Why all of the mid-routine costume changes?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think you need to stick with the ballet if you’re concerned with skating attempting to catch up to the times. And we were seeing different genres of music coming into skating in the early 70’s, if not earlier (where there are hardly any videos).

To be fair, Jutta Mueller has had trouble trying to offload her Chitty Chitty Bang Bang original soundtrack LP ever since the wall came down in 1989.

LoopCombo

I don’t understand why a sport where the athletes compete in sequins, crystals, feathers, ruffles, tights, sparkles, and fake flesh would decide: let’s draw the line at costume changes. Why is it tacky and over the top to change the costume, but not tacky and over the top to wear costumes in the first place? I love that figure skating has costumes, and especially costume changes that are stunning like Shcherbakova’s are just downright beautiful, so why not? Also, even Trusova’s subtle costume change in her SP (I say subtle because my husband did not even notice it) does fit the theme and music of her program: she is skating to Peer Gynt and the program starts with Solveig’s Song — Solveig is a kind and pure young woman who loves and waits for the main character, Peer. Then the music transitions to In the Hall of the Mountain King, which is about the trolls and their king who live inside the mountain. The troll king has a daughter, who acts as a foil to Solveig, and seduces Peer. During the troll music section, Trusova’s dress changes from white (purity, sweetness) to black (let’s say this represents energy and badassary). Personally, I think that program concept works well for Trusova: she even has those hilarious steps where she sort of flaps large wings or something in the menacing, troll section. She’s just playing two characters, and the costume helps illustrate this. It actually juxtaposes the feminine artistry and animal energy of figure skating by personifying both, so I think it is quite clever. Is it necessary? Heck no, but is fake flesh, feathers, sparkles etc. any more necessary or offensive?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Debi Thomas' iconic James Bond artistic program at the now defunct World Pro competition in the late 1980s had 3 costume changes. The James Bond theme and the costume changes were widely emulated.

Costume changes can be fun, quirky, or off-putting. Z/E's mid-program costume change unfortunately was almost as boring and beside-the-point as their skating can be/ has been, at least to this point.

To a degree, these current mid-program costume changes may be a gnarly indicator of the bells and whistles effect that has been taking over the competitive realm. Figure skating is kinda in the netherworld region of trying to figure out its identity and its destiny.

But there's no reason to get too overexcited about these fluff asides. Shcherbakova's costume change was rather clever and unexpected. But now we are looking for it and so it's no longer unexpected. It's nothing to get overly antsy about, unless an unexpected costume mishap occurs that actually impacts the scoring outcome, as happened to P/C at the 2018 Olympics. Let's face it, they weren't trying for any costume drama either. :(

So the best takeaways are: Make sure your costumes are competition-ready at all times; and Costume changes can be fun and an entertaining diversion. Eteri seems to be all about finding diversionary bells and whistles to camouflage her skaters' immaturity, and to complement their multiple rotations. Mostly, the actual talents of her young skaters don't need any extra bells and whistles, albeit in some cases, her skaters need to improve SS, speed, and jump technique.

Last edited:

skatfan

Ban the costume changes in a serious sport, I say! And while we’re at it, ban lyrics once again...especially sappy female ballads (Amber Glenn sort of stuff). All of this is ok for exhibitions or pro show skating. Harrumph!

I guess you get to sit on Grumpy mountain for a long time because that stuff ain’t happening. ;)

skatfan

I wish that we would enter a “Stop pandering to the masses for higher ratings” zone! How about elegance and dignity, to heck with ratings. This used to be a beautifully ELEGANT and CLASSICAL-MUSIC-FOCUSED sport.

I don’t think it’s higher ratings, it’s the actual survival of the sport. But rant on, boomer. (Note: I am a boomer too.)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
especially sappy female ballads (Amber Glenn sort of stuff)

LOL....I AGREE, but Amber Glenn's are the only ones I like.

