Which 3 American Ladies go to The Olympics?

Which 3 American Ladies go to The Olympics? Make your prediction!

• Total voters

Dobre

Yes, but the USFSA has made it clear that placements at Nationals are no longer a guarantee of being named to an Olympic or World team (unfortunately, IMO). If someone has a terrific season but ends up 4th or lower at Nationals, I think there's every reason to believe that skater will replace one that happens to peak at Nats.

Yes, but body of work should now be inclusive. Karen's 4th place at Worlds. Mirai's medal at 4CCs. Ashley's finish at Worlds and WTT. And performances at Nationals. JGP performances, Challengers, & Senior Bs. These should all be taken into account. My response to your argument was that it won't have "everything to do with the GP." The GP will have something to do with it.

moebius

What if Ashley places 4th at Nationals and Mirai 3rd again? I hope Ashley doesn't bump Mirai off the Olympic team. That would really suck for Mirai.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
What if Ashley places 4th at Nationals and Mirai 3rd again? I hope Ashley doesn't bump Mirai off the Olympic team. That would really suck for Mirai.

If Mirai has another rocky GP season, that's exactly what would happen. :( Again. I'm hoping they'll be 1st and 2nd though, to make everything right in the universe again.

They've been working at this for over 10 years, and it's probably Mirai and Ashley's last Olympic season. I'd like to think they'll both have one of their best-ever seasons. If they both had a great 2nd Olympic Games together, there'd be nothing but warm fuzzies all around.

Mirai bumped Ashley in 2010, Ashley bumped Mirai in 2014, both of them in 2018? It would be nice IMO.

Last edited:

kwanatic

For sure... but then in '14 up till and at Nationals I was like "Who is Polina?"

If you weren't paying attention to the JGP that year (like most people weren't), the question was "who is Polina?" But if you paid attention she'd won both of her events on the JGP (tying Medvedeva in JGP points) and missed the podium at the Final behind Medvedeva by less than 2 points. She was definitely on the radar to keep an eye on that year at nationals due to her success on the JGP. She was unknown on the senior level but Polina came in with accolades attached to her name. Additionally she came out and skated extremely well which made it impossible to ignore her.

The question is will we see something like that this year? There haven't been any stand outs for the US girls on the JGP for quite a while. I was hoping to see Pierce or Glenn really make a mark but it never happened. Vivian Le got bronze at two events last year and I think there's potential there too...but I don't think she'll be ready in time for Pyeongchang.

It's really tough to tell with our women. I feel like Ashley deserves to go more than anyone but I also know Ashley's jumps aren't getting any better. Karen is a total package skater except she's ridiculously unreliable. Gracie has (and has had) the green light to be the best in the world for years but she has not managed to seize the moment and at this time no one knows what to expect from her. Polina is usually very reliable but she's been away from competition for a while. Mariah has all of the makings of a star but is another one who can't seem to be consistent in her performances. Mirai is a sentimental favorite for most but she has to prove that she can deliver more than once or twice a season. I love Caroline to death and am very proud of her 5th place finish last year; however, and I'm sorry to be blunt, the fact she came in 5th is a testament to the weakness of the field at last year's competition.

Based off of this past season, the team would be Ashley, Karen and a toss up between Mariah or Mirai. That will change next year. I'm really hoping to see all of the US women come out on fire on the GP. Only after the GP will we have any idea what to expect.

Dobre

Vivian Le got bronze at two events last year and I think there's potential there too...but I don't think she'll be ready in time for Pyeongchang.

I wouldn't expect it. She was still trying to master two jumps and then lost last season due to injury. But to give her credit, she won those two bronze medals by practically tying Marin Honda & besting Mai Mihara in the short program. Not too shabby.

kwanatic

Not shabby at all! :) I was really impressed with the power of her jumps. Her overall skating needed work but there was a lot of wow! in her jumps.

Another US skater who briefly caught my eye last season was Gabrielle Noulett. She has lovely jumps (when she lands them), beautiful extension and strong spins.

I'm crossing my fingers to see the next generation of US skaters emerge. There are a number of decent skaters in the field but none of them look as though they will make a mark internationally.

Bellanca

It's really tough to tell with our women. I feel like Ashley deserves to go more than anyone but I also know Ashley's jumps aren't getting any better.
I agree, @kwanatic that it is really tough to tell with our women and difficult to see how it will all shake out. However, I’m not so sure that any one skater deserves to go the Olympics (no matter what) based solely on their most recent (quad) track record - up to this point. Especially if they have a train wreck of a season leading up to the Olympic Games, understanding, of course, the importance of rep and experience, etc., and not to suggest that AW or any particular skater will have that kind of a season. But, let's entertain, for example, that Tyler Pierce has a successful comeback and a great season leading up to the Olympics and is on the National podium. Obviously, she should go. I’m not for bumping her (or any skater) off an Olympic team for someone who had strong competitions 1 or 2 seasons ago, but fell (or might fall) short this season, and particularly at Nationals, but I’m old school on this, so, I do think timing and peaking are critical. This can happen at Nationals and occasionally does. Of course, this is a rehash discussion and has lived its shelf life, so for that, I apologize.

