What If ... 1992 Olympics Ladies competition

Inessence

I always thought Kristi was the favorite among the judges. She fit the profile of a conventional ladies skater at the time. Midori and Tonya were way too different and if either of them had been more dominant, the sport could have drastically changed. Kristi always had consistency relative to her competitors. It's not that surprising that they made many mistakes. It's bound to happen when you attempt highly risky layouts and jumps that big.

I also felt her conventionality was the reason the USFSA cajoled Kristi into skating only singles, but not her partner Rudy, completely blindsiding him. He was obviously good enough, as he showed Them in ‘96. The men’s field in ‘92 wasn’t so bulletproof as to ignore him.

Maximillian

RIP TA
She was more impressive at the Olympics and Worlds, maybe more, but I think the yellow costume made it significantly more eye catching.

Ah, now this is the Midori I fell in love with! Seeing her for the first time at Calgary and then Budapest (didn't have cable and she wasn't shown on U.S. network coverage of Worlds in '86 or '87 when I started watching) was such a revelation, she seemed so far ahead of everyone else technically and the inherent joy in her skating was so clear. It's sad to think of how the following quad turned out for her not necessarily in terms of results, but with regards to pressure and the injuries.

I never minded Midori's leg wrap, mainly because I didn't know there was anything 'wrong' with it. Also, I was skating at the time and my single jumps were pretty wrapped as I recall.

bardtoob

Ah, now this is the Midori I fell in love with! Seeing her for the first time at Calgary and then Budapest (didn't have cable and she wasn't shown on U.S. network coverage of Worlds in '86 or '87 when I started watching) was such a revelation, she seemed so far ahead of everyone else technically and the inherent joy in her skating was so clear. It's sad to think of how the following quad turned out for her not necessarily in terms of results, but with regards to pressure and the injuries.

I think Midori (DOB: August 13, 1969) peaked as a skater from 1987 through 1990, when she was 17-20 years old. So, for all intensive purposes, the rule changes were just a little too late but not too late for her to claim an Olympic Silver Medal.

Note: Tonya (DOB: November 12, 1970) was about a year younger than Midori, so it seems reasonable to think that she would peak about 1988 to 1991.

Note: Kristi (DOB: July 12, 1971) was about 2 years younger than Midori, so it seems reasonable to think that she would peak about 1989 to 1992.

olympic

Per my opening post, does anyone have an opinion on the SP music for the top 4?

I didn't think Yamaguchi's 'Blue Danube' SP was great at showcasing her. The music was slow and accentuated the difference between her and the power skating of Ito and Harding. Ito used 'Espana Cani '(is that correct?) and Harding's techno influenced 'People are still having Sex' which were both riveting and powerful for the SP. I think it bolsters my argument that both should've been put ahead of Yamaguchi (all clean of course). I personally liked Nancy's SP more than Kristi as well. She did a unique variation of the Hamill Camel and her longer limbs accentuated her movements, plus she went jump for jump with Yamaguchi

Maximillian

RIP TA
Per my opening post, does anyone have an opinion on the SP music for the top 4?

I didn't think Yamaguchi's 'Blue Danube' SP was great at showcasing her. The music was slow and accentuated the difference between her and the power skating of Ito and Harding. Ito used 'Espana Cani '(is that correct?) and Harding's techno influenced 'People are still having Sex' which were both riveting and powerful for the SP. I think it bolsters my argument that both should've been put ahead of Yamaguchi (all clean of course). I personally liked Nancy's SP more than Kristi as well. She did a unique variation of the Hamill Camel and her longer limbs accentuated her movements, plus she went jump for jump with Yamaguchi
Personally, I adored Kristie's Blue Danube, it's easily my favorite amateur program of hers and while yes I suppose it would emphasize her slowness in relation to the field, it also shows the smoothness, ease and precision of her movements, in relation to the field. It clearly laid down the gauntlet of who was neat, precise and (dare I say it?) traditionally feminine.

I have no recollection at all of Ito's SP,other than the missed lutz combo. I was never a fan of Nancy Kerrigan's Mark Militano music SPs, it always just sounded like low rent production values and her choreography always looked like it was pulled from a cheer squad. I did like Tonya's SP, thought it suited her very well and provided a great contrast to Yama's Blue Danube.

Bellanca

Personally, I adored Kristie's Blue Danube, it's easily my favorite amateur program of hers and while yes I suppose it would emphasize her slowness in relation to the field, it also shows the smoothness, ease and precision of her movements, in relation to the field. It clearly laid down the gauntlet of who was neat, precise and (dare I say it?) traditionally feminine.
All of this. It absolutely made a difference.

I was never a fan of Nancy Kerrigan's Mark Militano music SPs, it always just sounded like low rent production values and her choreography always looked like it was pulled from a cheer squad.
:lol: Guess that’s better than, say, The Drill Team? :cheer2:

briancoogaert

Same here !
I still watch this Blue Danube SP with the same pleasure 28 years later.
It was very smooth and subtil, and it suited perfectly Kristi's skating. :swoon:

Marco

I think they were smart to go the other way and go 'artistic'. Why try to out power Ito and Harding?! Plus since her own free program was dramatic, she was right to diverse with a lighter piece for the short.

Note: Kristi's sideways - layback - haricutter spin in Blue Danube was debuted more than 10 years before COP came into play with all those layback features which are still valid now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information