UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

treesprite

I didn't know that Connecticut had such problems in its service provision system. I am in Montgomery County, MD, where there are all kinds of programs and opportunities.

Is there a volunteer coordinator in the agency, who could help find someone who would volunteer time to take you to the rink?

Have you looked into skating through the Special Olympics program, as a way to make skating more affordable?

Does the area parks and recreation department have any kind of funding for either low income people or people with disabilities?

Some counties have help and information phone lines where people can call to get information about resources and services - if there is such a thing where you live, calling there would be a good place to start looking for resources to help you be able to skate.

If you belong to a religious organization, like a church or synagogue, you could also ask people there about getting a volunteer.

I am sure there are resources in your community that your case worker and staff are just not aware of, not investigating, not advocating for you to gain access to those resources.

Clarice

FSWer, could you show these posts to your staff or case worker? They might be able to find out about some of the things treesprite suggested.

FSWer

FSWer, could you show these posts to your staff or case worker? They might be able to find out about some of the things treesprite suggested.

I have asked for more Skating. But I only have the money to go once a month. I'd rather not show this thread to my Staff or Case Worker,for fear of getting in trouble. I only tell you guys because...well....I trust you guys. You have been so nice to me,and we have chatted for years. oooooooooooo xxxxxxxxxxxx :)

treesprite

All I can say is that getting better at skating will only happen if you practice skating. A message forum will not make you better at skating, no matter how much good advice and tips people give to you. Every tip about what to do while on the ice, is completely pointless if you are not on the ice to practice.

We are all supportive of you skating. Everyone wants to see you progress, and I think some of us, at least me, is frustrated that your people have not found a way for you to have more ice time. There are ways to make it happen if you advocate for yourself as much with them as you do with us. Caseworkers and staff are working for you and you are their boss, not the other way around. Part of their job is to find resources for you, so that you can fulfill your needs and goals. If they are not actively trying to find those resources for you, they are not doing their jobs. If they are not doing what you need them to do, you have a right to talk to their bosses about your concerns. Nothing bad will happen to you if you speak up for yourself. They can't take anything away from you and can't treat you badly just because you advocate for yourself, express yourself, or even tell them what you think they should do for you. It is okay to show them the forum posts. If anything, showing them your posts on the forum will demonstrate to them how much you truly do want to skate, because this is a dream you have had for a number of years, not just some passing little whim. They should take your dream as seriously as you do.

treesprite

One reason I they say there is not enough money for more than once a month, is that there is confusion between paying the high cost of a lesson and just paying for admission to the rink to practice on your own. The other reason I think they say there isn't enough money for more than once a month, is that it gives them an excuse to not take you more than once a month.

Please understand that I have worked in this field for many years. I know staff who make excuses to keep from having to do their jobs as fully as they could, and it bothers me to no end. I make a lot of personal sacrifices to do my job, because I feel like I was led to this job for a higher reason than just to get a paycheck. I change my schedule almost on a daily basis when needed, to match the changing needs and desires of clients. I made my adult son have Xmas without me so I could take a client on a Xmas trip for several days out of state, so she wouldn't be upset about her family being on a trip without her. Her family doesn't encourage her musical expression, so I bought both of us ukeleles so we could learn together, and last week we put it in her new IP. I made friends with clients' friends and take them on social outings with us when clients request it, I go where they want to go, do what they want to do, teach them new fun things, and other things. If your staff can't even find a way for you to go to a public session to practice on your own once a week, there is something wrong with them.

Last edited:

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I think we all need to take a step back here.

We know @FSWer has limited options to skate. We know that we can’t change this. So what can we - and he - do?

We (and he) can see that for FSWer skating is about the journey, not the results. He may never be able to “advance” in the traditional sense. But he CAN do a lot with his skating.

He can know the joy of doing his first two foot hop.

He can know the joy of gliding across the ice. Especially when he learns to do it on one foot!

He can learn how it feels to skate with a partner, even if that partner is his coach and not an Olympian.

He can enjoy the particular smell and atmosphere of a rink, knowing that the people who he loves to watch skate enjoy the same thing when they go to the rink.

He can listen to his coach and learn. Practice things off ice and be proud the next time he’s able to skate to show them what he’s worked on.

He can show everyone that he loves to skate.

I think in some ways, FSWer, that we are all collectively doing you a disservice. Because your resources to skate are what they are. We all love you and want you to be able to pursue your dream, but the reality for you - as it is for all of us - is that your training is limited by the amount of time and money available to you.

So appreciate what you can do. Enjoy every second on the ice. Practice off ice - singing if you want (I do). And each time you get the chance, come back and share what you are doing do that we can :cheer: and experience a little bit of your joy.

<3

FSWer

I think we all need to take a step back here.

We know @FSWer has limited options to skate. We know that we can’t change this. So what can we - and he - do?

We (and he) can see that for FSWer skating is about the journey, not the results. He may never be able to “advance” in the traditional sense. But he CAN do a lot with his skating.

He can know the joy of doing his first two foot hop.

He can know the joy of gliding across the ice. Especially when he learns to do it on one foot!

He can learn how it feels to skate with a partner, even if that partner is his coach and not an Olympian.

He can enjoy the particular smell and atmosphere of a rink, knowing that the people who he loves to watch skate enjoy the same thing when they go to the rink.

He can listen to his coach and learn. Practice things off ice and be proud the next time he’s able to skate to show them what he’s worked on.

He can show everyone that he loves to skate.