One final thought: A skater’s body of work, résumé, sponsors and/or endorsements should not cloud the vision or judgment of team selection to the extent that it can … and has. JMHO.

kwanatic

^^I agree 100%.

I guess I feel like Ashley deserves to go b/c she's the one who has kept the US women on the world stage consistently, more so than any other skater in the field. However, Ashley lost a lot of ground technically last year. Her highest international TES score was only 62.40 (at WTT). To be competitive in the top 5 in a stacked field, you need to get at least 70+ points in TES. Mirai got pretty close at 4CC with 69+. That's the kind of technical power needed to compete for a podium spot.

Ashley is penciled in for a spot right now but I don't think her name (or any US skater's name) is etched in stone at this point. She is going to need to earn that ticket just like everyone else.

kwanatic

I don't know. It would depend on how her GP season went as well as who placed ahead of her.

Last time when Ashley was placed on the team she'd finished 1st and 2nd at her GP events and medaled at the Final. It was obvious her implosion at nationals was a one-off thing b/c she'd been strong all season long. Now assuming she has another GP season like she did this year where she doesn't perform that well and then only manages a 4th place finish at nationals, I don't think she'd have as strong of a case to be put on the team. Especially if it's over someone who had a solid season and also delivered at nationals.

Like I said Ashley is going to need to earn her ticket just like everyone else. She wasn't great this season which means she needs to come back stronger next season to solidify her position and spot on the team.

Dobre

Ashley is at SC and SA. Very little travel. Two events she has won before and competed at multiple times. The fields in all the ladies events this year are competitive, but with the exception of Miyahara at SA, the rosters at SA & SC are also pretty volatile. I can't think of a better scenario for Ashley on the GP. She is an early season skater. It has been her strength as long as I recall watching her in senior competition.

Mirai & Mariah have the tougher road to travel, Russia + NHK, both events with Medvedeva & Kostner (who has always been a slow starter, however) + Miyahara at home at NHK and Radionova at home in Russia.

If Anna & the Canadian ladies come out strong, then it will be more of a challenge. But, still, I think it's about the best possible draw for Ashley.

The question, pretty much every season, is where will things lie when everyone else hits their stride.

Last edited:

kwanatic

The fields in all the ladies events this year are competitive, but with the exception of Miyahara at SA, the rosters at SA & SC are also pretty volatile. I can't think of a better scenario for Ashley on the GP. .

Very true. At both events the field is full of high potential question marks.

Out of the list of main contenders at SC (Osmond, Pogorilaya, Honda, Sotskova, Chen, Wagner) Ashley is the weakest technically. However, she could beat everyone but Osmond in PCS which means if she can deliver the TES she'll have an edge over just about everyone. If Osmond is shaky, Ashley would have a good shot at winning.

SA is another matter. Miyahara and Daleman are pretty steady. I feel like SA might be a bit tougher for Ashley to win but if she puts out her best she could definitely medal.

None of the US women will have it easy next season. It's going to be interesting to see how they respond...

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Very true. At both events the field is full of high potential question marks.

Out of the list of main contenders at SC (Osmond, Pogorilaya, Honda, Sotskova, Chen, Wagner) Ashley is the weakest technically. However, she could beat everyone but Osmond in PCS which means if she can deliver the TES she'll have an edge over just about everyone. If Osmond is shaky, Ashley would have a good shot at winning.

SA is another matter. Miyahara and Daleman are pretty steady. I feel like SA might be a bit tougher for Ashley to win but if she puts out her best she could definitely medal.

None of the US women will have it easy next season. It's going to be interesting to see how they respond...

Yup, Ladies is so competitive this year.. I can not wait for the slaying to begin.

Very curious to see how Pogo rebounds..... She could win or tank.

I think CoC is the toughest by a hair. Gold is gonna have to be in prime shape.

Also will be interesting to see how the senior newbies do...

Marco

I want Ashley, Karen, Mariah, but if Gracie and Mirai skate well, then I would support them too.

leafygreens

Mirai bumped Ashley in 2010, Ashley bumped Mirai in 2014, both of them in 2018? It would be nice IMO.

I feel that Mirai earned her spot legitimately by placing 2nd, and did not bump anyone. There was no 11th hour hail mary to invoke Body of Work and get a specific person on the team in 2010. It was a simpler time when nationals actually counted.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Miss Polina Edmunds!

USA women's skating desperately missed her CLASS this season. Hypersexualized programs from Wagner (also Rippon) were ridiculous and embarrassing. This is supposed to be art,not amateur dance-off at the local gay disco.

-BB

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I feel that Mirai earned her spot legitimately by placing 2nd, and did not bump anyone. There was no 11th hour hail mary to invoke Body of Work and get a specific person on the team in 2010. It was a simpler time when nationals actually counted.

I wasn't implying that Mirai didn't deserve the spot in 2010, I would've had Mirai as the National champ that year. (I still don't understand Flatt winning, but whatever) My point was just that Ashley was devestated being 3rd and bumped in 2010, not that she deserved to go over Mirai. (she didn't, but in 2014 she did.)

Send em' both this time! :mitchell:

NatashaE

Skate America is the last event in the GP season this year though. So might not fit into Ashley's early season style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information