2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

Judy

It only takes that long if you are going to South East Asia.

Montreal - Tokyo is only 12 hours

I’m guessing the South Korea team are connecting to Toronto and doing the direct flight to Seoul (about 12 hours.)
A flight is never just flying time though lol.

Sonata

I meant with transfers, takes almost 24 hours…. Optimistic, 15-18 hours. Still, basically a day, and Asia is quite a few hours ahead, so they’ll be arriving in Asia “Monday”.

Forgot to mention, after the men’s ceremony, all members of the pairs podium teams were taking photos with large flags and then did a short skate around. So now, there are some photos with all the pairs teams present. Nice touch!

Allskate

That's where the politiking comes in. :skandal Get it done, USFS!
Can't USFS wait to fill their third spot for Skate America until after the assignments are made? And then give someone a second spot if they are assigned to only one event?
This 100%. Ilia obviously isn’t artistic like Jason or Yuma or Shoma but he is a great performer. This was on display last night. Anyone who keeps saying he’s only winning because of the jumps needs to take the blinders off.

There are some who think that he is getting inflated PCS, but I don't think there are very many people who are saying that Yuma or Shoma or Jason or Adam deserved to win instead of him. But, I also don't think there are very many people who would say that, if you don't consider the jumps, Ilia is the best skater in the world. And there's nothing wrong with that. He is a phenomenal jumper who also is very, very good - just not the absolute best in the world - at the other aspects of the sport as well.

There really is no question that the jumps play a much bigger role in determining the outcome than PCS does. The jumps are the large majority of the differences in the skaters' tech scores. And the tech score plays a much bigger role in determining the winner than PCS does. Among the top six finishers last night, there was only an 8 point spread in PCS scores. The TES difference among those same skaters was over 50 points. And, obviously, most of that difference is coming from Ilia's jumps. (Those differences are even bigger if you look at the entire field.)

Posting Christine Brennan's column in this thread beause she writes about the USA's 3 medals in 3 disciplines at Worlds:
"Isabeau, no." :lol: I do hope she stops having to shut down her own "what ifs," especially in the middle of a program. She apparently said in the press conference that she didn't think she could perform well in the long program because she didn't feel the six-minute warm-up went well. I hope that, in the future, when she has a poor warm-up, she will think back to her performance here. And I hope that this will give her more confidence in general.

Skate Talker

All in all I would have to say this was an incredible World Championships for so many reasons.
(I also like the symmetry of the competition. The very FIRST skaters at World were pretty darn good yet finished LAST in the FIRST event. The LAST skater at Worlds wasn't half bad either and finished FIRST in the LAST event.)

Judy

All in all I would have to say this was an incredible World Championships for so many reasons.
(I also like the symmetry of the competition. The very FIRST skaters at World were pretty darn good yet finished LAST in the FIRST event. The LAST skater at Worlds wasn't half bad either and finished FIRST in the LAST event.)
It was amazing! Soooo many great skates! Awesome audience too 😍

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
As we should know, but often forget, the vast majority of locals have work as well as coordinating kids school and activities during the week. Not everyone wants to or can take time off to attend a skating competition. There were few seats to be had on Saturday, the worst weather day of the lot.

livetoskate

Big thanks to the people on FSU who mentioned the ArriveCan and MPC apps. I used them and was able to get through and bypass huge lines at the airport. Worlds was so much fun. Great location, excellent competition. I'll definitely plan on being in Boston!

Aceon6

There was NO one in the MPC line at Logan. I got to the baggage carousel about 5 minutes before the bags did.

Heads up for those using MPC for Boston worlds, the line is labeled MPC/Diplomats and is just past the Global Entry line as you enter the arrivals hall. eta, The app is well designed and I had time to do the declaration form whilst waiting to get off the plane.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Did anyone else buy an event program? Were they really $29 CAD? At least, that's what it appears to be based on the charge on my cc and the exchange rate. I didn't even ask about the price and didn't get a receipt.

ice coverage

Did anyone else buy an event program? Were they really $29 CAD? At least, that's what it appears to be based on the charge on my cc and the exchange rate. I didn't even ask about the price and didn't get a receipt.

I did not buy an event program, but IIRC, the base price was $25 CAD.

I did get a receipt for my merch purchase.
Base price of the items was $46 CAD total.
TPS = $2.30 CAD (5% of base price)
TVQ = $4.60 CAD (10% of base price)
Grand total = $52.90 CAD

Sorry that I'm too lazy :lol: to look up what TPS and TVQ stand for, but 15% of $25 CAD would be $3.75, so I think your grand total for a program would have been $28.75 CAD?

Last edited:

Debbie S

Sorry that I'm too lazy :lol: to look up what TPS and TVQ stand for, but 15% of $25 CAD would be $3.75, so I think your grand total for a program would have been $28.75 CAD?
Thanks! That makes sense (but WTH, U.S. Nats programs are $15 USD!).

Former Lurve Goddess

I did not buy an event program, but IIRC, the base price was $25 CAD.

I did get a receipt for my merch purchase.
Base price of the items was $46 CAD total.
TPS = $2.30 CAD (5% of base price)
TVQ = $4.60 CAD (10% of base price)
Grand total = $52.90 CAD

TPS is Canada's federal tax (GST) TVQ is Quebec's provincial tax. Not sure if it's still the case, but Quebec used to charge their provincial tax on top of the federal tax - so a tax on a tax.

Aceon6

I didn’t get the program. In comparison, the sweatshirt was a steal at $60 CAD with tax as was the $20 CAD tote bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information