You should rephrase that to say ban all Lana Del Rey stuff.

tee-hee

(And all pairs programs with lyrics,.. they mostly have all been depressing and channel-flipping worthy) tee-hee #2

I wasnt gonna bite on the costume change stuff but since Im already here, Paul Poirier and Laurine's made sense and I quite liked them. Others not so much. Anna seems junior-ish with hers. And I wish judges would not award high PCS to skaters straight outta juniors. No matter the dealio. Most have no speed in and out of jumps and no life experiences to make me feel any emotion with their interpretation. Rock on Amber Glenn... I feel all dem "scars" you are skating to in the SP.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I wasnt gonna bite on the costume change stuff but since Im already here, Paul Poirier and Laurine's made sense and I quite liked them. Others not so much. Anna seems junior-ish with hers. And I wish judges would not award high PCS to skaters straight outta juniors. No matter the dealio. Most have no speed in and out of jumps and no life experiences to make me feel any emotion with their interpretation.

But there are junior into senior skaters that already have the fundamentals AND they understand the other part of the sport- listening to the music, expressing it, etc. Age shouldn't matter at all in that respect. There are senior skaters that have been around 10+ years that still skate right through the music and haven't really improved all that much. It shouldn't be about 'paying your dues' to get scores.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

But there are junior into senior skaters that already have the fundamentals AND they understand the other part of the sport- listening to the music, expressing it, etc. Age shouldn't matter at all in that respect. There are senior skaters that have been around 10+ years that still skate right through the music and haven't really improved all that much. It shouldn't be about 'paying your dues' to get scores.

Anna doesn't make me feel anything of Firebird. Like, nothing. Zero. OTOH Amber Glenn made me feel everything of Scars. Her Interpretation and Choreography should be the highest. Just because some skaters can land difficult jumps doesn't translate into making me feel whatever they are skating to.. With Trusova Im not even sure what story she is telling.

To be fair I dont think Alysa Liu should score high here either.

Skating skills, fine. Maybe. Small jumps with no flow out though shouldn't IMO score that high. I would have Satoko, Zag, Medev, Bell and others with lower GOE as well, and jumps from those like Osmond, Daleman and Boyang Jin very high..... (Fast jumps, quite high, huge distance, with speed on the flow out). Thats a +3, +4, +5! Those should factor in for higher skating skills too.

Amber Glenn skates with so much power and speed (like Osmond and Daleman and Sakamoto) while Anna, Zag and others go slow. I think this should factor in to skating skills well like it did for Caroline Zhang.

Oh Dear, I have a done a topic drift. lol. Told y'all I wasnt planning on posting in this thread.lol

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, I say, if we're gonna get a costume change, let's combine it with more wildly inappropriate music for junior-level and just-up-from-juniors ladies. I want to see something inspired by THIS next season, ladies!!!!

Japanfan

Skaters are limited in what they can do creatively. Costumes are creative, and if a costume change works for a program - why not?

aftershocks

Banned Member
I get the feeling that the songs Amber Glenn has been skating to speak to her in some way about heartache over her breakup with Nathan a couple of years ago. Young emotions can really run high regarding relationship drama and splits. Surely by now, she's moved on. But maybe she really relates to these songs. Hopefully, she will soon decide to find new themes to skate to that portray her unique strengths and that celebrate coming into her own as a young lady who has a wonderful life ahead of her and everything to be happy about in forging her own unique identity.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Thanks for the posts so far. I was also wondering why most of these costume changes seem to happen with skaters from just a handful of countries...namely France and Russia? Why don’t we ever see them from North Americans? (EDITING - Just saw Screech’s post with Poirier’s mambo-sleeves reveal, LOL!) I was about to also write “Japan” but remember that one of their recent dance teams had a costume transformation with a dress turning into cherry blossoms...or am I dreaming?

