Zagitova announces a temporary suspension of her competitive career; will perform in shows, incl. 'Art on Ice 2020'

Sylvia

TBD

TV interview is here: https://www.1tv.ru/news/2019-12-13/...gitovoy_dlya_programmy_vremya_polnaya_versiya

She will not compete at nationals; "I will keep practicing and think it's a good thing, I will be finding myself and reinventing myself, learning new elements, new entrances to the jumps, I remain with my coaches with whom I made such a great journey..."
The TV interview has been translated in 3 posts by @TAHbKA in the From Russia with love thread:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ve-35-winter-2019.106406/page-17#post-5707694
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ve-35-winter-2019.106406/page-17#post-5707700
She will perform in a show as Sleeping Beauty and complete her studies: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ve-35-winter-2019.106406/page-18#post-5707706

ETA:

She will perform for the first time in the Art on Ice 2020 shows in Switzerland: https://www.artonice.com/en/shows/
ZURICH Feb. 6- 9
LAUSANNE Feb. 11
BASEL Feb. 13-14
DAVOS Feb. 15-16

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I wish her well. Almost every skater who has won the Olympics says the motivation to keep up the intense training schedule afterwards is difficult. She can enjoy the results of her wins. She's only 17 and has many opportunities open for her future. Go and enjoy Alina!

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Heh. I should had placed bets in August when claimed she'll do the GPs, perhaps GPF and no way she'll show up for the nationals where she might not make it to the top 10.
A shame she was not allowed to say goodbuy at the GPF in front of a whole rink of her fans. It might had been more significant, then the main TV station in Russia.
Well, she broke the 15y.o. Olympic champion who retires immediately after the win by winning the 2019 Worlds and thanks Alina for all your skates and good luck with the shows.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am glad she won the worlds last year. At least she proved herself and others that the Olympics were not just one lucky competition. Good luck to her for her future.

Good day for Guliakova, who just gained her spot at the nationals.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Russian ladies internal competition is not for any skater unless they are focused on some goal. It's too challenging, too much risk of injury and a whole lot of stress training unless you still want to win something. She's already won everything there is to win. At only 17!

Tinami Amori

Well... i guess she clearly stated she will eventually attend the Moscow University of Physical Education, and plans to coach some day.. so there is no reason to offer her an idea to study at London School of Economics or Harvard.... :D or even a culinary school in Japan, since she wanted to open a Japanese restaurant.

When she officially retires from skating, i hope she expands her future prospects outside of "skating world and coaching". Hope at some point she studies and starts a business.

SamuraiK

NOt surprised at all after GP. If she doesn'0t have the mind state better safer herself from another pain of not making the team. She's won everything already after all. But If she still wants it though, she could come back next season, because while this is one is mostly moot who know how will the 3A will deal with puberty next year.

Sylvia

TBD
@TAHbKA could you please tell us what Eteri is saying in this clip?

Posted in the FRWL thread:
Tutberidze: unfortunately it's not a sudden decision. For 1.5 years Alina was saying what is her decision, it's not sudden and the 1.5 years she kept competing and fighting were really hard. It was a quest - at the summer she asked for a break, I want a break and I want to want to compete. She is such a beautiful skater, so we and the federation were trying to convince her to stay. I think she'll come back, I think she will decide herself she wants to skate and compete. She is still skating and practicing and we will do our best to support her when she decide. We want her to miss it as much as possible

J

Jeschke

Good day for Guliakova, who just gained her spot at the nationals.
Talalaykina would be next in line before Guliakova, or?
And I thought open spots (after wd) were just handed out (by whomever) and have not to go in line with RC ranking?

Either way, off topic here.

Last edited by a moderator:

hanca

Values her privacy
Talalaykina would be next in line before Guliakova, or?
And I thought open spots (after wd) were just handed out (by whomever) and have not to go in line with RC ranking?

Either way, off topic here.
I think Talalaikina is already in, she would have been added instead of Sotskova. And Guliakova is the next one in queue after Talalaikina.

Flora

Not a fan of her skating but she's a winner. After hearing her say she needed to lose at least 3kg to learn quads, I questioned her long term ability and desire to stay competitive. She's so young and her adult life is really just starting. Best wishes to her future!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Wish Alina the best for whatever she decides to do in the future. She did everything that she could do in this sport. She is such a dedicated athlete. She deserves to have time to rest and consider about her future plan. Have a good rest and enjoy yourself, Alina! :cheer2:

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

After hearing her say she needed to lose at least 3kg to learn quads, I questioned her long term ability and desire to stay competitive.
She needs to lose 3 kg to start learning the quad at this moment. She may not had to consider every kg of her weight now if she started learning it back in Juniors, and was just reinstating it now. Because first attempts usual come with falls, the less weight, the less painful and possible is the the fall. With age there is fear factor.

She did bang-up the side of her hip when she fell in FS, and it only reconfirmed that she needs at least a break now.

She'll have to think hard now if, as a grown up respectable young Lady, she wants to keep on banging her butt on the ice, instead of making money and eating sushi a lot more often.... and then there is travel, see the world.

I must be the only person in the world today who is happy that Alina is moving on.... :biggrinbo

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The technical level of ladies' skating has risen so much this season in Russia, even at her absolute best, it was always going to be a battle to make the podium.

I think it is a wise decision to take a break and tour. As others have said, she has won everything. Why not capitalise on your titles and enjoy performing without the pressure of competition attached to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information