You Go...GOGO - Stephen Gogolev Fan Thread

Emdee

That was great. A little off his best but hopefully in the running for a medal.

A great first experience of the super big world stage.

Colonel Green

That was great. A little off his best but hopefully in the running for a medal.

A great first experience of the super big world stage.
Yeah, he did what he needed to in the short. After the first jump I was a bit worried, but he kept going, even if the second jump had the same issue.

He’s only five off the lead, which is well within capability with his free.

Emdee

Yeah, he did what he needed to in the short. After the first jump I was a bit worried, but he kept going, even if the second jump had the same issue.

He’s only five off the lead, which is well within capability with his free.
Fingers crossed for him.

Emdee

He regrouped after that awful fall but limped off the ice. Hope he is not too badly injured.

Lessons learned and on to next year.

I find his PCS improving with each skate.

yurokis40

wins small bronze medal too bad the mistake on the axel cost him a medal oh well he was the youngest guy there although I am shaking my head what is that Italian guy doing on the podium.

yurokis40

he will dominate juniors next year no doubt, to bad they can't do quads in the short he's clearly hampered by that.

skatfan

His long program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FiuKQ12A4

They show his fall several time at the end so if you don't want to see it more than once be warned.

He is one tough kid. Stabs himself in the leg and finishes his routine. Looks calm enough coming off the ice that his coach casually asks him, "Are you ok?" Sure, no problem, just a gash in his leg, with who know what damage.

skatfan

Sooooo... thoughts on the coaching change?

I think it’s great. Temperamentally he’s a calm competitor and I think Raf will continue to give him great technique. The new skating center will have a ton of resources along with possible outside consulting with people like Frank Carroll.

Emdee

Is it confirmed that he is moving?
He could be just doing a summer course with Raf.

Colonel Green

Is it confirmed that he is moving?
Per IFS, yes.

Given that Lee is changing clubs, he'd be facing some sort of change regardless. Now, moving to California is certainly bigger than shuffling around in Toronto, but it sounds like his parents want him to have an absolute top-tier coach, and Raf certainly is that.

barbarafan

Per IFS, yes.

Given that Lee is changing clubs, he'd be facing some sort of change regardless. Now, moving to California is certainly bigger than shuffling around in Toronto, but it sounds like his parents want him to have an absolute top-tier coach, and Raf certainly is that.
I wonder what the sequence of events was. I do think Raf is a good coach however it is the other things I am concerned about. Brian cares more about the indiv. skater and has been super careful about monitoring his growing and limiting his jumping at dangerous times. He also guaranteed the parents that he would not retire until Stephen's competitive career was done. I would guess whatever transpired between Mom/Dad and Brian is not fixable if he is completely changing everything in their lives to do this. I no longer like or trust Raf since this debacle between the 16yr old Eunsoo Lin and the 24yr old Maria. Whatever transpired he acted like a little sh**it. I wonder if another country change is in the parent's plans.

Colonel Green

I wonder if another country change is in the parent's plans.
Huh?

Stephen never changed countries, per se, because he never competed for Russia. He trained in Russia while his family lived there, and had they stayed in Russia he presumably would have competed for them. They moved back to Canada (seemingly with intent to stay permanently), and so his competitive career was made here. Changes coaches is an ordinary part of the sport, not an indicator of a change in nationality (which would also mean he couldn't go to the 2022 Olympics, anyway).

skateboy

I no longer like or trust Raf since this debacle between the 16yr old Eunsoo Lin and the 24yr old Maria. Whatever transpired he acted like a little sh**it.

:confused: I'm not sure I understand you here. Regarding the slanderous, harmful accusations that Eunsoo's management came up with against Mariah, Raf pretty much shrugged it off as a non-issue (which it was).

barbarafan

Huh?

Stephen never changed countries, per se, because he never competed for Russia. He trained in Russia while his family lived there, and had they stayed in Russia he presumably would have competed for them. They moved back to Canada (seemingly with intent to stay permanently), and so his competitive career was made here. Changes coaches is an ordinary part of the sport, not an indicator of a change in nationality (which would also mean he couldn't go to the 2022 Olympics, anyway).
Huh?

Apparently parents were not enthralled with Russian figureskating way & was at least part of country change..Those posts go way back so can't reread. They wanted him to have a life outside of skating. His brother hockeys for Russia and Canada allows you dual citizenship so a change to Russia would be possible.I hope not but just saying could be a possibility.

