2025 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Boston

peibeck

Simply looking
Ice make snark parties!

Got my call today, and according to Ben, my seat is on the aisle too, so I'll be close enough to be able to snark even while waiting for scores. :lol:

He also said they will be emailing ticket holders options on hotels with negotiated rates "after the holidays," but it sounded more like perhaps mid-late winter when that news gets out to ticket holders, as he said they were still negotiating for more options.

CassAgain

Bored at work today and checking out places to stay—Vrbo has a houseboat listed about a mile from the venue. Probably won’t take that option in March but would be interesting.

RD

Hmm. Likely won't be deciding on this until MUCH closer to event time, if I bother at all.

In 2016, after the initial booking I individually "upgraded" to closer Loge seating in the weeks leading up to the event (and even at the event itself). Worked well, but was $$$. Thing I liked about that though was getting to sit in different parts of the arena for different events...I think I sat on the Judge's Side for the Ladies events and Ice Dance final, Corner/Opposite side for the pairs final, Club/Opposite side for men's short and center opposite side for the Gala. Club seats were comfortable, but IMO considering the price, the view that you get would be better suited to a basketball/hockey game than a skating event.

I found that the disadvantage of sitting on the Judge's Side is a partially blocked view near center - especially if you're sitting in the first 12 or so rows. This can be (mostly) overcome by sitting near or at the corner, which I found to be the best spot (YMMV). The opposite side, OTOH is unobstructed, if I recall, with the disadvantage of having the skaters' back to you at start and finish.

acraven

The Boston Worlds booth was busy with ticket purchasers every time I walked by. I thanked the reps for taking such good care of the early All-Event ticket purchasers and for charging a service fee of only $10 per ticket.

I asked about taking bags into the arena and was told the policy is already online. Indeed, the TD Garden has the policy on its website. Bags up to 14" x 14" x 6" are allowed, and they don't have to be clear. Even I cannot complain about that. I suspect they may be a bit flexible about the precise dimensions as long as bags adhere to the spirit of the requirements, because they were handing out thin nylon bags with the event logo that measured around 14.5" x 14.6". (The bags have no thickness until you put something in them.)

Backpacks are expressly prohibited. If you're able to manage with a bag smaller than 6" x 4" x 1.5", it will get express manual screening rather than having to be put through a scanner.

https://www.tdgarden.com/venue-info/policies

That webpage also has a list of prohibited items, most of which are similar to what we've encountered elsewhere. It doesn't address the permissibility of empty water bottles, and the maximum size limit for signs is extremely small; I guess we'll need to address those issues with the LOC before the event.

Last edited:

YukiNieve

My friend purchased the tickets in Columbus and her credit card was charged right away but has not got the confirmation email yet. I asked them twice via emails.

I guess they are severely understaffed. But if they cannot handle the volume of the work efficiently, why don't they use the electronic ticketing system?
This is 21 centuries, you know...😞

Last edited:

ice coverage

My friend purchased the tickets in Columbus and her credit card was charged right away but has not got the confirmation email yet. I asked them twice via emails. ...

Have you or your friend tried scheduling a phone appointment with the ticketing team?
The Google page is showing that many appointments are available for tomorrow, Feb 15.

Also available on future days.
Looks as if phone appointments are being offered on Tue, Wed, Thu for weeks to come.

kdcsmiley

FYI, as Boston is my hometown and I've been to the TD Garden for some events lately:

Transit. As many of you remember, TD Garden sits directly above the North Station commuter rail platforms (for the northern suburbs) and is directly linked to the Green and Orange Lines (subway) via a corridor.
  • If you're coming from these subway lines, this corridor not only deposits you at the commuter rail platform, but also a dedicated security entrance to the "club" seats.
  • This entrance might not be open, however, if attendance is sparse, especially during mid-week. You would otherwise need to walk a few extra steps back outside, to Causeway Street, where you take a set of escalators up to the main security entrance on the 2nd level. There may be other more direct ways to access the main security entrance that I don't even know about.
Amenities. Lots of construction has happened since the last Worlds. There are multiple new high-rises and corporate HQs directly above or near TD Garden, which means a lot more services.
  • Within the TD Garden structure, there is a "Hub Hall" food court that is overpriced but not bad - certainly better than any arena concessions. It even has a branch of Mike's Pastry. It is at street level just a few steps down from the aforementioned escalator, and also connects to the far end of the commuter rail platforms.
  • There is a Star Market (supermarket) at street level, at the base of the aforementioned escalator. It is part of the same corporate umbrella as Safeway, Albertsons, Vons, Pavilions, and Jewel-Osco, so if you already punch in your phone number at checkout at these stores in order to obtain sale pricing, you should be able to do so at Star and Shaw's markets in New England.
  • There are plenty of sit-down restaurants and sports bars in the area - much more than last time. Big, small, you name it, and you shouldn't need reservations since Worlds won't be as busy an event as, say, a sold-out Celtics or Bruins game. Also plenty more fast-casual eateries. Just search / look up / pan around Google Maps to see for yourself. Focus on the triangle formed by Causeway, Merrimac, and Washington - any point within it is at most a 5 minute walk from the aforementioned security escalators.
I'd love any suggestions you have for hotels. I looked not too long ago, and many of the nearby hotels didn't have the dates available yet. I looked today and now many say sold out. I'm ok with taking the metro but have no idea what's convenient as I've never been to Boston. Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

