the address: http://to.pbs.org/1efNjaV

Pic: https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q71/1450181_10151787960112169_662550326_n.jpg

EDIT2:

The Address PBS ‏@TheAddressPBS 51m
There are 5 versions of the Gettysburg Address. @kenburns asked President Obama to read the 1st, the Nicolay Version. http://www.learntheaddress.org

I did not know that there are five slightly different versions!

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I've gone ahead and watched a few episodes from Season 2 of The Paradise. I think I'll like season 2 a little more. Season 1 is way too simplistic.
Re: Katherine vs. Denise. Katherine definitely is a more logical choice for a guy with ambitions, and she, for all her flaws, seems eager to help her husband along. But Denise can help you build something from ground up.

I think Moray's choice, however it makes the viewers happy, tells me that he's not ready to take over the world yet. :)

Artemis@BC

Did anyone watch the Mark Twain Prize ceremony for Carol Burnett? I recorded it but haven't had a chance to see it yet.

AragornElessar

Did anyone watch the Mark Twain Prize ceremony for Carol Burnett? I recorded it but haven't had a chance to see it yet.

I nearly hit the floor laughing during some of it. Especially the clip from one of Carol and Julie Andrews' specials from back in the day. They were having a perfectly lovely tea party, and Carol mentioned the Boston Tea Party and...

:D

nikjil

Anyone know if Oklahoma is available on-line or if there's a DVD? I was away on vacation, set the TV up to record it and when I got back last week found my housesitter had messed up the TV and several shows didn't record.

dardar1126

Anyone know if Oklahoma is available on-line or if there's a DVD? I was away on vacation, set the TV up to record it and when I got back last week found my housesitter had messed up the TV and several shows didn't record.

Here you go:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365121337/

GREAT PERFORMANCES
Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma!"
Aired: 11/15/2013
02:50:53
Expires: 11/15/2016
Rating: NR

In his breakout musical role as cowpoke Curly in Rodgers & Hammerstein’s "Oklahoma!," Hugh Jackman plays alongside Josefina Gabrielle as the headstrong Laurey, Maureen Lipman as Aunt Eller, Vicki Simon as Ado Annie, Jimmy Johnston as Will Parker, and Peter Polycarpou as Ali. The Royal National Theatre production from 1998 was directed by Sir Trevor Nunn and choreographed by Susan Stroman.

Also available for purchase on DVD and Blu-ray.

Cyn

My entire family was absolutely overjoyed that Carol was finally(!!) being honored with the Mark Twain Prize as it was many years overdue...That the likes of Tina Fey, Will :blah: Ferrell, and Ellen DeGeneres each received it before Burnett just boggles the mind.

I had been planning to watch it and kept a vigilant eye on the Comcast channel guide for our area's two PBS stations' programming line-ups, and it never showed up on the damn thing. I'm now kicking myself for not checking the actual PBS websites because I missed it, and there is no telling when it will air again. One would think that the two Atlanta PBS affiliates would have their acts together, but their program scheduling is wonky, shoddy, and extremely behind the times when compared with the likes of WGBH in Boston and other major cities in the US.

The only good thing one of them has done lately (for me, anyway) is to re-air Downton Abbey from the very beginning -- I missed the boat on its initial US run and didn't want to start watching in the middle of it. The past two months have been wonderful as I've been able to watch it starting with Series 1, Episode 1, all the way through the end of Series 2. I had been looking forward to watching the Series Two Christmas Special this past week, but the Idiots In Charge bumped it off their scheduling :mad:.

What they did, was pre-empt their entire regular programming of TV series (their own as well as those from the UK), documentary series like Nova, American Masters, Masterpiece Classic, etc., and a variety of music performances and concerts, which started on Thanksgiving Day and will continue through this coming weekend. Their reason for doing this (just as they do 3 additional times each year) is so that they can have yet another of their fecking pledge drives. I know they're a necessary eville, but while they used to be annoying but tolerable, they now suck with a capital "S" because for the past three years, they've shown the same exact tired programs over and over and over.... It is always, without fail:

