WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

Mad for Skating

Their gala program this year, wow. Now that's how it's done! :fan:

I love it so much! 😍

In my eyes, WEAVER and POJE should have won 4CC today!!! There's no way Chock and Bates were superior!!!!

I personally love Chock/Bates too but I do think the scores should’ve been closer. Chock/Bates are a little technically stronger, but Weaver/Poje have a deep emotional quality to their skating that’s just stunning.

barbarafan

Their FD is my favorite by far this season! I think they were underscored a bit relative to others but I’m glad that they got a strong result here.
ITA but they were really marked down on GOE's and PCS's from certain judges....(like the Polish judge). So the score was lower than it should be and this will count for where their starting position in the RD at worlds will be which can easily decide where they finish.

geoskate

Yes, I noticed that. I had looked at the detailed marks just to see what the different judges were thinking about the different teams, and to look at how their personalities came through. Some marked consistently high, some consistently low, but I think most of the judges could defend their marks as being within a reasonable range, allowing for personal preferences. The Polish judge's marks, though, were . . . unusual. I was actually a bit shocked by them. I guess it's possible that it represents what he honestly thought, but I've watched ice dance for enough years to be a bit cynical about how he arrived at those marks and whether his motivation was truly to mark honestly what he saw.

Mad for Skating

ITA but they were really marked down on GOE's and PCS's from certain judges....(like the Polish judge). So the score was lower than it should be and this will count for where their starting position in the RD at worlds will be which can easily decide where they finish.

I never thought of that, but now I’m mad 🙈

barbarafan

Yes, I noticed that. I had looked at the detailed marks just to see what the different judges were thinking about the different teams, and to look at how their personalities came through. Some marked consistently high, some consistently low, but I think most of the judges could defend their marks as being within a reasonable range, allowing for personal preferences. The Polish judge's marks, though, were . . . unusual. I was actually a bit shocked by them. I guess it's possible that it represents what he honestly thought, but I've watched ice dance for enough years to be a bit cynical about how he arrived at those marks and whether his motivation was truly to mark honestly what he saw.
the marking at Euros in ice dance were also weird ....too little distance between P/C and next couple down as well as Polish team given brilliant marks on a heavy and not sharp skate although they are an ok team. This sort of judging does effect your groups and eventually ultimate result at worlds. Very disappointed with this.

Mad for Skating

Before our work schedules became crazy, my husband and I used to be extremely social were we could "entertain" lots of people. We would be interested in Andrew, and maybe Kaitlyn if she were up for it.

OMG 😂 I’m bi too, but I think I’ll stick with one at a time! Kaitlyn and Andrew are both gorgeous though.

(Now how to get these naughty links out of my search history??? And here I thought the Team Trainwreck thread was the thirstiest part of this site!)

Mad for Skating

In Word, 'clear recent history' under History.

Mr. Japanfan would certainly be perplexed if he found out I had looked at/visited that sight.

I already cleared it and deleted cookies to be doubly sure. Lol you’re hiding it from the Mr., I’m hiding it from my parents. #partnersincrime

If only they knew about the stash of sexy pictures of skaters in a secret archive on my phone 🙈

yurokis40

I am still wondering why they were underscored in PCS at 4cc I know it was their first international since September but cmom their fd is some of their best work ever, although I am not surprised the judging is always cooky when the competition is in a big federation like the US or Russia, I mean 57+ pcs for that awful romeo and Juliet program from h&d:rolleyes:

lauravvv

yurokis40 - Kaitlyn and Andrew have been one of my favorite dance teams for a long time now, and I like their FD. But, even so, I have to admit that it's not great - especially in comparison to Gilles/Poirier's FD. It's a bit old fashioned, the choreo is not as rich as G/P's, they have less transitions (or such is the impression), but neither they have the speed and smoothness of P/C or even H/D to make up for it. And, when most elements except step sequences are either a bit weak (like their twizzles and spin), or just not quite perfect (like their lifts which are difficult and well executed, but, again, not in comparison to, say, Chock/Bates or even Gilles/Poirier), I think it also adds to the overall impression and makes judges want to mark down also in PCS.

I'd say they have to do something about the FD - like, add a few more transitions, although time is short. Perhaps change the last position in their spin - it's beautiful, but it's slowing the spin down. With twizzles, they have two choices - either continue to do them tentatively to avoid making serious mistakes and loosing levels - and get pretty low GOE again, or go for more speed and hope for the best. But I am sure they and their coaches know what they have to do better than me and are aware that they can't just rely on their RD which is so good.

H/D are another story, though. They are marked highly not just in US.

Emilia12

yurokis40 - Kaitlyn and Andrew have been one of my favorite dance teams for a long time now, and I like their FD. But, even so, I have to admit that it's not great - especially in comparison to Gilles/Poirier's FD. It's a bit old fashioned, the choreo is not as rich as G/P's, they have less transitions (or such is the impression), but neither they have the speed and smoothness of P/C or even H/D to make up for it. And, when most elements except step sequences are either a bit weak (like their twizzles and spin), or just not quite perfect (like their lifts which are difficult and well executed, but, again, not in comparison to, say, Chock/Bates or even Gilles/Poirier), I think it also adds to the overall impression and makes judges want to mark down also in PCS.

I'd say they have to do something about the FD - like, add a few more transitions, although time is short. Perhaps change the last position in their spin - it's beautiful, but it's slowing the spin down. With twizzles, they have two choices - either continue to do them tentatively to avoid making serious mistakes and loosing levels - and get pretty low GOE again, or go for more speed and hope for the best. But I am sure they and their coaches know what they have to do better than me and are aware that they can't just rely on their RD which is so good.

H/D are another story, though. They are marked highly not just in US.

Their Fd is absolutely fine. It's smooth and flowy and beautiful. they don't need more transitions, since the judges really don't care about them. Several years ago they used to go out with the most complicated programs and it gave them absolutely nothing. their speed is fine as well. they are still quite faster than GP, have a way better skating skills and edge quality. they don't need to change anything before world's, its pointless, they need to perfect the material that they got.

lauravvv

Emilia12 - The FD as a program is indeed smooth and flowy. What gives the appearance/impression of not so smooth are the elements.

As for transitions, apparently judges start caring for them when they want to - at 4CC W/P got the lowest transitions score, as well as the lowest choreo score, out of all four top teams. G/P's FD was also scoring lower before they added a few more transitions to it.

I was not comparing their speed to G/P, but to P/C and H/D (teams whose programs are generally more "open", but who compensate it with their speed and smoothness).

starrynight

Why are we picking apart W/P in their fan thread? Plenty of opportunities to do that in the play by plays and the main dance thread.

W/P constantly seem to be sandwiched between all sorts of external drama, so it would be nice to have one positive place for them.

lauravvv

Why are we picking apart W/P in their fan thread? Plenty of opportunities to do that in the play by plays and the main dance thread.
I was just trying to think about what they could improve to get better marks in the FD at Worlds, as I really want them to get another Worlds medal. I think there is a place for that in their fan thread.

Thank you, chantilly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information