2025 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Boston

peibeck

Simply looking
The gala was the only event on Sunday in L.A. (2009 ;)). I was lobbychicking late into Saturday night and was dragging for my early Sunday flight. :lol: I remember the free dance was on Friday because we went to the small medal ceremony on Saturday and baked in the sun. Also spent the whole day b!tching about DomShabs win and V/M bronze :D

Okay maybe it was Moscow? Anyway knowing USFS they may want a Sunday afternoon event for NBC. Would it surprise you? Lol

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
🔔🔔🔔 Just looked back at when the ISU had the preliminary rounds (2010 and 2011) since they are returning in Boston, and noted those were held on Monday and Tuesday. Something to keep in mind if you're planning on attending all the competition and when booking your hotel and making travel plans.

Obviously no schedule this early, and 2010 was the last year for the compulsory dance, and in 2011 all four disciplines had a preliminary round. If I read correctly it will only be the men and women in Boston, but I'd expect at least the comp to start Tuesday at the latest.
Pretty sure there will be QRs for every discipline.

Per the Special tech rules in place for next season (it's so complicated and convoluted, IMO) - there are Direct Entries who get to bypass the QRs and these are determined by this year's Worlds results - 24 Men, 24 Women, 16 Pairs and 20 Ice Dance. For the QR, there are UP TO 30 Men, 30 Women, 16 Pairs and 20 Ice Dance - any country without a DE can send one competitor in each discipline provided 1) the skater/team meets the TES min and 2) the country "is ranked amongst the top 30 ISU Members in Men or Women, the top 16 ISU Members in Pair Skating and the top 20 ISU Members in Ice Dance on the Qualifying Round Total Technical Element Score ranking list at the time of the entry deadline."

From the QR the top 12 Men, top 12 Women, top 8 Pairs and top 10 Ice Dance advance to the Championship SP. And from the SP/RD, the top 24 Men/Women, 16 Pairs and 20 Ice Dance advance to the FS/FD.

If we were to apply the new rules to this year's Worlds entries... Let's presume for this exercise that the Total TES is equal to the SP/RD and FS/FD combined we currently have...

Men -
Direct Entries (24) = 1-3 JPN, 4-6 KOR, 7-9 USA, 10-11 CAN, 12-13 FRA, 14-15 ITA, 16-17 SUI, 18 AZE, 19 LAT, 20 KAZ, 21 ISR, 22 EST, 23 SWE, 24 GER
Qualifying Entries (30 max) = 16 ISU Members - CHN, GEO, POL, CZE, TUR, SVK, AUT, GBR, ARM, UKR, ESP, MEX, CRO, BUL, MON & HUN
**FIN is ranked 31 of the ISU Members in Total TES so their man would not be able to compete in the QR despite meeting the TES min.

Women -
Direct Entries (24) = 1-3 JPN, 4-6 KOR, 7-8 BEL, 9-10 EST, 11-12 GER, 13-14 SUI, 15-16 USA, 17 CAN, 18 GEO, 19 POL, 20 ITA, 21 AUT, 22 ROU, 23 FIN, 24 NED
Qualifying Entries (30 max) = 15 ISU Members - LAT, FRA, LTU, TPE, ISR, NOR, CZE, SVK, BUL, MDA, UKR, CYP, GBR, SWE, CHN
**KAZ is ranked 31 of the ISU Members in Total TES so their woman would not be able to compete in the QR despite meeting the TES min.

I'm not sure the ISU has really thought this through and anticipate that they'll change it to top 36 ISU Members for Men & Women at the 2026 ISU Congress, especially if some more countries with skaters just on the cusp of earning the Total TES min earn them next season.

Pairs -
Direct Entries (17) = 1-3 CAN, 4-6 JPN, 7-9 USA, 10-11 AUS, 12-13 GER, 14-15 HUN, 16-17 ITA
***Countries that qualify more than 1 entry for the following year reduce the # of QR entries that can advance to the CR.
Qualifying Entries (16 max) = 12 ISU Members - GEO, NED, FRA, CHN, FIN, POL, GBR, AUT, UKR, SWE, PHI, CZE

Pairs is interesting because 3 of the DEs wouldn't be used (JPN 3, AUS 2, HUN 2), so that would increase the # of QR teams that advance to the CR SP from 8 to 10 (cap of 24 teams in the CR SP), but because FRA doesn't have a Pairs entry this year, just 1 team of the 11 would fail to advance to the CR SP. What a waste of time, money and ice to have a QR just to eliminate 1 team.

Ice Dance -
Direct Entries (20) = 1-3 CAN, 4-6 USA, 7-8 CZE, 9-10 FIN, 11-12 FRA, 13-14 GBR, 15-16 ITA, 17-18 LTU, 19 JPN, 20 GEO
Qualifying Entries (20 max) = 18 ISU Members - SUI, KOR, GER, HUN, ESP, AUS, UKR, IRL, SVK, CHN, POL, ISR, EST, SWE, AZE, NED, ARM, BRA

Dance would have 2 extra countries qualify if a Total TES is used (ARM & BRA) than are currently qualified - and two others are within 2 points of the theoretical 87.00 Total TES (KAZ & BEL). There aren't any other countries that seem close to the Total TES min except CYP (Kudryatseva/Karankevich should be able to get it with an extra element they don't have in juniors), so we might have a scenario where more than 30 countries meet the TES min but since the cap for QEs is 20 in ice dance some team might be left at home (I'm not sure they would have qualified under the current system anyway).