I think in some ways, FSWer, that we are all collectively doing you a disservice. Because your resources to skate are what they are. We all love you and want you to be able to pursue your dream, but the reality for you - as it is for all of us - is that your training is limited by the amount of time and money available to you.

So appreciate what you can do. Enjoy every second on the ice. Practice off ice - singing if you want (I do). And each time you get the chance, come back and share what you are doing do that we can :cheer: and experience a little bit of your joy.

<3

Ok everyone. I just had my Meeting,and they said that it's my choice if I want to pay &100.00,and they understand that it's because Nick is a Professional. I told them too that Nick says I'm improving. I still have to arrange my next Lesson with my Girl Coach. BTW. just so you all know. I am very sensitive to people saying the wrong thing. So, there have been some things said that have hurt me. I understand you guys can't completely help me. But I DO know that a LOT of you are Skaters or Competitors,and have helped a lot of other members here and know what you are talking about. Also,for me,Skating is about reaching my Goal, having fun,and hopefully getting results.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer I'm sorry if some of the posts here have upset you. But please understand that when someone tells you that something you want to do may be difficult or impossible or dangerous - they are not trying to be mean to you or trying to ruin your dream. They are just trying to help you understand what is possible, so that you won't get frustrated at trying something that might not work.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Ok everyone. I just had my Meeting,and they said that it's my choice if I want to pay &100.00,and they understand that it's because Nick is a Professional. I told them too that Nick says I'm improving.

@FSWer I don't quite understand this. Is the $100 to pay Nick for more lessons than what you are getting now?

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
FSWer: believe me, no-one here is trying to deliberately hurt your feelings. When we talk about how you have to learn basic skating skills and become comfortable skating on your own at this stage in your skating life, we're not trying to spoil your dream. We're trying to be honest that skating can be a difficult sport, and you have to learn the basics first before you can move on to more difficult skills.

All of us have been beginners at one time or another; in fact, in my case, I'm beginning again with these new ice dancing skates, because my adjustment to them has been very difficult and I haven't been able to skate as much as I'd like or have many lessons over the past year. I know I'm going to have to work very hard on simple stroking and edges and other basic moves that I've learned before but that are more difficult for me now. In fact, I'll be very honest with you - my previous coach didn't make sure I learned my basics very well, she'd get me through a skill, and even if it wasn't that good, she'd move on to the next skill. I really regret that this happened; I should have stopped her and asked to work more on the basics, because these new skates have really made me aware of how my basic skills are not really great. Skating takes time and patience and hard work for all of us. And we all want you to succeed and be the best skater you can be. Again, we're honestly trying to help you based on our own experience, including our successes and our mistakes. We really do support you!

FSWer

Hey my Friends!!!! I just had my next lesson with my Girl Coach yesterday...and I have a GREAT Report!!!! I am so proud of myself!!! Here it is.....We worked on my 2-Foot Hop.I also did my 1-Foot Glide... all by myself!!! We worked on Swizzles, 2-Foot Spinning. As well as trying for the first time...Skating in a Sitting persision. She also worked with me on my heel-toe. I also got to try gliding holding her hand...and actually did it with almost no pressure on her. We also tried something new...Combos (I did 3 things)..Hopping,Spinning and Gliding forward. I look forward to posting my next Report.

FSWer

Ya,I wore short Sweatpants to try and improve my One-Foot so I wouldn't trip. Now,if I can just figure out how to tranfure my balance to one foot, and prevent a delay between getting my balance and falling on my rare...it would be great.

Clarice

That was a good idea about the sweat pants. I've tripped and fallen catching my toe pick in the hem of yoga pants, and it's no fun! I don't skate in those any more!

FSWer

Thanks. LOL., now if I can just figure out how to catch my balance once on one-Foot...it would be great. Because, I've been a little norvous about falling.

Last edited:

FSWer

Hi again guys!!!!! Sorry it took a while for me to get back on. But it was frustrating to get through the upgrade. Anyway,my girl coach takes me on the 24th for my lesson. She is also taking me in April. Nick also has a surprise for me in May....BOY!!!!! I am surely making friends as a Skater!!! I also must say that I got a book on becoming an Ice-Dancer too. Which should at least help me with research. Once again I'd like to thank all of you for helping me to work to fulfill my dream. BTW. were did the Icons come from?

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
You’d probably have to live close to your rink for that. Although I do know some male coaches will travel to places where they need partners for ice dance tests.

FSWer

Guess what guys? We need to reschedule,but....Purpleskates and I are going to meet at one of my lessons.

FSWer

say,i was wondering how many people here are really proud of me? because,i know we don't really know each other for real,and only from this board. but to me...chatting with you all for the longest time has really made you guys feel like family to me. you guys have helped me out a lot. we have become so close. i sure hope to meet one of you very soon.

treesprite

I am proud of everyone who is brave enough to start figure skating as an adult! I think it is great that you are sticking with your plan too, and staying motivated.

Clarice

I agree with treesprite! I'm proud of all of us for getting out there to work on our skills. There's always something we can make better, and there's always something new to learn.

FSWer

Ok guys....here is my next report. I saw Nick today,and he worked with me on m swizzles,and showed me some excerizes to do at home to straighen my mussles. I even got to meet a full-fledged senior Ice-Dance Team and compliment them. I can only say that if I can only make it past getting my toes to touch and my on-foot glide, it'd be cool!!! Btw. Nick was hosting a skating clinic. What's the difference between a clinic and learn to skate?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information