kdcsmiley

Since I'm local I might hold off on tickets (and wait so I can volunteer!). Happy to help anyone who needs help with the area/how to take the T/ways to try to save some money in Boston!
I would love any advice you have on hotels. Of course, I'd love to stay close but I'm concerned with hotels selling out so then I would need a next best option which I imagine would be staying near a metro? I'll be coming from California and not at all familiar with Boston. Thanks in advance. ANY insight you have is more than what I have now :).

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I would love any advice you have on hotels. Of course, I'd love to stay close but I'm concerned with hotels selling out so then I would need a next best option which I imagine would be staying near a metro? I'll be coming from California and not at all familiar with Boston. Thanks in advance. ANY insight you have is more than what I have now :).
Most hotels don’t book this far out. 13 months is the most in the future most hotels would let you.

alizadavida

Not sure what your budget is/if you have a car or will be using the T. There are a bunch of hotels walking distance to TD garden and range from $100-$200 for right now (I didn't check to see prices for the competition). I would feel safe walking around at night. Coming from CA you can take the silver line from the airport to the blue line, and take that to state/govt center, and then connect on the orange if state/green if govt center and that will bring you right to TD garden. I would try to find something on the orange/green line to stay at since North Station is right under TD garden. I personally haven't stayed at hotels in Boston since I live close enough to take the train in but we have most chains here and happy to look at the hotel to see how it is. Most of Boston near TD garden is safe at night and there's usually people out.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
If city prices are too much, I recommend looking at hotels north of the city on the Orange line, or west of the city on the Green line. I’d avoid those south of the city unless you are already very familiar with the various neighborhoods and transit options.

AnnM

Hi, I'm also from CA! Worlds 2016 was my first time in Boston. My hotel was across from Boston Common, near a T station for the green line, and it was very easy to take public transit to TD Garden. I also walked it once; it was 20-30 minutes during the day and I felt safe. I went back to Boston for vacation in 2022. That time we stayed in Back Bay near an orange line T station and it was still very easy to get where we wanted to go, even with two kids in tow.

I took a taxi to/from the airport because I generally try to avoid dealing with luggage on public transit.

livetoskate

At 2016 Worlds, I stayed at the Royal Sonesta hotel, which was about a 15 minute walk from TD Arena. It was a nice, clean & safe place-- which was good, because one night I walked first with friends to their hotel & then almost got lost finding my way back at night. It was only a drag walking on ice & snow the last day I was there. I might stay there again, or try some place a little closer.

peibeck

Simply looking

I stayed at the Lenox for 2016 Worlds, which is on the Boston website's list of hotels with negotiated rates. It was very nice and is a smaller, older, upscale boutique hotel. The rooms weren't huge, but beautifully appointed and comfortable and quiet (despite being along the seemingly always bustling Boylston Street). The staff were nice and helpful with advice or directions whenever I had questions about Boston.

Bonus for me (as a chocoholic) it is connected to a Lindt chocolate shop featuring lots of specialty flavors I've never seen anywhere else from that brand. :lol:

Bonus: It was very close walk to the T as well.

kdcsmiley

Not sure what your budget is/if you have a car or will be using the T. There are a bunch of hotels walking distance to TD garden and range from $100-$200 for right now (I didn't check to see prices for the competition). I would feel safe walking around at night. Coming from CA you can take the silver line from the airport to the blue line, and take that to state/govt center, and then connect on the orange if state/green if govt center and that will bring you right to TD garden. I would try to find something on the orange/green line to stay at since North Station is right under TD garden. I personally haven't stayed at hotels in Boston since I live close enough to take the train in but we have most chains here and happy to look at the hotel to see how it is. Most of Boston near TD garden is safe at night and there's usually people out.
Thank you!!

kdcsmiley

I stayed at the Lenox for 2016 Worlds, which is on the Boston website's list of hotels with negotiated rates. It was very nice and is a smaller, older, upscale boutique hotel. The rooms weren't huge, but beautifully appointed and comfortable and quiet (despite being along the seemingly always bustling Boylston Street). The staff were nice and helpful with advice or directions whenever I had questions about Boston.

Bonus for me (as a chocoholic) it is connected to a Lindt chocolate shop featuring lots of specialty flavors I've never seen anywhere else from that brand. :lol:

Bonus: It was very close walk to the T as well.
Thank you! I will check it out.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I’ve been watching hotel brands, Hyatt is available to book for March 2025 now. The Hyatt at Fanueil Hall is $800 a night. :yikes: Hyatt Regency, a more reasonable $197, near the Orange Line-Downtown Crossing.

