skategal

Bunny mama
They deserve a full-out medal presentation, even if its just for the gold medals.

The idiocy of the medal ceremony not being held at the 2022 Olympics stole a moment they'll never get back but doing it in Paris could at least feel like a real thing.
Yes…they said their parents and family members would be able to go to Paris and see them get the gold medal which wasn’t possible in Beijing.

So that would be even more special for them.

delayedaxel

Four years seem pretty harsh for me, given that Valieva most certainly did not take the Trimetadizin on purpose (or knowingly) and Eteri Tutberize (and/ or the team doctor or other shady figures in the background) that surely play a role in this scharade go unpunished.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Four years seem pretty harsh for me, given that Valieva most certainly did not take the Trimetadizin on purpose (or knowingly) and Eteri Tutberize (and/ or the team doctor or other shady figures in the background) that surely play a role in this scharade go unpunished.
These are assumptions. We don't know what evidence or testimony was presented to CAS. We will have a lot more information once the full reasoned decision is released - I think CAS doesn't plan on doing that until after the appeal window closes.

Former Lurve Goddess

So, in an attempt to appease Russia, the ISU has also managed to piss off Canada. Great job! :rolleyes:
Since the CAS decision came down, Canadian journalists has been all over it. Figure skating hasn't had so much coverage in Canada in ages! There's nothing like an "Evil Russkies stole a medal from the Canucks" story to get the Canadian media going. ;) ETA: maybe now is a good time for the CBC to snap up those broadcast rights for Montreal World's.

Last edited:

Vagabond

One can just as easily argue it the other way around. A four-year ban for the skater is likely to deter coaches from surreptitiously doping their athletes. But of course, Tutberidze and company should be investigated too.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I watched the clip, and everyone has neglected to mention that Nathan raised his hand as well! Of course, it DID seem like he was also just doing it to fit in... but here's to hoping that he might still make a comeback...
Yes, I noticed that. Hard to tell if he was being serious or silly. You never know with Nathan! :)

skategal

Bunny mama
I watched the clip, and everyone has neglected to mention that Nathan raised his hand as well! Of course, it DID seem like he was also just doing it to fit in... but here's to hoping that he might still make a comeback...
IIRC they asked him about a comeback right at the start of the interview and he said that the final decision hasn’t been made yet, he’s really happy and fulfilled right now in the academic world but he still skates and trains when he can.

So maybe….

zebobes

IIRC they asked him about a comeback right at the start of the interview and he said that the final decision hasn’t been made yet, he’s really happy and fulfilled right now in the academic world but he still skates and trains when he can.

So maybe….

Yeah, but that part sounded really scripted and rehearsed, whereas the raising of the hand felt more significant to me.

If he really wants to make a run for it, he has to start getting ready this coming season.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Yeah, but that part sounded really scripted and rehearsed, whereas the raising of the hand felt more significant to me.

If he really wants to make a run for it, he has to start getting ready this coming season.
Depends on what the goal is. To win the men's event again, yes he'd need to start getting ready again this coming season. If it's just to make the team again and earn another TE medal - he could probably put off hard-core training until 2025. Even at half or a third the level he was at in 2022, he'd easily beat all the other guys except Ilia. Can y'all imagine putting Ilia & Nathan in the TE?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The "proceed with awarding gold medals to the USA" narrative concerns me a bit because it makes me worry they're just going to like mail them. The US team (as well as Japan, not to mention Canada) deserve to have something special.
I think what they are meaning is they don't have to wait for appeals and don't need Russia there while they hash out the bronze medal (although I do agree it's kind of cold to leave Canada out of it). The athletes seem to want a proper Olympic medal ceremony which I sure hope they are listening to.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
The "proceed with awarding gold medals to the USA" narrative concerns me a bit because it makes me worry they're just going to like mail them. The US team (as well as Japan, not to mention Canada) deserve to have something special.
I don’t have Twitter but those that do should tweet NBC/Today that it needs to happen in Paris. I have faith they can make sure that happens.

manhn

These medal ceremonies where athletes get their medals upgraded are usually not that glamourous. I recall while wandering around Downtown Vancouver near our art gallery as a student during my break walking past a ceremony where a Canadian cross-skier got her bronze medal.

honey

These medal ceremonies where athletes get their medals upgraded are usually not that glamourous. I recall while wandering around Downtown Vancouver near our art gallery as a student during my break walking past a ceremony where a Canadian cross-skier got her bronze medal.
I think the difference here is that no one got ANY ceremony initially. This isn’t just redistribution of the medals. It’s the initial ceremony.

In the case of a bronze medalists being bumped up from 4th, yeah I guess they usually just miss out on a ceremony at all. But typically the other medalists at least got the first ceremony at an Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information