Weaver and Poje step away from competition

starrynight

For some reason, I thought W/P were going to try to get an Olympic medal via the team event so long as there isn't a Canadian team with an V/M-like rise who will do both phases of the team event in 2022. Of course, a lot of things can happen between now and then and if Andrew doesn't feel like the daily grind is worth it considering it's sort of an unknown whether they would get to compete in the Olympic team event and win a medal there (assuming Canada takes home a medal) by 2022.

Yes it’s such an unknown thing. Anything can happen. Andrew will also be 35 by the time the next Olympics come around and that’s a lot of strain on your body for a long time.

puglover

I know C/L were a lot of people's emotional favorites for bronze at World's 2018 in Italy but I am so glad that Kaitlyn and Andrew got that recognition - one of the few times a tight race ended in their favor.

kittysk8ts

And she’s going to Oakville in August to work a bit with the new pairs camp, directed by Bruno Marcotte. I love Kaitlyn. I bet as a choreographer she will be very much like Lori Nichol, in that Lori also becomes a mentor to her skaters if they are open to it. It’s often sad when a team leaves the competitive realm.

IMHO, Weaver and Poje are just as important to the Canadian ice dance legacy as any team before and/or alongside them. Yes, the online hate is an absolute horror. But please don’t forget the moments, of equal love for Weaver and Poje, loud, proud and in person, such as the crowd support at 2013 Worlds and 2018 Canadians.

ronnie_f

Why would Kaitlyn make it clear that Andrew wanted to stop and she wanted to continue? Why do the fans need to know that? It comes across as a passive-agressive message to Andrew and I'm left with a weird feeling reading her post.

In any case, I will miss seeing them at worlds. I would have liked to see what they could do with a different coach but if this is the end, they've had a great career.

I'm late to the party here, as usual it seems, but anyway you're definitely not the only one thinking that. On the surface, especially for those that either started following their career recently or weren't really keeping a close eye on things it may sound like a very sweet and innocent "thank you for all those years". At the same time, for those that have been around for ages and can read between the lines it was a perfectly timed stab in the back. Retirements (and it's most likely going to be one even though there hasn't been anything official published yet) are always very emotional and there's always someone that wants this one more medal/season/whatever, but all of the stuff that comes with it is something that they should have discussed between each other, it shouldn't have ended up being very public finger pointing. Airing their dirty laundry in front of everyone, literally hours before his sister's wedding... that's just petty, vindictive and immature and it's sad to see them go like that.

Debbie S

From their IGs, it seems clear that since the step away/retirement announcement, they are still on good terms. I didn't read Kaitlyn's post in a negative way at the time and I don't now. I don't think we should assume there is an ulterior/negative motive.

ronnie_f

No, we shouldn't assume, but let's consider facts for a moment - there isn't a single post on IG that's not (in some way) intentional and thought out, especially when we're talking about internationally known athletes and let's keep in mind that on top of that she's been studying public relations. So, what was the idea behind that post then? She has been talking about how they did everything together for years, so if the intention was to thank their fanbase - they could have done something together and they could have done it anytime. What happened instead was that she posted it when she did and the result was that he got, best case scenario, called out on not saying anything or, worst case scenario, called a piece of sh*t. The way I see it, regardless of whether that was intentional or not, it was not the best possible action/timing and she should have known better. There's also more to that than just a bunch of IG photos, but I really don't want to turn this thread into a gossip column.

Spun Silver

If Andrew wasn't upset, I really can't comprehend why anyone else should be bothered. Most likely Kaitlin was feeling a bit heartbroken and lost, as many skaters are on retiring, and wrote out of the emotion of the moment. She seems to adore Andrew and she will also be losing her partnership with him, at least retiring brings that day closer. Give the girl a break.

ronnie_f

Perhaps it's all just based on the opinion that I've formed over the years and the fact that there are things that I wouldn't put past her. It's totally possible that I (and others that have said similar things lately) got it all wrong and I sure hope we'll never know who's right because (a) we really shouldn't (b) it could mean way too much drama.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Perhaps it's all just based on the opinion that I've formed over the years and the fact that there are things that I wouldn't put past her. It's totally possible that I (and others that have said similar things lately) got it all wrong and I sure hope we'll never know who's right because (a) we really shouldn't (b) it could mean way too much drama.

I think you've been projecting too much. :violin:

Last edited:

ronnie_f

What fact?

Well, the way I see it, if she wants something, she'll get it no matter what and you really don't want to stand in her way while she's at it, but then again that is a very competitive sport and as someone said - let's give her a break

puglover

Well, the way I see it, if she wants something, she'll get it no matter what and you really don't want to stand in her way while she's at it, but then again that is a very competitive sport and as someone said - let's give her a break
We clearly view Kaitlyn and Andrew's careers differently based on that statement. I have always admired the dignity and class they have shown regardless of some tough decisions not made in their favor.

ronnie_f

We clearly view Kaitlyn and Andrew's careers differently based on that statement. I have always admired the dignity and class they have shown regardless of some tough decisions not made in their favor.