Spikefan

And now that $197 is showing over $400 per night - hope this isn't a sign of prices to come.
Once I saw this I got on the Hyatt app and booked a $212 cancelable rate. I am a World of Hyatt member if that makes a difference in prices (no status, I just sign up for them all and stay where it works best). For 7 nights the total with taxes and daily destination fee is $1728 (so technically $246 a night).

I can always cancel if I find something better/more convenient. We were in that area during the day last year and it appeared safe, buzzing with people as there was a street party outside a mall. Just unsure what it will be like at night, which is important.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Once I saw this I got on the Hyatt app and booked a $212 cancelable rate. I am a World of Hyatt member if that makes a difference in prices (no status, I just sign up for them all and stay where it works best). For 7 nights the total with taxes and daily destination fee is $1728 (so technically $246 a night).

I can always cancel if I find something better/more convenient. We were in that area during the day last year and it appeared safe, buzzing with people as there was a street party outside a mall. Just unsure what it will be like at night, which is important.
That Hyatt is nearish to the theater district and Chinatown, but still technically downtown. Unfortunately, foot traffic is much lighter now than pre-crud, so it can get a bit ghost town unless there’s an event nearby. That said, if you walk with purpose, preferably with one or two others, you should be fine. I’m sure there will be plenty of people at that hotel due to the price.

alizadavida

That Hyatt is nearish to the theater district and Chinatown, but still technically downtown. Unfortunately, foot traffic is much lighter now than pre-crud, so it can get a bit ghost town unless there’s an event nearby. That said, if you walk with purpose, preferably with one or two others, you should be fine. I’m sure there will be plenty of people at that hotel due to the price.
I would not want to walk alone through the commons area late at night by myself but there's probably people out and about until when the t stops running.

peibeck

Simply looking
🔔🔔🔔 Just looked back at when the ISU had the preliminary rounds (2010 and 2011) since they are returning in Boston, and noted those were held on Monday and Tuesday. Something to keep in mind if you're planning on attending all the competition and when booking your hotel and making travel plans.

Obviously no schedule this early, and 2010 was the last year for the compulsory dance, and in 2011 all four disciplines had a preliminary round. If I read correctly it will only be the men and women in Boston, but I'd expect the comp to start Tuesday at the latest.

Also ETA: Hotels don't generally book greater than a year out. If you're entering in dates greater than a year away, you may be seeing max rates on a hotel's website, due to a default in their system (this from a friend of mine who works for a big hotel chain). He also said rates you'd see on an aggregator site, like Kayak, may not be good/honored if more than a year out either.

Last edited:

Spikefan

🔔🔔🔔 Just looked back at when the ISU had the preliminary rounds (2010 and 2011) since they are returning in Boston, and noted those were held on Monday and Tuesday. Something to keep in mind if you're planning on attending all the competition and when booking your hotel and making travel plans.

Obviously no schedule this early, and 2010 was the last year for the compulsory dance, and in 2011 all four disciplines had a preliminary round. If I read correctly it will only be the men and women in Boston, but I'd expect the comp to start Tuesday at the latest.

Also ETA: Hotels don't generally book greater than a year out. If you're entering in dates greater than a year away, you may be seeing max rates on a hotel's website, due to a default in their system (this from a friend of mine who works for a big hotel chain). He also said rates you'd see on an aggregator site, like Kayak, may not be good/honored if more than a year out either.
The most recent email indicated qualifying starts Sunday. Of course this could change. I’m just planning Sunday-Sunday (skipping gala).

The official schedule will likely be released this summer but for those planning your visit to Boston, the Qualifying Rounds, which you have access to as an All-Event Ticket holder, begin on Sunday, March 23, 2025. Official practices will begin on Monday, March 24, 2025,

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

The tentative schedule on the official website says the qualifying rounds will be on Monday and Tuesday.

peibeck

Simply looking
The most recent email indicated qualifying starts Sunday. Of course this could change. I’m just planning Sunday-Sunday (skipping gala).

I didn't even notice that in the 2/11 email. :duh: I'm guessing what @TanithandBenFan posted is more accurate with practices actually starting Sunday, and the prelims on Monday. In L.A. (2010) they did have a Sunday event though besides the gala (free dance).

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I didn't even notice that in the 2/11 email. :duh: I'm guessing what @TanithandBenFan posted is more accurate with practices actually starting Sunday, and the prelims on Monday. In L.A. (2010) they did have a Sunday event though besides the gala (free dance).
The gala was the only event on Sunday in L.A. (2009 ;)). I was lobbychicking late into Saturday night and was dragging for my early Sunday flight. :lol: I remember the free dance was on Friday because we went to the small medal ceremony on Saturday and baked in the sun. Also spent the whole day b!tching about DomShabs win and V/M bronze :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information