Yuzuru Hanyu Cheer Thread

antmanb

Any word on how he is doing/how his preparations for worlds have gone?

This thread has been awfully quiet and no discussion on him returning to jumping or anything.

Is he ready for worlds?

sharsk8s

Any word on how he is doing/how his preparations for worlds have gone?

This thread has been awfully quiet and no discussion on him returning to jumping or anything.

Is he ready for worlds?
Tracy did say that yuzu was doing quads but other then that it has been pretty quite

antmanb

Tracy did say that yuzu was doing quads but other then that it has been pretty quite

Fingers crossed for him. I know he'd only been doing quads for a couple of weeks before the Olys so he obviously has the history to back him up, but i'd be interested to know when he started jumping again and how his return has been going.

nimi

The 4Lo is there in his planned program content, but he hasn't done any official practices yet. (He only arrived in Japan earlier today.)

in a groundbreaking update, yuzu said 'I will work hard' when asked about his enthusiasm/motivation for the competition but he also smiled at the cheers of support from the many fans who had gathered at the airport
https://twitter.com/axelsandwich/status/1107592579468546050

brian was also interviewed and says 'A good feeling. Well, keep watching.' (いい感じだ。まあ見ててよ). (JPN wording can be translated in many ways so I kind of want to see what he actually said in ENG, 見ててよ is a softer version of 'please watch')
https://twitter.com/axelsandwich/status/1107604730014908418

DreamSkates

I just hope if he is not 100% he doesn't do something to re-injure himself, or make his situation worse. How many injuries has he had in recent years and had to skip Grand Prix/final? What is the point this year of trying for another world gold? With 2 OGM and so many earned accolades, he could skip this year and make sure he is 100% before competing at such a high level. But, that is an elite athlete - they don't give up easily.

nimi

So, now he's done his first official practice. From Jackie's practice notes:
No single jumps today - after a few laps and edge work, Yuzuru Hanyu goes 3A and 4T3T to open his practice session
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1107826838821208065

Looks like he really is going for the 4Lo despite probably not being 100%
Just a bit of a grimace and a lift of his landing foot after landing a beautiful 4Lo - Yuzuru Hanyu is probably not totally pain-free at this point, but he looks amazing out there
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1107830579117072384

I'm torn between :yikes:and :cheer:

Prayers for his right ankle...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I amheart broken for Yuzuru. Such a big mistake! He has no chance of winning the gold. He is lucky to be in the top 3. I am still sad about the SP.

Sally1214

I amheart broken for Yuzuru. Such a big mistake! He has no chance of winning the gold. He is lucky to be in the top 3. I am still sad about the SP.

I know how you feel. What a shame. I am still not convinced he is completely healthy. He did not look to be 100% to me. Also, I can't even begin to imagine the pressure & expectations on him. Oh well .... here's hoping he will be able to deliver a free skate he can be truly happy with. No matter what happens, nothing can diminish the brilliance of Yuzuru Hanyu.

Spun Silver

He didn't look 100% to me either - but if he's even 90% he has a chance to win gold. 13 points is not what it used to be with the monster scores the top guys put up nowadays. Plus as we all know, the ice is slippery....

Fiero425

Shocking! Thought it was someone playing a "goof" on me when I checked the Wiki listing; 3 Americans in the top 4 with the Japanese scratching to stay in it! So weird to see! I never would have thought anyone but Nathan would challenge them! :rolleyes: :COP: :duh: :plush:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Shocking! Thought it was someone playing a "goof" on me when I checked the Wiki listing; 3 Americans in the top 4 with the Japanese scratching to stay in it! So weird to see! I never would have thought anyone but Nathan would challenge them! :rolleyes: :COP: :duh: :plush:

To me the real shocker was Jason in second place and Shoma in sixth. I like Jason’s skating a lot but at this point in time I want to see a quad attempt by whoever skates, to make it to the final flight. Some years ago a triple axel was compulsory for men. I want to see a quad compulsory- at least a serious attempt for it.

kiches

I know how you feel. What a shame. I am still not convinced he is completely healthy. He did not look to be 100% to me. Also, I can't even begin to imagine the pressure & expectations on him. Oh well .... here's hoping he will be able to deliver a free skate he can be truly happy with. No matter what happens, nothing can diminish the brilliance of Yuzuru Hanyu.

He's mentioned in a Japanese TV interview already that his ankle isn't exactly fully healed, despite what he said in the Japanese men's press conference that his condition is 100%. I'm sure 100% means different things to him at different times and he feels right now he is as prepared as he can be, given the situation. Any way, I'm rooting for him and know he'll give it his all for the free.

Spun Silver

Even if Yuzuru has to settle for silver, his performance was amazing. It seemed that almost every jump could have gone south but miraculously he held on to all of them. It was thrilling because you could see he was not at his best physically, but mentally he willed himself to a 300 (!) point FS. Nathan is the only one in the world now who could have beaten him. And if Nathan had gone first, maybe Yuzuru would have willed himself to 334 points. He was in his own world. I was shaking inside by the end of that skate. I hope one day we can see him and Nathan go head to head or blade to blade when both are healthy. Congrats to Yuzu and his wonderful fans who cheered for Nathan too.

nimi

dlynndao

I think technically Yuzuru was the first to break 300, even if subsequently broken by the next skater! We'll stand by whatever he decides for the future, but I do hope we get to see a fully healthy Yuzuru perform these programs again.

That K&C clip! 😂😂😂

Does anyone have full translation of TAT and Yags commentary during Yuzu's FS? I read somewhere that Yagudin mentioned something about wanting to be a flower girl 😆

BittyBug

Disgusted
Beyond his supernatural talent, Hanyu is the fiercest of competitors. Between his Olympic performance and now this one, his ability to perform despite limited training and injury is phenomenal. And I thought it particularly fitting that he was skating to a Plushenko tribute, given that Plushy was similarly dominant.

clairecloutier

If you scroll through this Twitter account, there are a lot of great quotes from Yuzuru's press interviews after Worlds: https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus

It kind of gives me chills that there's absolutely no mention of retirement, but instead only a focus on how he wants to do better next season. What other skater, ever, ever, ever, could still be so motivated after winning 2 Olympic golds!

But, he also says that he's consulted with a lot of experts, and there's no surgical solution for his ankle problems. :wuzrobbed I just wish something could be done ....

Fiero425

If you scroll through this Twitter account, there are a lot of great quotes from Yuzuru's press interviews after Worlds: https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus

It kind of gives me chills that there's absolutely no mention of retirement, but instead only a focus on how he wants to do better next season. What other skater, ever, ever, ever, could still be so motivated after winning 2 Olympic golds!

But, he also says that he's consulted with a lot of experts, and there's no surgical solution for his ankle problems. :wuzrobbed I just wish something could be done ....

Rest's always an Ave. to utilize! He's not helping himself doing all those quads; saving them even harder to do! :wall:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I didn’t watch the men’s LP. Will watch Yuzuru’sskate when I have more time.
I have been busy this weekend. Glad to hear he skated great.

Now please take care of your health, Yuzuru.

Marco

He is amazing and has nothing else to prove. I hope skating / competing at this point is something that he personally enjoys and is not being forced upon him by his Fed etc. More importantly, I hope that if he continues to skate / compete, he is not doing further damage to his body. Those quads can't be good for his ankles.

I think the 4toe - 3axel is awesome but I can't help but think this isn't the most mathmatically or strategical wise element because of the 20% discount in base value to two of his biggest jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information