Ways to support Ukraine, refugees & those helping them (please share info & links)

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new thread in OTBT (no politics in here please):
@Sylvia, maybe we should start a thread specifically about ways to donate? Someone just asked a question about it in the Dance Hall, and I realized that I've read of several ways to donate (between the ones Sadovsky recommended and yours and then maybe another one or two in between); but they quickly get buried by all the other news in these long Ukraine threads, which would make them hard to find or link to when people are looking to make donations.
ETA: Just saw that @taz'smum has started a separate thread to support UKR figure skaters in PI - link:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Chef José Andrés and his World Central Kitchen (https://wck.org/) are feeding refugees at different borders in Ukraine:

To donate: https://donate.wck.org/give/236738/#!/donation/checkout

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Tweeted by author Andrei Kurkov (“a Ukrainian novelist and an independent thinker who writes in Russian” who is still in Ukraine with his family):

Link:

Last edited:

attyfan

Here is another:

Allskate

Chef José Andrés and his World Central Kitchen (https://wck.org/) are feeding refugees at different borders in Ukraine:
To donate: https://donate.wck.org/give/236738/#!/donation/checkout

Cross-posting some information I have posted over the last week.

World Central Kitchen is a great organization and one of my favorite charities. It frequently gets into crisis areas before NGOs like the Red Cross do, and they almost immediately were giving out meals at the Ukrainian/Polish borders and mobilizing at other border points as well as taking food into Ukraine itself. They focus on providing food to victims and to the people helping the victims.

However, undoubtedly, more than food will be needed. Doctors Without Borders is a great organization. Save the Children apparently was working in Ukraine even before the war started and there clearly are Ukrainian children who need all kinds of help.

Charity Navigator is an organization that vets charities to make sure they are honest and rates their effectiveness and how much of their donations actually go to their charitable purposes. They have a page with a list of well-vetted charities related to Ukraine. I'm sure there are many others not listed here:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @Spun Silver for this suggestion re. Etsy:
If anyone would like to get help directly to the grassroots in Ukraine, you can actually do that via Etsy which has a number of Ukrainian sellers who have been posting in the Etsy forums. I am in touch with a few. Some are placing digital listings in their shops which are actually donations. One I messaged with last night said that her area in the west has "only" had two strikes so far, so - although she and her husband are taking turns sleeping so that one is awake in the event of an alarm to hide the children - they are helping refugees from other parts of Ukraine and sending help to those in the north and south. Two sellers I have messaged with that have the donation listings are below, or you could go to the forums and approach others yourselves, as I did, or do a localized search on Etsy to find other Ukrainian sellers. (Etsy closed all its Ukrainian shops temporarily as a default setting because of the war, so you might find shops "on vacation," but those that are able to conduct business have reopened theirs.)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LOTpottery - Olga (various listings, different amounts)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MilaSewingRoom - Liudmila (Pray for Ukraine $10 listing)
Also:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShufliaCrafts - Marta (her shop does not have the donation listings, but when I asked her how I could help, she told me a donation would be used "to support Ukrainian Army, because these are the only people who protect us."
Etsy forums:

Sylvia

TBD

Jakub Parusinski is organizing this fundraiser on behalf of Kyiv Independent.

A few words from Jakub

Ukraine is facing an unprecedented attack. The Kyiv Independent continues to work, bringing the world trusted, important information about the facts on the ground.

We need your support in this difficult and unpredictable task. From cyberattacks, bombings, ground invasions - it is hard to predict what the days ahead will bring and what we will need to respond.

All this is a huge trial for a media launched just 3 months ago. But together we can overcome.

Note: The Fix together with media across Europe are raising funds a broad group of Ukrainian media - please consider supporting them: www.gofundme.com/manage/keep-ukraines-media-going

You helped us launch the Kyiv Independent!

For many years, the English-speaking world relied on the Kyiv Post for trustworthy news from Ukraine.

But on November 8, the Kyiv Post owner shut down the distinguished 26-year-old newspaper and fired its entire team. The staff considers it retaliation for defending editorial independence.

This was the end of the independent Kyiv Post as we know it — but it doesn’t have to be the end of high-quality local reporting from Ukraine.

The team launched a new media outlet, the Kyiv Independent.

It is crucial to bring credible news from Ukraine to the world. Especially when Russian forces are working hard to distort the perception of Ukraine abroad.

We are asking you to stand up to it together with us. This campaign is run by Jakub Parusinski, the chief financial officer of the Kyiv Independent, who is based in London.

We are not backed by a rich owner or an oligarch. We will rely first and foremost on fundraising from our readers and donors, and later on commercial activities.

If you feel like pledging a monthly donation, you are welcome to become our patron on Patreon. Patrons contribute anywhere from $5 a month and enjoy benefits. Over 2100 people have become our patrons already.