Any way you slice it - there will most likely be a QR for each discipline in Boston.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Thanks, Karen. So if I understand correctly, for the SP/RD, there will be a max of 36 men and women each, 24 pairs and 30 dance?

And if countries qualify additional skaters at this year's Worlds (for ex, if USA qualifies an additional women's spot), then that lowers the amount of skaters allowed into the QR next year? And if a country loses a spot (ex: USA in pairs), then that would increase the number in the QR, up to the max allowed?

peibeck

Simply looking
Thanks @Karen-W. They did have QR/PR in Moscow for all disciplines, per Wikipedia. I just thought someone upthread posted it was the going to be singles. But from what you've posted the ISU has proposed it definitely sounds like all four disciplines.

That's going to be a whole lotta skating! (Makes note to pack some Xanax to allow my nerves to make it through qualifying pairs though!)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The rules for Direct Entries are like one of the changes they made for Olympics qualifying after the US lost a Pairs spot due to a hard maximum. Only if the total number of spots qualified by those earning two or three > targeted Direct Entries total do they start reducing the number of spots into the SP/RD from qualifying.

26 is the maximum number of spots that can be earned by the skaters/teams. But those are very long odds, with the top 2 being the lone skaters from their country (6), 4-10 are the only ones from their country or there are two entries(14), 11-12 having another skater from their country make the FS/FD in 15/16 for Pairs, 15-20 for Dance, or 15-24 for singles (4), and another country placing 13/14 or 13/15 (2), except in Pairs, where they'd need 13/14, and in singles and ID, the second skater would have to place 16-45 or 16-20 if they had a 13/15 placement.

I think it's absurd to have a minimum score and then cut the number of qualifiers, considering that they've got a max of 54 for singles, 32 for Pairs and 40 for Dance, able to compete in the qualifiers, and then they're limiting participants to the Top X competitors in total TES. Just pick one, and don't pretend that you're trying to be inclusive by having qualifier rounds, but then cutting out skaters who've met your minimums. Or if you want to be fancy, say that anyone not in the Top X has to meet the minimums more than once, if you're so concerned about qualify.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
say that anyone not in the Top X has to meet the minimums more than once, if you're so concerned about qualify.
Or do as the Boston Marathon does. Anyone with a qualifying time can enter, but they assign spots fastest to slowest. Once the division is filled, if you’re slower, you’re out.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Or do as the Boston Marathon does. Anyone with a qualifying time can enter, but they assign spots fastest to slowest. Once the division is filled, if you’re slower, you’re out.
Well, that is essentially what they are doing by only allowing the Top 30 in Total TES to have a Qualifying Entry, provided that the entry has met the Total TES min.

Doing the math, going back to this year as a hypothetical example - 3 men will not move from the QR to the CR SP (SUI is only using 1 of their DE spots), and all of the women in the QR will move on to the CR SP (GER is only using 1 of their DE spots and NED isn't using their DE spot, plus CYP doesn't have anyone aside from Kitromilis who just had surgery).

The only discipline where there will be a significant cut from the QR to the CR SP will be dance but even there... I still fail to see the overall value added to the whole event in bringing back the QR.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Well, that is essentially what they are doing by only allowing the Top 30 in Total TES to have a Qualifying Entry, provided that the entry has met the Total TES min.
They are different. For example, if there are 30 potential spots for Men in the qualifier (54-24 Direct Entries), and 35 Men have the TES Total Minimum, but only 18 of those 35 Men are in the Top 30 countries with the TTM, The ISU scheme only let 18 of them into the qualifier. Similarly if 19 Men have the TTM, but only 18 of them are in the Top 30 countries with the TTM, they only let 18 of them into the qualifier.

The Boston Marathon approach would let the Top 30 of the 35 into the qualifier in the first case, and all 19 in the second case.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
2016 I got some insanely cheap rate at the Taj. It was amazing. Now it's the Newbury Boston.

So many hotels are sold out already. I have a F&F rate through a friend with Hilton. Yikes.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
So many hotels are sold out already.
Most hotels aren’t open for booking March 2025 yet. That is why it says sold out. Hyatt and Citizen M are the only places I have found open for booking. I have been checking the main brands every few days since March. I will continue to post when I see a brand open up.

Edited to add: Hilton does show some rates of $800 a night but I think this is due to what @peibeck said upthread, max rate as it is still a year out.

Last edited:

AnnM

2016 I got some insanely cheap rate at the Taj. It was amazing. Now it's the Newbury Boston.

So many hotels are sold out already. I have a F&F rate through a friend with Hilton. Yikes.

