What would Brian Boitano do?

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpts:
I used to skate six hours a day and now it’s about an hour, two days a week. So I try to diversify more now, and biking is much friendlier to my knees. And that’s when I get in my zone and get kind of euphoric, I can push it hard with no repercussions, and not having to worry about how things are hurting. There are very few things like that. I am struggling with my knees, they are getting tired. I even stopped doing yoga classes, because I was sitting out of half of the moves.
And when I’m skating, I try to do less jumping and impacting, and more spinning and focusing on the more aerobic side of it. But I can’t think of a better allover workout than figure skating, it just does everything, so I keep wanting to do it.
When I was eight years old, I saw my first glamorous ice show and I knew it was a calling. I thought, ‘This is what I want to do for the rest of my life.’ So I’m now trying to stay healthy enough to do it for the rest of my life.
I was never the athlete that would go in the direction that the other people went. I always had my own mind and I wanted to do things differently, and I think that that’s helped me going into other businesses.
I got my Food Network show, and then consequently HGTV saw the show and I did something with them. So I got into this lifestyle area, and it’s part of the fabric of my life now and has become pretty much my focus. When things present themselves to me that are different and outside of the box, I run with it.
I do keynote speeches that talk about pivoting from one job to the next using the tools that I’ve learned from sports to help you set goals and accomplish them. In business and in life, my anchor has been something I refer to as my toolbox, which is filled with the tools or skills that I developed in skating. These tools have carried me through my various career changes as I have pivoted from skating to food and lifestyle shows to opening bars and lounges. Some of the tools in my toolbox are passion, work ethic, toughness, resilience, pursuit of excellence and bringing energy to the moment.

Sylvia

TBD
Boitano is featured today (June 8) in this USFS Centennial Celebration series article by @Jayar:
Excerpt:
Boitano remains connected to the entertainment industry and has several exciting projects in the works. Most notably, he is beginning work as a co-executive producer on a film that is in pre-production. Though he is tight-lipped about the specifics of the film, Boitano was able to reveal some of the basic details.
“It’s going to take up my next year and a half to two years, and I think that it will be really great for figure skating—obviously it is a figure skating movie,” he shared.
Boitano will work with his friends Charles Randolph-Wright, who was director of Motown the Musical, and Deborah Martin Chase who is an Executive Producer for the TV show The Equalizer with Queen Latifah, on the film.
“About 14 years ago Charles and I came up with this concept, and he had a meeting and pitched this story randomly and they liked it. We’ve been working on it ever since,” he said. “I am sort of a creator, executive producer, and choreographer on the film. I have my fingers in every aspect of it. We have been through many script rewrites and have the final rewrites coming up, so it’s a very exciting time.”

Sylvia

TBD
The film project (refer to post #62 above) has been announced:
Excerpts:
Charles Randolph-Wright, Debra Martin Chase and Olympic gold medalist Brian Boitano have teamed to produce the Netflix family movie “Take the Ice,” set in the world of synchronized ice skating.
Written by Deborah Swisher, “Take the Ice” follows a rebellious 15-year-old named Tisha Moore, who has dreamed of becoming an ice skater her entire life. According to the film’s logline, however, the closest the Black girl from Brooklyn has come is dazzling people with her roller skating routines while busking in the park. When Tisha gets the opportunity to join a local synchronized ice skating team, she is forced to come to terms with the root of her rebellious ways and must learn to trust others to achieve her dream of shining on the ice.
In a statement announcing the project, Randolph-Wright said: “Years ago Brian Boitano and I were discussing the lack of ice skaters of color. We decided to create a film that would give inspiration and permission to take the ice to young athletes of color.”
“My dream is that years from now we will be watching television and hear from an Olympian that this film opened the door that they never imagined they could enter,” added the filmmaker, who will direct the classic Alice Childress play “Trouble in Mind” on Broadway this fall.
In addition to producing the film, Boitano — who won the gold medal at the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, and also represented the U.S. in 1984 and 1994 — will also handle the movie’s choreography. An open casting call for the film’s teen skaters is now underway.
“I am excited to be a part of a movie that will bring attention to the sport of synchronized skating,” Boitano said. “I also hope that kids and teens, who don’t typically see themselves represented in the traditional skating world, will be inspired to pursue their dreams.”