Colonel Green

Apparently parents were not enthralled with Russian figureskating way & was at least part of country change..Those posts go way back so can't reread. They wanted him to have a life outside of skating. His brother hockeys for Russia and Canada allows you dual citizenship so a change to Russia would be possible.I hope not but just saying could be a possibility.
Why would him going to train in California mean he's switching to Russia?

What you're describing is possible in the sense that anything is possible, but there is zero reason to think that. Gogolev is extremely successful in Canada, and is on the fast-track to the 2022 Olympics. Switching countries would mean missing a whole season and disrupting his momentum; there's a reason successful skaters don't do that, generally.

barbarafan

Why would him going to train in California mean he's switching to Russia?

What you're describing is possible in the sense that anything is possible, but there is zero reason to think that. Gogolev is extremely successful in Canada, and is on the fast-track to the 2022 Olympics. Switching countries would mean missing a whole season and disrupting his momentum; there's a reason successful skaters don't do that, generally.
I didn't say it does mean that. Just that it would be a possibility. I hope he does not. As far as coaching...he has already been taught all the quads plus a triple axel with great technique and not training hard in the last 2 yrs as he is growing and this is a dangerous time. So as long as a coach knows his stuff at all he should be able to maintain his jumps. He learned them from 9 to 12yrs old. They may have to be tweaked as he grows. What he does need to build is his performance abilities so I am thrilled that he is working with Shae LYnne. As he matures a bit and muscles up his speed wich is good already will totally improve and all will be greatness. Rafael has been given a great gift and I hope he doesn't mess it up by causing injuries at this dangerous time.

Rafter

What? Unless there’s another brother, his brother Peter is a canoe-kayaker in Ontario:

http://www.ckosprint.ca/ontario-team.html

greenapple

Gogolev's brother does do not anything for Russia. He goes to school in Toronto and is soon to go to college - in Ontario.

Gogolev is not switching anything other than coaches.

barbarafan

What? Unless there’s another brother, his brother Peter is a canoe-kayaker in Ontario:

http://www.ckosprint.ca/ontario-team.html
Sorry...read the hockey business on this forum or on his fanpage on tumbler...those are the only places I read. And the hockey player had same basic bio....born in Russia plays hockey in Ontario..however on new wiki page his brother's name is Peter and he is a kayaker so I guess that is correct info......unless he later turns out to be a clown in Cirque du Soleil.

Sylvia

TBD
From Stephen's SOI bio: https://www.starsonice.ca/skater-detail.html?sid=108
Gogolev was born on December 22, 2004, in Toronto, Canada to Irina Gogoleva and Igor Gogolev. He has an older brother, Peter Gogolev, a competitive kayaker. Stephen holds dual Canadian and Russian citizenship.
ETA:

Stephen with Kurt Browning at the meet and greet after the Hamilton show: https://twitter.com/piaoakino/status/1124894687876173824

Hamilton show shot: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxFjNwfFWh9/

Last edited:

barbarafan

Gogolev's brother does do not anything for Russia. He goes to school in Toronto and is soon to go to college - in Ontario.

Gogolev is not switching anything other than coaches.
and training club, training city and training country.

skatfan

I wonder what the sequence of events was. I do think Raf is a good coach however it is the other things I am concerned about. Brian cares more about the indiv. skater and has been super careful about monitoring his growing and limiting his jumping at dangerous times. He also guaranteed the parents that he would not retire until Stephen's competitive career was done. I would guess whatever transpired between Mom/Dad and Brian is not fixable if he is completely changing everything in their lives to do this. I no longer like or trust Raf since this debacle between the 16yr old Eunsoo Lin and the 24yr old Maria. Whatever transpired he acted like a little sh**it. I wonder if another country change is in the parent's plans.

Like others I see no evidence of a switch at this point, although given the sad state of men’s singles in Russia I wouldn’t doubt there is interest.

Brian obviously burned bridges with his parents (maybe through bringing in Medvedeva and spending so much time with her and not their son?), and I sense this year’s coach was ok, but moving probably brought thinking through a longer strategy into play.

Raf has shown with Nathan he can develop a male skater through puberty to the World Championship and s’s trajectory is to peak after Nathan. Raf also proven with other guys that he can give mature skaters new life too.

As far as the Eun Soo issue - the management co that caused the stink never came forward with their promised “facts” so I know who I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information