ISU Provisional Allotments for 2024, 2025 and 2026

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
A matter of big bucks (well, big Euros) again. Orléans denied the event any financial support. Which was entirely predictable since they already denied it once. Grenoble is coming to the rescue and apparently offering € 150.000. Geographically it's going to be a hassle for many people. But not for yours truly who lives 45 mn away from Grenoble when Orléans was a 8h drive (no domestic flights available). The arena has been remodeled recently, but it's rather small for a GPF and the press room is a pit located outside the main building. Still, I'm part of the few who are happy with the change of location. Closest international airport is Lyon Saint Exupery, then it's train or bus to Grenoble. There are only 2 hotels in the immediate vicinity of the rink, but there is a big mall across the street for food and shopping. Welcome to the Alps mountain range and to the 1968 Winter Olys city 😉

Hanna

Skating junkie
A matter of big bucks (well, big Euros) again. Orléans denied the event any financial support. Which was entirely predictable since they already denied it once. Grenoble is coming to the rescue and apparently offering € 150.000. Geographically it's going to be a hassle for many people. But not for yours truly who lives 45 mn away from Grenoble when Orléans was a 8h drive (no domestic flights available). The arena has been remodeled recently, but it's rather small for a GPF and the press room is a pit located outside the main building. Still, I'm part of the few who are happy with the change of location. Closest international airport is Lyon Saint Exupery, then it's train or bus to Grenoble. There are only 2 hotels in the immediate vicinity of the rink, but there is a big mall across the street for food and shopping. Welcome to the Alps mountain range and to the 1968 Winter Olys city 😉
Is it the Patinoire Polesud? Does look quite small indeed. Also quite far from the city center, non?

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
Is it the Patinoire Polesud? Does look quite small indeed. Also quite far from the city center, non?
Yes it is Pole Sud. It was OK for French regular GPs but it's indeed small for a Finale. It's located 15/20 mn from the center by public transportation.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Well we got our flights to Charles de Gaul airport for less price than flying to Halifax for skate canada. So just need to figure out best way to get there, I think it’s about a 6 hour drive which is nothing for us. Unless domestic flight easier? Hmmmm

Also for air B&B will need to check out new ones.

Last edited:

skatfan

Fine by me. I have real issues with skaters doing both junior and senior level ISU Championships in the same season. If you're good enough to win or medal at Euros/4CCs then you've got no business competing at Jr Worlds. I'm lookin' at you Kao Miura and Metelkina/Berulava.
Well, in Kao Miura's situation, it was a strategic decision by the Japanese skating federation to spread out their top men among the various championships.I'm sure he'd rather have gone to senior World's that year.

And didn't Ilia compete in both Jr (won) and Sr Worlds (4th) in 2022? US Figure Skating wanted those Junior spots for the men the next year.

Reactions: Rob

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, in Kao Miura's situation, it was a strategic decision by the Japanese skating federation to spread out their top men among the various championships.I'm sure he'd rather have gone to senior World's that year.

And didn't Ilia compete in both Jr (won) and Sr Worlds (4th) in 2022? US Figure Skating wanted those Junior spots for the men the next year.
Ilia finished 9th at Sr Worlds in 2022 - he was 4th in the SP.

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
Well we got our flights to Charles de Gaul airport for less price than flying to Halifax for skate canada. So just need to figure out best way to get there, I think it’s about a 6 hour drive which is nothing for us. Unless domestic flight easier? Hmmmm

Also for air B&B will need to check out new ones.
There are frequent daily domestic flights between Charles de Gaulle and Saint Exupery. Or you have direct high speed trains between Paris in Grenoble. Renting a car may not be very expensive but gas and toll roads are!

4rkidz

There are frequent daily domestic flights between Charles de Gaulle and Saint Exupery. Or you have direct high speed trains between Paris in Grenoble. Renting a car may not be very expensive but gas and toll roads are!
Thanks I will check out both of those options as yeah car rental is cheap. But didn’t think of the tolls & gas

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I think I will take the train; it seems easier to fly into Paris (I hate CDG though) and take the TGV. I could fly into Geneva, with a stop in New York. I wish it was a week later then Mini could come with me, he is dying to go to France. At least he will be in Allen with me! (so will Mr Lanie :rofl: )

@4rkidz so excited to see you in Grenoble though and cholla too!

4rkidz

I think I will take the train; it seems easier to fly into Paris (I hate CDG though) and take the TGV. I could fly into Geneva, with a stop in New York. I wish it was a week later then Mini could come with me, he is dying to go to France. At least he will be in Allen with me! (so will Mr Lanie :rofl: )

@4rkidz so excited to see you in Grenoble though and cholla too!
Yes we have not decided which route yet, excited to see you again hope the knee is fully healed by then! You can meet my daughter! Cholla too

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
No offence to anyone, but this is the second time in a row, and I'm not amused.

Grenoble is a hole in the middle of nowhere with a completely unsuitable arena for a big event. Four hours by train from Paris vs. one, I'm already booked for this event, and have no idea how to reorganize now - this change a loss of a workday each direction. Super annoyed about this change.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
ISU Communication No. 2634 Decisions of the Council (May 13, 2024): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/33778-isu-communication-2634/file

2025 Europeans location now TBD (Croatia can't host); JGP #1 in France has been moved to become #7 in Wuxi, China; Grenoble confirmed as new city of GPF/JGPF in December 2024.
https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1790081788867432490/photo/1
Well, that's one way for China to gain some extra JGP spots they lost by not competing at Jr Worlds.

Last edited:

Stephanie

It’s great that China stepped in to host a JGP at such short notice, but it’s far from ideal that the last event (for which there are usually last minute changes) is in a country for which almost everyone needs visas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information