Worlds 2024 Men FS: ‘Putting the Eh? in Standing Ovation’

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I know people loved that Jason was on the last Olympic team but this is where I worry we screwed Ilia. The entire narrative from Scott, Brian and Nathan is they needed the first Olympic experience to learn how to skate for gold in their second.

I understand why Jason was selected but I stand by my feeling that Ilia needs to worry about mental preparation just as much as the physical. Ilia said he has talked to Nathan before so I hope that mentorship continues. It could be very helpful.
That's what I said in 2022 and why I was so pissed at the USFS for choosing Jason instead. Ilia has been more inconsistent than Nathan and I do worry about how he will handle the Olympics, though he does seem to really rise to the occasion when he knows the level of competition he is facing.

flyingsit

I know people loved that Jason was on the last Olympic team but this is where I worry we screwed Ilia. The entire narrative from Scott, Brian and Nathan is they needed the first Olympic experience to learn how to skate for gold in their second.

I understand why Jason was selected but I stand by my feeling that Ilia needs to worry about mental preparation just as much as the physical. Ilia said he has talked to Nathan before so I hope that mentorship continues. It could be very helpful.
I just think Ilia's wired differently.

Debbie S

I just think Ilia's wired differently.
And Ilia has/will have more experience as a top contender at the World level than Nathan did in 2018. Nathan had only been to one Senior Worlds and - let's be honest - wasn't contending for a medal and wasn't in the same type of situation Ilia was in on Saturday.

Assuming no setbacks between now and then, Ilia will go into 2026 with 4 trips to Worlds with (at least) 1 gold. And more experience being the favorite and facing formidable challengers. Not to mention that his parents/coaches can draw on their own experience as Olympians to help him navigate the process.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I hope he withstands the NBC hype machine in the lead-up to the Olys because it's going to be even worse than Nathan.
My response to both of these concerns is: his parents. It seems to me that his parents have done a remarkable job of keeping their son grounded, and they are Olympians themselves, so I would expect that they'll be more than capable of helping with mental preparation.

Jammers

Ilia will be almost 3 years older then Nathan was in 2018 and will have had the whole 4 years of the Olympic cycle to be ready for 2026. Nathan only had half that amount of time and had only one chance to skate at Worlds before the 2018 Olympics so Ilia will be much more exprienced.

Karen-W

The constant changing of the short program layout was a big part of the story in 2018.
Well, it's not as though Ilia isn't establishing a reputation for changing his program on the fly or fiddling with his planned content during the season (4a in the SP at the GPF, anyone?). And both the ISU and NBC commentators were agog at that 4z+1eu+3f when it was listed in the planned content as 4z+1eu+3s. ;)

skatingguy

decently
Well, it's not as though Ilia isn't establishing a reputation for changing his program on the fly or fiddling with his planned content during the season (4a in the SP at the GPF, anyone?). And both the ISU and NBC commentators were agog at that 4z+1eu+3f when it was listed in the planned content as 4z+1eu+3s. ;)
Damn, I missed changing that in my play-by-play post.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Now that I've seen Malinin's program I'd say this:
He has the body of Yagudin, the jumps of Hanyu and the drive of Plushenko.

Kid's gonna get far.

ETA: I hope his next FS will be to "Game of Thrones". I want to see him as Jon Snow or Jaime Lannister.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But he's doing it as part of his coaching not in opposition to it (as Chen was).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Been rewatching mom Tatiana’s old skates. LOL Talent certainly runs deep in that family. I remember her competing.

I remember her too - I always enjoyed her programs, and some friends who volunteered at 2001 Worlds said she was lovely to all of the volunteers and venue staff (and they certainly didn't say that about every skater they met :lol: ).

She was also chosen by the ISU to demonstrate different moves in the first series of videos to educate judges, when the points-based judging system was introduced.

cailuj365

OMG, Ilia skating to Game of Thrones would actually be amazing and would be in keeping with the HBO theme. Someone get that kid an HBO subscription!!

Karen-W

OMG, Ilia skating to Game of Thrones would actually be amazing and would be in keeping with the HBO theme. Someone get that kid an HBO subscription!!
Ehhhhh... I'm not sure the GoT soundtracks work for skating. We have yet to see a program that really works to that music, IMO. Too many people know the story and the show, I think, for anyone, Ilia included, to be able to take the music from it and turn it into a good program.

cailuj365

Ehhhhh... I'm not sure the GoT soundtracks work for skating. We have yet to see a program that really works to that music, IMO. Too many people know the story and the show, I think, for anyone, Ilia included, to be able to take the music from it and turn it into a good program.

Eh, you're probably right, but I don't think it's because too many people know the story and show. The music is epic, but each track takes like 3-4 minutes to build and you just don't have that kind of time in FS. I'd love someone to try to put together a decent cut though. It could be great.

It'd also just be hilarious for him to skate to three HBO shows in a row without having seen any of them.

cailuj365

I hope he withstands the NBC hype machine in the lead-up to the Olys because it's going to be even worse than Nathan.

I think someone mentioned that NBC should make a commercial of Ilia and Jordan Stolz together, two blond 19-year-old world record skaters doing mystical things on the ice, and play it during the Paris Olympics. America would eat that up.

skatingguy

decently
I think someone mentioned that NBC should make a commercial of Ilia and Jordan Stolz together, two blond 19-year-old world record skaters doing mystical things on the ice, and play it during the Paris Olympics. America would eat that up.
NBC often does a montage of things to expect for the next Olympics at the end of an Olympic games, and given the accomplishments of both of these athletes they almost certainly will feature highly in the promotion of Milano-Cortina 2026.

skatingguy

decently
Proving that knowledge is sport-specific, I have no idea who he is.
Jordan Stolz is a 19 year-old speed skater. He's a World Champion in three different events, and World record-holder in the 1000 m.

This is from his Wikipedia article, which if accurate, will have NBC executives drooling at the prospect of putting this guy front in centre going into Milano-Cortina.

Stolz eats pizza every day before training. His favorite restaurants are Jimmy John's, Texas Roadhouse and The Fox & Hounds in his hometown of Kewaskum.[33] Stolz's hobbies outside of skating, include hunting, fishing and long camping trips to the remote Alaskan wilderness; the family travels to Alaska during the summer to fish halibut and salmon and hunt moose.[34][35]

And he looks like this.
images

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information