Sylvia

TBD
USA Today article By Karen Rosen (Dec. 14, 2021):
Excerpts:
When Boitano glided into a career as a cook, naturally his Food Network TV series was called “What would Brian Boitano Make?”
He’s still exercising his creativity in the kitchen and the bar. There are plans for two more boutique Kindler Hotels in Kansas City, Missouri, and Baltimore, each with a Boitano’s Lounge that will use locally inspired ingredients.
Currently, some of his favorite dishes are Italian chicken sliders with tomato jam and braised Hawaiian pork shoulder sliders.
Yet while Boitano has concocted dozens of drinks, he has yet to develop an elixir of youth.
“I’m always trying to discover different things to help me stave off aging,” said Boitano, who celebrated his 58th birthday in October.
Boitano still skates two days a week for about an hour – a reduction from the hour and 45 minutes he spent on the ice pre-pandemic – but he doesn’t do much jumping.
“I can do doubles,” Boitano said, “but it hurts my knees. It hurts my back. I’m like, ‘Is it really worth it?’ I spin and do footwork and do drills on crossovers and just keep up my skating. I’m trying to hold on as long as I can. It’s something I’ve loved since I was a child and I haven’t lost that passion for it. I’ve just lost the possibilities of doing more technically.”

Sylvia

TBD
Home for the Holidays Two (oops) Three (in headline is correct)-Time Olympian Brian Boitano (Dec. 16):
Every year for 29 years Brian has hosted a Holiday Party at Yerba Buena Ice Rink in San Francisco. The 500 invitees are asked to show up with a toy for kids in need. His nonprofit, Youth Skate, also provides an opportunity for kids to ice skate, most for the very first time. Some 10,000 kids have participated in the Youth Skate program in partnership with the San Francisco Unified School District.
It’s not lost on Brian how crucial this is.
“I love giving ack, and doing things for community,” he told me for the San Francisco Bay Times. “Seeing a kid skate for the first time is incredibly special. For a little while they have the chance to escape and leave their worries and their cell phone behind,” he added with a smile.
A champ as well behind the bar, Brian makes medal-worthy cocktails. Several appear on the bar menu at Boitano’s Lounge in Lincoln, Nebraska ( https://tinyurl.com/3snt638u ). As reviewers at Yelp write, the drinks are “outstanding,” “well designed,” and just plain “great.” Seriously, Boitano’s Lounge is worth the trip to the Cornhusker State. (Editor’s Note: Members of our team have stopped there during cross-country drives, and loved it. The skyscapes of Nebraska are epic, and the locals have been incredibly welcoming and friendly.)
Brian shared a tasty and creative seasonal cocktail recipe with the San Francisco Bay Times called “Hello Gord-geous.”
“The cocktail has sugar, cinnamon sticks, ground ginger, nutmeg, cloves, canned pumpkin, lemon juice with chocolate bitters, and reposado tequila,” he said. “It’s Christmas in your mouth.”

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Home for the Holidays with Two-Time Olympian Brian Boitano (Dec. 16):
Three! Did you forget 1994? ;)

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
"Truly is one of my favorite programs to perform even though I only did it a couple times in front of an audience." - part 1: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clg4eGdKSFA/
Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cll_wBgpXzA/

"Yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of our skating party [at the Yerba Buena rink] to raise toys for the @sffdtoyprogram [SF Firefighters Toy Program]. Over the last 30 years, we’ve raised thousands and thousands of toys for kids. I want to thank all of my friends for always participating and having a good time." https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmUk35-qQdD/

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just saw this thread for the first time, nice!

Boitano has always been one of my very favorite social media follows. Skating, skaters, gorgeous food, pretty cocktails, and fun travel posts. He hits all the key points. :)
He really is fun to follow on his social media. Loves a negroni. And he just skates for the fun of it.

Reactions: AYS

Sylvia

TBD
Boitano’s latest cocktail video is for Orser (currently recovering from hip replacement surgery): https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cw8FNSAJ33A/

Orser's reply :):
You are the best. Can you write the ingredients for me? You’re so fast…. Can’t keep up. I’m recovering so well. New procedures now. No muscle or tendons. So easy.
Boitano's reply to Orser:

@brianorser glad to hear it

1.5 oz fresh blueberries
.5 oz fresh lemon
.5 oz simple syrup
1.5 oz riposado tequila
.5 oz amaro, I use Ramazotti
lemon peel for garnish

Muddle first three ingredients together in a cocktail shaker. add the last two ingredients with ice and shake. double strain into a rocks glass filled with ice garnish with lemon peel

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information