What song are you listening to?

aliceanne

I fell down the youtube rabbit hole and found myself watching American Bandstand from the early 1960’s. I remembered this song (it was a huge hit even though it was sung in Japanese). I saw from the comments it is still popular in video games and movie soundtracks. Here is a version with English subtitles.

Cachoo

I fell down the youtube rabbit hole and found myself watching American Bandstand from the early 1960’s. I remembered this song (it was a huge hit even though it was sung in Japanese). I saw from the comments it is still popular in video games and movie soundtracks. Here is a version with English subtitles.

In the 50's, when the show was still in Philly my father would go on from time to time. He liked to dance and wanted to meet girls: I look at it now and they seemed very buttoned up then compared to now. I'm not sure what I think about that. So right at the moment looking at old footage of the "girl's choice" dance to Nat King Cole's "Christmas Song":
https://youtu.be/fXtJHTi9coo

aliceanne

In the 50's, when the show was still in Philly my father would go on from time to time. He liked to dance and wanted to meet girls: I look at it now and they seemed very buttoned up then compared to now. I'm not sure what I think about that. So right at the moment looking at old footage of the "girl's choice" dance to Nat King Cole's "Christmas Song":
https://youtu.be/fXtJHTi9coo

Kids in the 50’s had to grow up faster. A lot of them went straight to work after high school and many married.

I don’t know what to think about it either. They had fewer choices, but in some ways it was easier to get on with life.

Susan1

Did anybody watch this show? I loved it.
Down at the bottom - the real singers who played the 60s singers who appeared on Bandstand.

I remember my friend's older sister always watching American Bandstand on Saturday afternoons, would have been in the late 60s. It wasn't one of those things we were into, though I know I saw a bunch of them then and in reruns and clips later. For some reason I remember Elton John and Kiki Dee singing Don't Go Breaking My Heart and that would have been in the 70's, when I just watched it for Elton John. And then my mom and I left to go shopping. (Weird how my mind works.)

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
@PeterG, thank you so much for sharing that. It is a powerful song, and Mickey Guyton has such a beautiful voice.

I've been having sort a hard time lately. I've had a hard time dealing with the death of my stepmom, and probably will for a long time. I posted back in March about my stepmom dying from Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed with it March of 2017, and it progressed so fast.

My stepmom (Sue) was much younger than my dad, but they shared so much in common. She had lost her husband in 1985, and she lost her 14 year old son in 1986. He had a malignant brain tumor. While her son (little Stevie) was in the hospital, he was surprised with a phone call from Stevie Wonder. The Make A Wish Foundation had contacted Stevie Wonder about Sue's son, little Stevie.

Stevie Wonder was unable to visit with little Stevie because he was on tour with his band. So he got his band together along with their recording equipment, and called little Stevie on the phone. The phone was on loud speaker, and Stevie Wonder sang I Just Called To Say I Love You

During that time, little Stevie became blind because of the brain tumor. Stevie Wonder was aware of little Stevie going blind, and he called Sue to give his condolences the day of little Stevie's funeral.

My mom passed away in April of 1987. In 1988, my dad met Sue and they were married on February 27th, 1988. That was also Sue's birthday. They both helped each other with the grief of losing their spouses and her son. They had a wonderful life together, and Sue was my best friend.

In 2012, my dad passed away. He was at home and went to meet his maker February 27th which was their 24th wedding anniversary and Sue's birthday.

The hardest part of all of this was I couldn't go to Sue's funeral because of the Beer Burden. Only the immediate members of her family could go because they had been staying with Sue at her home. My stepsister and her husband had moved in with Sue when they found out she had Alzheimer's so she could stay at home.

The reality of it has made it so hard for me because I would have been there to see Sue if it hadn't been for the Beer Burden. My stepsister told me two weeks before Sue passed away that she woke up one morning and wondered where dad was. She wanted to see him and thought that maybe he went to town on an errand.

My stepsister didn't know what to say to her. She said that suddenly Sue remembered and started crying. It broke my heart in two when my stepsister told me. And because of that happening, it reminded me of a beautiful song by Kathy Mattea. The song was about her husband's grandparents. His grandmother had Alzheimer's.

Where've You Been 💞💓

Last edited:

Susan1

I wasn't paying attention to the music while I was typing - Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads - 1977 ?????
:rolleyes:

Susan1

One Tin Soldier (American Top 40 - the 70's. I had to mention this because we were singing that in a choir concert and I fainted, right off the end of the second riser. I had been out sick all week, but wanted to be in the spring concert. Bad idea, huh?

Cachoo

Kind of surprised an old broad like me enjoyed this particular group but I do LOVE these NPR concerts.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
In the 50's, when the show was still in Philly my father would go on from time to time.
In the '80s Philadelphia had a lesser-known program called Dancin' on Air. I never went but would watch after school.

I've started listening to the radio again on weekends, and a new favorite is local (Seattle) band Deep Sea Diver. The song that's been getting stuck in my head is Impossible Weight

Other songs knocking around my head lately:

Solange - Losing You (I love this video)

Amerie - 1 Thing - I had totally forgotten about this '90s gem. Those go-go drums are :swoon:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information