NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
As of now, I'm only planning to go on May 17th (Onegin, with Gomes and Vishneva) and the Swan Lake matinee on June 12th. (I hate ABT's SL but I must see my handsome guy Alex debut in this)

I'm envying you, oh so much.
Those two alone are worth the ticket price.

emason

M_S, I am truly envious. I only got a paltry 4 brochures; of course, the opera ones are coming in now. I'll probably have 6 or 8 of those by the time they are done.

I made my own subscription. I'm seeing Onegin on 5/16 with Kent/Bolle. I saw Vishneva/Gomes last year and they were fab, but I wanted a comparison cast this time around. I also have the Mixed Rep on 5/21, the new Ratmansky on 5/31 and the Corsaire matinee on 6/5. The Corsaire is the one that has the guest performance by McRae of the Royal Ballet.

As for the voidy Bourne Giselle, my arm could definitely be twisted.

Marge_Simpson

I'm seeing NYCB on May 31st. Maybe we could do dinner beforehand? :)
I may go for the Wednesday matinee of Don Q on May 29th (Part and Stearns) as I happen to be off that week.
I'm not planning to see the new Corsaire unless a certain person gets replaced. :lol:
I used to save the ABT brochures so I could cut out the pictures of Jose (I have a collage of him inside the door of my locker at work, laugh all you want) but these are just going in the trash.

Marge_Simpson

Got my tickets this afternoon - Onegin on May 17, Don Q matinee on May 29, and Swan Lake matinee on June 19.

Is anyone planning to see ABT II? I'm going on Friday April 5th. It's at the Schimmel auditorium at Pace University this year; instead of the Joyce. Info on ABT's website.
I'm skipping the YAGP this year as I couldn't get the evening off, but it looks like a great lineup. (Clifton Brown! :swoon:) Info here:
http://www.yagp.org/wordpress/?page_id=2168

BTW, I found this wonderful Firebird with Ekaterina "Big Red" Kondaurova:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGU78zxXTU

Last edited:

Marge_Simpson

Excellent! Can I buy you a drink at the Campbell Apartment beforehand? (it is still on my bucket list) Or do dinner?

Rob

Beach Bum
I am not sure what time I am getting in yet, but I will let you know. I'd be coming in to Penn Station and staying with a friend on 100th and Riverside so I am not sure we could get back down to Grand Central after she gets out of work, then back to Lincoln Center in time. Maybe a drink closer to the Met? As soon as I know which train I am on, I will PM you.

Marge_Simpson

I saw YAGP's "Ballet's Greatest Hits" last night and it was wonderful. My favorite bits were the white swan pdd with Marcelo Gomes and Veronica Part (I was swooning in my seat) and the pre-performance interview with Taras Domitro (cheeky little devil!)
On my way out, I saw Marcelo, Hee Seo, Isabella Boylston, Joe Phillips, and Skylar Brandt (they are all in the film) chatting together in the lobby.
If you have a chance to see this, do, it is definitely worth it.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The initial run of the YAGP film is over, but, hopefully, they'll figure out a way to revive it and screen it more widely.

Marge_Simpson

Did I mention that Jose is in it too? There are several interviews with him and he is as handsome as ever. :swoon:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
More Diana Vishneva!

Here's a snippet of her performance of Maurice Bejart's Bolero (the video is in Russian--talks about how only select few were/are allowed to dance Bolero, mostly with Bejart's blessing). Forty bare-chested men and one female dancer on a red table. A mention of one other Russian ballerina who was allowed to dance Bolero, Maya Plisetskaya with a short snippet of her performance in 1975. She could only dance it abroad as Bolero was considered inimical to the Soviet morality.

I can't believe this, I am such a Vishneva fangirl but I give the edge to Maya. I can't even explain why.

http://www.vesti.ru/videos?vid=505392&cid=8

Rob

Beach Bum
I can't wait to see Vishneva live in Onegin. I can't believe how many times she came to DC with Mariinsky and I never switched my tickets from Thursdays to Tuesday. She always danced Tuesday.

IceAlisa

SOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!! In a good way. Kindly report back. :)

IceAlisa

Maya's maybe has more abandon?

She has more power AND abandon. Diana seemed a little like fish out of water and Maya was in total command. But yeah, you got me thinking and putting it into words. :)

Rob

Beach Bum
Would like to see more of Maya's.

Next season, Mariinsky (Swan Lake) and Bolshoi (Giselle) will be at Kennedy Center, along with the usuals ABT, NYCB, Suzanne Farrell ballet. Then Boston Ballet and Pennsylvania split a week (Thursday night is Boston Ballet so that is what I see in my series). And Joffrey Nutcracker.

IceAlisa

I recall seeing all of Maya's Bolero somewhere on youtube. I could look for it a bit later.

Gaaah, I need to do an East Coast Mariinsky tour. I did see their Swan Lake and would love to see their Giselle. Enjoy, Rob! :)

Rob

Beach Bum
I found The full version. And Jorge Donn's and Guillem' s and some others.

Rob

Beach Bum
Aw, the first Nutcracker I appeared in was Freddie Franklin's, when I was at the National Ballet School in DC. He was so nice to us kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information