Word Games

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I love Wordle, possibly because they only let you play once a day, so it's like a fabulous piece of pastry rather than a whole bag of potato chips (how's that for a watch what you eat analogy).

Probably coincidentally, but ever since I started doing my daily Wordle, my NY Times Spelling Bee skills have vanished. I think I got one word in the past two weeks. Either I no longer have the patience for it or my brain cells have been affected by that daily piece of metaphoric pastry!

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I usually hate puzzles like this, but I've been enjoying Wordle, probably because it is limited in time, simple in concept and there's no big commercial website with a lot of distracting extras.

Susan1

For those of you who are viewers of Game Show Network , Wordle's very close cousin Lingo aired on the network from 2002-2007 and 2011.

I used to catch the reruns sometimes a couple years ago. Wasn't the first one Chuck Woolery? I liked that one better. I always wished they had an online game to play. That, and Chain Reaction, which has new ones on GSN.

love skating

Clueless American
I think the once a day format is what makes it work. It's fun and only takes a couple minutes at most. I was surprised a couple days ago when I got it on the third try cause I got zero letters right on the first guess, but then again knowing all the wrong letters gave me a lot of info to work with too. My best result is on the second try and though I've gone to the sixth line a couple times I haven't not solved one yet. Has anyone guessed it on the first try? I usually start with a word that has 3 or 4 of the famous Wheel of Fortune letters (RSTLN - the letters they give you in the bonus round cause they are the most common letters).

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I started making headway when someone pointed out you don't need to use the letter you found. I usually start with 2 words covering 10 different letters, unless I get enough to work with in the first word. I have a hard time not just changing ONE letter otherwise, my brain want rhyme. (light, sight, etc)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am completely, totally, and absolutely addicted to Mobility Wear's Solitaire. Really. All the time. Great for the bathroom.....the bedroom any place you have to wait (like the Drs.) even getting gas.

Is there a twelve-step program for this?

Shoot - I can't find the word game I like. It consisted of a square with perhaps 80 letters in it. Your job was to fine words by connecting the letters in a way that makes a word. Now I am bummed.

Last edited:

Susan1

I am also employing Wheel of Fortune tactics, and they're serving me well :)
Yeah, I was bummed after the first word that there wasn't going to be an S in it because my mind kept going to the plurals of 4 letter words.

And I didn't get it at all today. I said it was beginner's luck yesterday.

Question - is it the same word for everybody each day?

Last edited:

Cachoo

I picked the right first word today and got it on the second try. That never happened before and I must say it is something of a let down because the game is over so fast.

Japanfan

I used to love playing Password. We played it all the time at the family cottage.

Haven't played it for years, and miss it.

missing

Yeah, I was bummed after the first word that there wasn't going to be an S in it because my mind kept going to the plurals of 4 letter words.

And I didn't get it at all today. I said it was beginner's luck yesterday.

Question - is it the same word for everybody each day?
Because everyone plays the same game, the etiquette is not to reveal any of the letters you use, just to state if it was hard or easy or how many rows it took you or if you failed to guess the word. Everyone in the world is with you all day.

From my brief experience and from those evil archival games Tony led me to, I don't think plurals or past tenses are used for the final word. And I think there's a preference for nouns over verbs (although I haven't done enough to be sure of that). In the now classic favor/favour battle, American spellings are used, but another word last week was one Americans don't tend to use a lot.

I got it in 3 today, even though I used the letter Susan1 warned me against!

Susan1

Because everyone plays the same game, the etiquette is not to reveal any of the letters you use, just to state if it was hard or easy or how many rows it took you or if you failed to guess the word. Everyone in the world is with you all day.

From my brief experience and from those evil archival games Tony led me to, I don't think plurals or past tenses are used for the final word. And I think there's a preference for nouns over verbs (although I haven't done enough to be sure of that). In the now classic favor/favour battle, American spellings are used, but another word last week was one Americans don't tend to use a lot.

I got it in 3 today, even though I used the letter Susan1 warned me against!
I was talking about YESTERDAY's word not having an S since it was YESTERDAY's word and there was a new word today. I just didn't know if everyone got the same word YESTERDAY. YESTERDAY, I said I got the word on the fourth line. TODAY, I did not get it right at all.

missing

I was talking about YESTERDAY's word not having an S since it was YESTERDAY's word and there was a new word today. I just didn't know if everyone got the same word YESTERDAY. YESTERDAY, I said I got the word on the fourth line. TODAY, I did not get it right at all.
I'm sorry I misunderstood.

Susan1

I'm sorry I misunderstood.
okey dokey. I was just adding to the idea of the Wheel of Fortune RSTLN thing. You said you used the S even though I said there wasn't one (just wrong day). I imagine a lot of people start out with words using that formula. I just couldn't get plural words out of my head even though I knew there was no S. Back in the day, Wheel of Fortune didn't give people those letters for the bonus round. And I remember way back when the winner of each round got to shop.

nlloyd

Broke my streak of getting it in three rows and had to use an extra row today. I was too lazy in my second row: I didn't feel like thinking very hard.

text_skate

Broke my streak of getting it in three rows and had to use an extra row today. I was too lazy in my second row: I didn't feel like thinking very hard.
I've played for the first time last night, just before bedtime (I've stumbled across this thread). I was very proud, to get it in the fourth row.
:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information