Join us on this adventure. Support independent journalism in Ukraine!

Subscribe to our newsletter, Ukraine Daily, here: https://mailchi.mp/9d739c3b1dd3/ukraine-daily

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The Cat Cafe in Lviv is staying open to help their neighbors. They are donating 20% of all their proceeds to the Ukrainian army.

If you want to give them some money, they have a contact in Canada and 50% of what you send him goes to the army and 50% to the Cat Cafe.

You can read more about it on their Facebook page:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
@airgelaal @babayaga - if you know of anyone who needs to get out of Ukraine to a safe country, Irish online news site The Journal have published an article in Ukrainian about the procedures involved in travelling to Ireland.

attyfan

Not sure if this is the right place, but - for drinkers:

(if this belongs elsewhere, please move it)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Nadiia Bashynska, who runs her own candymaking business when she isn't skating, is making and selling a new line of white chocolates to raise money for Ukraine. Here are her Instagram post about it and her Etsy link.

reut

Beautiful idea how to help specific people in Ukraine right now: book any Airbnb apartment (of private people, not companies, for example use filter to identify hosts who Airbnb spare rooms in their own home; also, contact them and make sure they can access that money; Airbnb are waiving all guest and host fees on all bookings in Ukraine right now).

Last edited:

Former Lurve Goddess

Not sure if this is the right place, but - for drinkers:

(if this belongs elsewhere, please move it)
I've been making these but I call them "Ukrainian Nightingales." Significant other and I now have A LOT of Ukrainian vodka and sparkling wine to drown our sorrows with.

Sylvia

TBD
Sting sings "Russians" (1985), accompanied by cellist Ramiro Belgardt: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CavQo-xF4xp/

I’ve only rarely sung this song in the many years since it was written, because I never thought it would be relevant again. But, in the light of one man’s bloody and woefully misguided decision to invade a peaceful, unthreatening neighbor, the song is, once again, a plea for our common humanity. For the brave Ukrainians fighting against this brutal tyranny and also the many Russians who are protesting this outrage despite the threat of arrest and imprisonment - We, all of us, love our children. Stop the war.

Thanks to @szumowska.m for helping us connect to this organization: http://helpukraine.center/en

2sk8

Ukrainian American figure skater, Matej Silecky, has pushed through a collection of Ukrainian themed NFTs that he had been working on, and the proceeds from which will now be donated to support aid to Ukraine through the Ukrainian World Congress' Unite With Ukraine fundraiser and/or as direct crypto donations to the Crypto Fund endorsed by the Ukrainian government to send aid to Ukraine.

You can mint NFTs in Solana crypto currency here: https://kozakfoxeverui.vercel.app/

For those interested in history leading up to this Russian invasion, Matej also has a Free PBS Learning Media Resource linked to his documentary about Ukrainian WW2 history that coincidentally went live on March 1.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Hi all. My Israeli stepson is going to Switzerland Thursday to visit his sister. He would then like to volunteer for organization working at Ukrainian border and we are much in favor. Doesn’t speak Ukrainian but his English is excellent. I know these are organizations for donations but is there a list of places where he can volunteer?

Debbie S

Hi all. My Israeli stepson is going to Switzerland Thursday to visit his sister. He would then like to volunteer for organization working at Ukrainian border and we are much in favor. Doesn’t speak Ukrainian but his English is excellent. I know these are organizations for donations but is there a list of places where he can volunteer?
I know someone who arrived in Poland today to volunteer with the JCC in Krakow, which is helping refugees but obviously not at the border.

If anyone wants to contribute while getting baked goods, small bakeries across Europe and the U.S. (and there's one in BC) are taking part in Hamantashen for Ukraine: https://www.hamantashenforukraine.com/

Hamantashen are the fruit-filled pastry eaten on the Jewish holiday of Purim, which is next week, but you don't need to be Jewish to eat them. :)

Spun Silver

The Knights of Columbus (a Catholic group) are working with refugees. The KOC are very volunteer driven, with chapters in most (many?) towns and parishes, so they might be receptive.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If he can cook, maybe the World Central Kitchen? They probably also need people to do grunt work and also to serve the meals.

Allskate

That is wonderful that he wants to help. If he doesn't have a place to stay, it may be that he is taking up a room that could go to a refugee, but it may be that there is a place for him to stay and be very helpful. It might be good for him to contact synagogues and other Jewish charitable organizations in Poland or other border countries to see how he can help them. I saw a report on CNN that the World Jewish Congress and the Jewish community in Moldova is doing a lot to help refugees. That is happening in a number of border countries. I also came across this article about Poland:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
The WeRateDogs twitter account has linked some charities that that are supporting refugees and their companion animals. They also had a link to IFAW that is working with their shelter partners in Ukraine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information