Virtue/Moir to ‘Step Away from the Sport’

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
They will do the Rock the Rink tour and then step away to watch the future generations. Nice video highlighting their 22-year partnership here:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Colonel Green

From Tessa's past interviews I figured this was coming in the near-future.

I guess we'll be getting news of Scott's prospective coaching career soon.

Daena

Sorry, can't watch video right now (Instagram is not available to me atm) - does this "step away" thing means "no shows" or something like that?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Sorry, can't watch video right now (Instagram is not available to me atm) - does this "step away" thing means "no shows" or something like that?

He says at the end of the video it's their last tour so I would say it's a retirement from competitive and show skating.

:cheer: to them both on an incredible career together and hope their final tour is a great ending for them.

Japanfan

:cheer: to them both on an incredible career together and hope their final tour is a great ending for them.

SFAIK Tessa has taken some university courses. IIRC she has talking about getting an MBA. I'm sure she is ready to move on.

And isn't Scott getting married sometime soon? In which case, he too might be ready to move on.

In any case, they have achieved so much in FS. They probably would never have been staying in until 2022 and although Montreal Worlds in 2020 might have been a bit of a draw, perhaps they just realized that it was too much for them to strive for.

dramagrrl

I hope they will do some special appearances in shows in the future, because the idea of them never skating together in public again makes me very sad. That being said, I am not a huge fan of show skating in general, so having them step away completely isn't that different for me than if they had just retired from competition for good. I wasn't necessarily planning on getting tickets to the Rock the Rink tour, but now I will because I would like to see them skate live one last time.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
“Step away”? Why not say “Retirement”?

skatingguy

decently
Because if you 'step away' you can always 'step back' from time to time.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I was just going to ask the same thing. "Stepping Away" sounds more like pejorative. Are they not going to ever skate again? Are they not going to coach? No commentatig? Watching on TV? Odd, IMO.

Retirement seems like a much better choice of words.

chantilly

I think Tessa has made it very clear that’s what she feels above.

I think Scott will coach. But not sure where. I don’t think Montreal. And things may have changed now he’s about to be married.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Then again, this could all be pre-tour publicity. Fake news? Maybe after a brief “Step Away” they’ll be back for the next tour...in the next Olympic season!

Sylvia

TBD

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I was just going to ask the same thing. "Stepping Away" sounds more like pejorative. Are they not going to ever skate again? Are they not going to coach? No commentatig? Watching on TV? Odd, IMO.

Retirement seems like a much better choice of words.

Did you watch the video? They will no longer compete, talking about Canada being in great shape with the next generation of skaters but they said they would be cheering on the next generation and watching them. They say this is their last tour. so no more tours. There is nothing pejorative about their video and spoken word imo. Just seemed a heartfelt thank you, this is it for us with regards to competing and touring. On to the next stage of life. No announcements on what that entails but I think from things they have said over the past year Scott will be involved with skating in some capacity and Tessa in some other career/business.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada made it official today with their press release (Sept. 18): Three-time Olympic Champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir Retire from Competitive Skating
“Tessa and Scott are the most innovative ice dance team of all time. Throughout their career they have always pushed the ice dance envelope by bringing different genres to life with technical precision and performance perfection,” said Mike Slipchuk, Director High Performance, Skate Canada. “What makes them so special is they are champions on and off the ice. They are great athletes but also great leaders and people. We thank them for bringing us along on their incredible journey.”

Direct link to watch Skate Canada's "Thank You/Merci Tessa and Scott" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkFxPhNtGo

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
It's not surprising that they're not going to compete anymore, but I would be very surprised if we never saw them skate together ever again. It does work very well as a piece of promotion for their tour. I looked but I'm working the days the tour is in Ottawa & Kingston so I wouldn't be able to go, but it's very tempting knowing that there may not be another opportunity.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Did you watch the video? They will no longer compete, talking about Canada being in great shape with the next generation of skaters but they said they would be cheering on the next generation and watching them. They say this is their last tour. so no more tours. There is nothing pejorative about their video and spoken word imo. Just seemed a heartfelt thank you, this is it for us with regards to competing and touring. On to the next stage of life. No announcements on what that entails but I think from things they have said over the past year Scott will be involved with skating in some capacity and Tessa in some other career/business.
Just going by the thread title......which SHOULD be accurate.

Sylvia

TBD
The thread title IS accurate. This was the Canadian Press' article headline overnight:

Canada’s Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir to ‘step away’ from ice dance: https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/canadas-tessa-virtue-scott-moir-step-away-ice-dance/
Canadian ice dancing stars Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir say they are "stepping away" from the sport.
Their retirement was revealed late Tuesday night in a video message posted on their separate Twitter accounts.
The pair is shown skating around on ice, Moir holding a cellphone camera, as they thank fans for their support in an emotional message.
"After 22 years, it feels like the right time to step away from the sport," Virtue said. "This is so personal and emotional for both of us. We’re just so grateful. How lucky are we really that we got to share all of this together and with all of you?"

chantilly

“Step Away” is just fancy journalistic semantics for retire.

Tessa made it clear in an interview that she’s not interested in coaching and non competitive skating as a whole.

I wouldn’t rule out commentating but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
“Step Away” is just fancy journalistic semantics for retire.

Tessa made it clear in an interview that she’s not interested in coaching and non competitive skating as a whole.

I wouldn’t rule out commentating but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Tessa said it in their video announcement, she said it seems like the right time to step away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information