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Thanks for the posts so far. I was also wondering why most of these costume changes seem to happen with skaters from just a handful of countries...namely France and Russia? Why don’t we ever see them from North Americans? (EDITING - Just saw Screech’s post with Poirier’s mambo-sleeves reveal, LOL!) I was about to also write “Japan” but remember that one of their recent dance teams had a costume transformation with a dress turning into cherry blossoms...or am I dreaming?

I am also wondering why "issues" as such and others are raised when "russian girls" start doing something.... I don't recall an issue of "costume change" being raised before, other than excitement and praises "how fun it is" when "others" do it...... ;)

I see even local California and other US girls playing with costume changes, it's just that these have not yet made it to international events.

Muramoto & Reed (Japan) had a costume change, just like Trus and Shcher, same technique.

Delobel & Schoenfelder (Fra) had a blunt, stop-on-the-ice-and-pull-it-down costume change.... :lol:
https://youtu.be/BKYe_qMnbPo?t=8211
Her costume change is @ 2:16.48

Pechalat & Bourzat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk1nskh27gc

she even pulled out an "object" in a Flamenco programme....

My take on costume change:
  • if one is below top 10 on international level - costume change is a gimmick.
  • if one is in top 5 (even 10), let alone those who are constantly win medals - it's an additional plus, a cherry on the cake.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I am also wondering why "issues" as such and others are raised when "russian girls" start doing something.... I don't recall an issue of "costume change" being raised before, other than excitement and praises "how fun it is" when "others" do it...... ;)

I see even local California and other US girls playing with costume changes, it's just that these have not yet made it to international events.

Muramoto & Reed (Japan) had a costume change, just like Trus and Shcher, same technique.

Delobel & Schoenfelder (Fra) had a blunt, stop-on-the-ice-and-pull-it-down costume change.... :lol:
https://youtu.be/BKYe_qMnbPo?t=8211
Her costume change is @ 2:16.48

Pechalat & Bourzat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk1nskh27gc

she even pulled out an "object" in a Flamenco programme....

My take on costume change:
  • if one is below top 10 on international level - costume change is a gimmick.
  • if one is in top 5 (even 10), let alone those who are constantly win medals - it's an additional plus, a cherry on the cake.

Thanks!!! A real eye opener. So it’s been done even here in the USA. Perhaps we’ll see it at our upcoming Nationals, in the senior level?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The Frozen Couture one is an Australian costume designer and skater. I judged that program :)

all_empty

IJS has hobbled singles and pairs of so much individuality and originality, I'm all for skaters who offer something a little bit different.

Drag race could provide some inspiration as well. Some of the contestant's 'RuVeals' are mind-blowing.

This article talks about that very subject: "Drag Race" and skating ru-veals!

A hair change probably wouldn't be permitted in competition; a wig is definitely a prop and any part of the costume that hits the floor is a deduction so there's a double whammy there.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A hair change probably wouldn't be permitted in competition; a wig is definitely a prop and any part of the costume that hits the floor is a deduction so there's a double whammy there.

I'm reminded of when Isabelle & Paul Duchesnay included props in their original set pattern at the 1989 World Championships. Isabelle carried a feather boa and Paul wore a straw boater. Props were specifically against the rules, but given that their choreographer was Christopher Dean, his status gave them a little more pull than they would normally have received.

Unfortunately, Paul dropped his hat mid performance, which may have cost them some precious points.

antmanb

Think of costume changes like attention seeking - you might start to feel more affinity towards them.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Think of costume changes like attention seeking - you might start to feel more affinity towards them.

I went to college with a girl who was obsessed with her long hair. On any given day, she would change styles at least six or seven times. I was fascinated by her process.

gkelly

Sometimes a bun accidentally becomes a ponytail midprogram when a scrunchie or whatever that was holding it in place falls off.

It would probably be possible to plan for such a change in a way that doesn't drop anything on the ice.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oh Dear!

Im still a sucker for elegant dresses with sleeves ala Nicole Bobek, Dr Zhivago, Or Bradie's current SP dress

OR elegant dresses with longer, flowier skirts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information