- 4 or 5 Special Programs (of the "How To" or "You Can Do It!!" motivational variety) on the following topics: Health (about Dietary Breakthroughs; "3 steps to incredible health"; The Omni Health Revolution; Heal Yourself: Mind over Medicine); Age (Live to be 100 the Easy Way!); Memory (either about Improving Your Memory; Alzheimers and Steps to Lessen Your Chances of It Happening To You!; Super Brain), and business/retirement seminar type crap (Planning for your future; Retire Early; Creating a Stock Portfolio) -- each one of these is anywhere between two and three hours;

- 3 or 4 "live in concert" performances: at least two of these will always be either Andrea Boccelli, The Celtic Women, Jackie Evancho, or The Irish Tenors;

- 2 of their Generation or Genre Type concerts (which are always from the following choices: Big Band, Doo-Wop, The 60's (Music for a New Generation), The 60s (Mowtown Memories), or The 70s aka Disco Ain't Dead);

- 2 American Masters Documentary Specials, one of which will always be Johnny Carson: The King of Late Night, or Margaret Mitchell: American Rebel. The Non-Carson/Mitchell American Masters Special is always one from of a rotation of 4-5 famous Americans -- none of which will have been produced later than 2008.

- The Fabulous Fox (produced by GPB back in 2004 and hosted by Hal Holbrook). I've seen this so many times I can quote most of it in my sleep. If I didn't adore The Fox and consider it one of Atlanta's Crown Jewels, I'd have put a brick through my TV years ago.

During every damn Pledge Drive, it's guaranteed that the above will air at least twice (and often 3 or 4 times) over the course of 9 days, and they cut away from each program every 20 minutes for 10-15 minutes to do their fundraising thing which are recordings themselves, some of which are years old, yet they try to make it seem like they're coming to you at that very minute. This, of course, almost doubles the length of each program/special/concert/documentary as it turns into a viewer's nightmare. I always wind up avoiding PBS during their Pledge Drives -- for the sake of both my sanity and my blood pressure :lol: :eek:.

Last edited:

dardar1126

Twitter:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 57m
Check out http://pbs.org/sherlock for #SherlockPBS photos, videos, countdown and more!

:hat1:

EDIT:

BuzzFeed UK ‏@BuzzFeedUK 3h
The 30 pictures from "Sherlock" you've waited nearly two years to see http://bzfd.it/18nm2yB

Radio Times ‏@RadioTimes 3h
#Sherlock series three pictures leaked online... John Watson responds http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013...e-pictures-leaked-online-john-watson-responds …

Last edited:

dardar1126

Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 37m
corrected: NEW #SherlockPBS trailer! http://to.pbs.org/18uJwC1 -- U.S. premiere Sun. 1/19/14 10/9c following #DowntonPBS on @masterpiecepbs

BuzzFeedEntmnt ‏@BuzzFeedEnt 33m
The first full-length #Sherlock Season 3 trailer just dropped & it's everything you dreamed it'd be! http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/first-real-trailer-for-sherlock-season-three … via @ellievhall

AWESOME...I can hardly wait! :respec:

P.S. Be sure to click on the BBCOne Site link for the interactive trailer...fantastic! :hat1:

Last edited:

dardar1126

Twitter:

PBS ‏@PBS 18m
Learn the true story of the WWI Christmas Eve truce in the operatic retelling SILENT NIGHT 12/13 @ 9/8c http://ow.ly/rKmXB #PBSHoliday

This opera recounts the true story of the World War I Christmas Eve truce. For one magical evening on December 24, 1914, French, German and Scottish soldiers laid down their arms and joined in a spontaneous celebration reflecting the peace, fellowship and humanity of the season.

Artemis@BC

This opera recounts the true story of the World War I Christmas Eve truce. For one magical evening on December 24, 1914, French, German and Scottish soldiers laid down their arms and joined in a spontaneous celebration reflecting the peace, fellowship and humanity of the season.

There was a pretty good movie from a few years ago about the Christmas truce, called Joyeux Noël. I remember it being very good overall -- although some of the smaller characters were OTT. Esp. one "bad guy" -- who in this case was not defined by being German/French/British, but rather by being the blindly opposed to the very idea of the truce. But other than those small details, a very nice addition to the choices for seasonal films.

Corianna

Didn't they end up having a Soccer game during the Truce or am I thinking of something else?

There have been a number of treatments of this story... there was the singing of Silent Night in German and English in most and a game in one. Most of the treatments centre around the momentary peace and camaraderie as an inspiring anomaly, rather that war as being the anomaly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information