Maybe that's what it is. I don't know, I kind of always separated competitions as such from, hmm, how to say it, off ice behavioral patterns? And don't get me wrong, I'll miss those two on the ice just as much as anyone here, after so many years of watching them skate and shouting at the judges for being as*holes and staying up all night because of competitions taking place on the other side of the world compared to where I was at the time. Every once in a while there's just something that she'd do that would either rub me the wrong way completely or make me scratch my head and wonder what the hell just happened. Which probably shows my own double standards :wall: more than anything else considering how, umm, 'protective' I've been when it comes to Andrew

barbarafan

From their IGs, it seems clear that since the step away/retirement announcement, they are still on good terms. I didn't read Kaitlyn's post in a negative way at the time and I don't now. I don't think we should assume there is an ulterior/negative motive.
I agree. She made it clear that their continuing for a while was him humoring her and supporting her in her drive and perhaps she became too emotional for the conversation to be completed. It looked like almost an apology to him that she understands now and he was right to draw the line as she would have just have kept on pushing for the next medal, the next program, the next year and sometimes if you have different dreams as well as competing time can run out. I miss them both and if this is retirement I hope to see them occasionally at shows.

starrynight

Kaitlyn literally commented down in the comments of that Instagram post supporting and defending Andrew.

And why shouldn’t it be an emotional process? How could anyone walk away from a lifetime fight without a care at all? Maybe people who think they should do that aren’t trying to understand that kind of all encompassing passion that it takes to be an elite athlete and what a big deal it would be to stop doing the only thing in life you know how. It’s going to be a huge adjustment and probably emotional, messy and difficult. And that’s just how it is.

I think people read far too much into these things. They are real life people and this isn’t a fan fiction story. (And seriously I suspect there’s a lot of ridiculous mental fan fiction going on here. A lot of odd stuff gets said about Kaitlyn and Andrew on other platforms and I suspect that’s where all this projecting has come from).

There’s just this culture of people expecting dance teams to be perfect card board cut outs of the impossibly perfect romance that I don’t like.

Anyway, it’s a very, very exciting time for WP fans as they are both about to appear on Battle of the Blades!!! Personally I’m far more interested in that than picking over a months old Instagram post. That’s all ancient news as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

ronnie_f

Way to go me, really - while calling someone else out on shitty communication I did the exact same thing myself. :wall:
Look, we all have our own views, opinions and sources for those. Sometimes they would align, sometimes they wouldn't and in a way, this is exactly why places like this even exist - to share those opinions. Do I have my opinion on Kaitlyn, as a human being and as a skater? sure I do, and so does everyone else here. Would that always be the same opinion? Of course not and that's ok, that's just how the world works.

@starrynight - I never said it's not an emotional thing or that it shouldn't be - hell, I've been through a very similar situation myself years ago and I've seen too many others going through that as well to possibly count all of them. None of that stuff is easy, ever. The point that I was trying to make, and failed at quite spectacularly so far, is that we're living in a world that's messed up to the point that anything can cause an uproar nowadays - say something, don't do it - there's always going to be someone complaining about it or questioning it in some way. There are people here that thought it was phrased in a weird way, some that thought it was perfectly fine and some that thought not the greatest thing to do at that particular time. And you know what, at the end of the day, it's all just our own opinions. She posted what she felt like posting when she thought it was the right time to do it and that's her decision, which is (just as it should be) completely outside of our control. In terms of her commenting on what people said under that post - I honestly haven't seen her responses to any of those comments.

@barbarafan - it's interesting to see a point of view that's probably as far as it gets on the opposite side of the spectrum to mine. It's probably neither of the two but I sure hope that whatever that post was supposed to be was closer to yours than mine. :)

Now, in terms of skating and drama - there's always some, always has been and it will probably continue like this for generations, it comes with the territory in a way, both within the actual federations and from the perspective of fans/spectators/etc. There's definitely more of the latter nowadays than I wish there ever was and some of the sh*t out there is just wild. I definitely wish it could be more like it used to be back in the day - when it was all about the performance quality and entertainment and not as much about what's going on behind the scenes.

beebee

Plain and simple, ronnie_f is a troll. Seems he has either an axe to grind against Kaitlyn or is delusional. I think it's advisable to stop feeding this troll. One thing is certain--Kaitlyn is not a/the villain. Anyone who actually knows her is aware of her kindness--she's a beautiful person both inside and out. It's unfortunate that someone such as ronnie_f is trying to sully Kaitlyn's reputation, but such is a pitfall of today's world of hyper-communication.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Plain and simple, ronnie_f is a troll. Seems he has either an axe to grind against Kaitlyn or is delusional. I think it's advisable to stop feeding this troll. One thing is certain--Kaitlyn is not a/the villain. Anyone who actually knows her is aware of her kindness--she's a beautiful person both inside and out. It's unfortunate that someone such as ronnie_f is trying to sully Kaitlyn's reputation, but such is a pitfall of today's world of hyper-communication.

Love Kaitlyn, I hope it’s not the end of the road for them. They make a great team together and I hope they will return in BOTB or in future skating shows.

skylark

I think her intent was express gratitude and post a benign heartfelt message but to most of us in my circle the message was riddled with subtext. Nothing like the traditional 'hey we're retiring, now let me/us give thanks'.

No criticism here by any means but it seems there's more she wants to share, so she signalled some things without going into details.

You could say that Kaitlyn's approach honors the complexity of real life and partnerships more.

To me, Kaitlyn chooses to be more real than just the traditional "we're retiring/let me give thanks," and in this important moment she chose to share, selectively, more complete feelings with friends, family, and Andrew in a public way, rather than a more traditional praise-fest. It's like acknowledging that the phrase "grace under fire" means a response to adversity and probably pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information