Yuzuru Hanyu Cheer Thread

Spun Silver

Meoima

I cannot comprehend how he can even think about a 4A with this kind of injury. Or how he managed to do a 300-pt FS this month with it. Once again I am forced to contemplate the difference between me and superhero figure skaters!
Updating news about Yuzuru is hard. It has been like this since 2013... like injuries, rehab, competition, injuries, rehab, competition, then injuries and rehab again. It’s so frustrating but oh well it’s like rinse and repeat.
I can only wish for the best that he gets that 4A finally and says bye to JSF.

Meoima

Joseph Phan interview mentioned a bit of Yuzuru in there
http://lastwords.pythonanywhere.com/post/25/
——
I try to socialize with Yuzu and Evgenia and I never feel comfortable talking to them. It’s always like, “Hi, hi, how are you, I’m good.” That’s it. I never go further than that. If I go further than that, then it’s a little joke and then we laugh and we don’t know what to say after that and it gets kind of awkward.
Last week, last Saturday, no one was there because it was Saturday and no one competes anymore so they take it easier, but I was there and Yuzu was there. Tracy Wilson was there too and Yuzu was training—he was so good that day. I asked Tracy how was Yuzu always able to compete really well under extreme pressure because I remember before [the World Championships] he was not at his top and he was actually struggling a lot, but at Worlds, you didn’t see that at all, right? He was amazing. After the session, Tracy came up to me and told me to ask Yuzu that question and then he started giving me advice. He started opening up so much and that was the most we’ve talked to each other. He was really nice, he’s just always in his bubble and really focused that he doesn’t really tend to socialize with other people, which can be a good thing because he’s focused on himself. That time I was really able to talk to him and I guess we bonded a little more.
Skater: Yuzu. Watching him skate and train every day gave me more respect [for him].
Yuzuru Hanyu: Lovable. (Everyone loves him, even if he never talks to you).

Meoima

English translation of a great analysis of Yuzuru's Origin program: https://planethanyu.com/topic/919-y...in-translation-of-yulia-krivikhinas-analysis/
Part of the analysis:
The first steps of the entry into the jump sequence punctuate the start of the new musical phrase. Wide step RFI/LFI, a complex step sequence defined as 'false step' in Russian figure skating world (Mohawk LFI, lunge on the free leg, transfer of weight onto the supporting leg, crossover) – change to moving forward – three turn LFO – 4T3A SEQ.
Yuzuru demonstrates the musical performance of an immensely difficult element when both jumps are performed on the musical peak and are brilliantly into the rhythmic pattern of the musical bar.

And this is the analysis for the short program Otonal: https://kolmogorov-is-sad.tumblr.co...al-by-raúl-di-blasio-ice-watercolor-of-yuzuru
Part of the analysis:
A LFO waltz three turn with accentuated lobe of the exit and a crossed step RBI/LBO on the beat (third accord), direction change forward, running step, chasse LFI/RFO and direction change right on the note (forth accord), lingering and accentuated crossover and two more crossovers on the final fifth harmony. Delicate and slightly reversed choreography of this part is connected to the laconism of the musical phrase. Then Yuzuru softly stands in the Ina Bauer (with elegant arms movement) that unites the first part to the second and also marks the beginning the solo 4S entry: accentuated waltz three turn LFO at the start of the phrase – backward power three turn RBO – inside spread eagle – RBO backward power three turn – 4S.

Meoima

Catch these while you can. Two videos of Yuzuru's new show programs for Fantasy on Ice:

Crystal Memories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXQfp18RYg&feature=youtu.be

Masquerade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXdQHn5Iqx8&feature=youtu.be

His musicality is really on full display in these numbers. So great to watch. :)
ToshI has such a crazy voice. Clear and powerful. I can't believe he is 53 years old. Honestly, this is the first time FaOI could invite such a high profile singer. I love Yuzuru's performance in these.

Spun Silver

Well done, Yuzu! It's touching to see how happy he was and how much applause and support he got for it. Everyone is following his journey.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, or did I miss it? A US ballet company is paying tribute to Hanyu in a few days with a new ballet based on his "Notte Stellata"! I've never heard of such a tribute to any skater by a ballet company before. It seems the company director is crazy in love with his skating and transmitted her fandom to the whole company. They watched lots (or all) of his programs before settling on "Notte Stellata."

Fairuza

Well done, Yuzu! It's touching to see how happy he was and how much applause and support he got for it. Everyone is following his journey.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, or did I miss it? A US ballet company is paying tribute to Hanyu in a few days with a new ballet based on his "Notte Stellata"! I've never heard of such a tribute to any skater by a ballet company before. It seems the company director is crazy in love with his skating and transmitted her fandom to the whole company. They watched lots (or all) of his programs before settling on "Notte Stellata."
The company director was even interviewed by Jack Gallagher
And she found him quite balletic, in contrast to what some people claim...

Sylvia

TBD
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, or did I miss it? A US ballet company is paying tribute to Hanyu in a few days with a new ballet based on his "Notte Stellata"!
I posted the link to Jack Gallagher's article earlier/above when it was published on May 9th ;) and here is the performance by the ballet company (love how it begins!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzVx2P7TYM
Crescendo Conservatory is proud to pay homage to a true artistic inspiration Yuzuru Hanyu. This dance was performed at the Future Stages Festival at the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts in Kansas City, USA on June 16th.

TallyT

Yuzuru was an inspiration for the 2020 Olympic medals, according to the designer.

https://twitter.com/mry55559999/stat...69467865640960

So you could say he not only has 2 gold of his own, he is now a (small) part of every medal given out in Tokyo. In fact, in a recent Japanese poll, he was the favourite athlete to light the cauldron though the article suggested that they may let children from the disaster area do it.

And he also was in the latest ESPN World Fame 100, the only figure skater, the only one in the whole list with no social media, and one of the few who they admit they had to estimate endorsement figures for (he's still good at keeping things private)

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...-fame-100-2019

Last edited:

DreamSkates

And he also was in the latest ESPN World Fame 100, the only figure skater, the only one in the whole list with no social media, and one of the few who they admit they had to estimate endorsement figures for (he's still good at keeping things private)

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...-fame-100-2019
That's amazing - no social media but a figure skating super hero (as he called himself) especially in Japan

clairecloutier

Yes, he's been doing it since at least 2012, and probably before.

I am looking forward to seeing really slowed-down videos of the jumps that were called URs in his Autumn Classic LP. They were shown in regular slow motion after his skate and the URs really weren't apparent. Maybe a little bit on the first 4T ....

I really enjoyed the Origins LP artistically, he just brings so much power and emotion in the final minute and a half, especially. I find the program quite intense to watch. It seems like it is not resonating that much with non-fans, though, and maybe not with the judges. Aymoz ahead on PCS? not in my view, for sure. But then again, I'm a Yuzu fan.

clairecloutier

This tweet includes translation of an interview with Yuzuru after ACI:

Interesting stuff.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yuzuru was awesome in the SP. in the LP he will be competing only against himself. I hope he skates great again.

bardtoob

Yuzuru held his own this week, as 2 Time Olympic Champion. Yuzuru is the only skater, male or female, with a higher TES Base than Trusova in the Senior Grand Prix this year (2019-20) so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information