Same. I couldn't believe the negotiated rate for the Taj and I ended up with an incredible room overlooking Boston Common. I'm so sad it was sold and rebranded.

I think the sold out messages showing now are for hotels not yet booking that far out. Happens to me every event.

AnnM

Since I know bag policies are always a hot topic 😉, this is from the LOC's monthly update email which was just sent out:

"The TD Garden, the main venue for the 2025 Championships, recently announced a new bag policy for entry into the arena. The new policy states:

Small bags, clutches, crossbodies and wristlets are permitted. Bags should not exceed 6” x 4” x 1.5”. They do not need to be clear. Diaper bags, breast pumps and medically necessary bags are exempt from this rule, but will be subject to search."​

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
@AnnM They have new screening equipment that can automatically scan a small bag and have been able to eliminate at least one screener at each entrance. I plan to badger them starting about 6 months before the event reminding them that the small bag doesn’t work for an all day event.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Citizen M at North Station is open for booking. I signed up for free Citizen M membership, 7 nights for $263 average a night (rate with taxes added in). The rooms are tiny but right by arena.

This is the way. I mean, how much time does anyone spend in their room at an event like Worlds? As long as it's comfortable to sleep there, and the facilities are clean, that's really all you need.

ETA you go @Aceon6 . That teeny bag policy is ridiculous.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
@AnnM They have new screening equipment that can automatically scan a small bag and have been able to eliminate at least one screener at each entrance. I plan to badger them starting about 6 months before the event reminding them that the small bag doesn’t work for an all day event.

I think they plan on having a booth in Montreal, so I’ll start laying the groundwork 😄

alizadavida

This is the way. I mean, how much time does anyone spend in their room at an event like Worlds? As long as it's comfortable to sleep there, and the facilities are clean, that's really all you need.

ETA you go @Aceon6 . That teeny bag policy is ridiculous.
they had the new bag policy when i was there for Disney on ice and based on what I'm hearing for celtics/bruins/concerts they aren't allowing exceptions.

Also if you get club seats you get your own security line

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Small bags, clutches, crossbodies and wristlets are permitted. Bags should not exceed 6” x 4” x 1.5”.
Out of curiosity I measured my smallest wristlet, it is 7x4x1.5. Started looking at Amazon and I’m finding nothing that is 6x4. Looks like I’m investing in an expensive ScotteVest.

acraven

I've never had to resort to this after the first day of an event, but I may have to do it in Boston:

The rules say nothing about what you can carry into the arena in your hands. You need to organize the contents of your normal-size, lightweigt tote in such a way that you can carry them up to the screening position in your arms and shove the empty tote in your coat pocket.

I understand the security concerns, especially in Boston, but as of January they had a very reasonably size limit, and they need to revert to it for Worlds. The new size is laughable for an event where large number of attendees will be buying an 8-1/2" x 11" program at the first opportunity and carrying it into the arena daily. Plenty of pens are more than 6" long. What are people who've walked to the arena supposed to do with their hats, glove, sunglasses, umbrellas?

manhn

Since I know bag policies are always a hot topic 😉, this is from the LOC's monthly update email which was just sent out:

"The TD Garden, the main venue for the 2025 Championships, recently announced a new bag policy for entry into the arena. The new policy states:

Small bags, clutches, crossbodies and wristlets are permitted. Bags should not exceed 6” x 4” x 1.5”. They do not need to be clear. Diaper bags, breast pumps and medically necessary bags are exempt from this rule, but will be subject to search."​

Back in 2016, I purposely brought my manpurse for this event. They let me in with it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@acraven Perhaps the people with coats, scarves, umbrellas etc are expected to buy overpriced tote bags at the merchandise stands inside the arena ;)

At the last arena event I went to (a concert in the summer) the AC was so cold that lots of people bought hoodies, long sleeve shirts and the like. I'm still wondering if that extra cold AC was on purpose....

Debbie S

@acraven Perhaps the people with coats, scarves, umbrellas etc are expected to buy overpriced tote bags at the merchandise stands inside the arena ;)

At the last arena event I went to (a concert in the summer) the AC was so cold that lots of people bought hoodies, long sleeve shirts and the like. I'm still wondering if that extra cold AC was on purpose....
The arena in Reading, PA at 07 SA was freezing. My mom bought a scarf at the merchandise booth which I still have and take with me to all skating events (I needed it this year at SA in Dallas)....lots of people were buying the 'warmer' merchandise...we wondered if there was a reason behind the freezing temps.

Firedancer

Stopped and talked to the Boston people about the bag policy. They said they get it. It’s not a 2-3 hour event. We are there all day and people bring blankets and stuff. They are scheduled to meet with TD Garden and said they are going to discuss it with them. Probably wouldn’t hurt if they heard that a lot this week.

Gayo

Stopped and talked to the Boston people about the bag policy. They said they get it. It’s not a 2-3 hour event. We are there all day and people bring blankets and stuff. They are scheduled to meet with TD Garden and said they are going to discuss it with them. Probably wouldn’t hurt if they heard that a lot this week.
I’ll be sure and offer my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information