UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

FSWer

Ok everyone!!! Since I've told you all a lot about my Dream to learn to Ice-Dance, I just thought I'd start a thread to keep you all updated on what will be happening with me. So,to start you all off...(and nothing is %100 yet). I spoke with my Case Worker and my Staff,who both seem very happy for me!! I just need to have my annual Meeting to talk about getting me back into Learn to Skate long enough. LOL. Hopefully I'll be able to get somebody there to help work me towards it. I'll post here about what we talk about and decide. Please...wish me LUCK!!!!!

FSWer

Thanks icie. I also just want to take the time to thank all you members for supporting me. You all don't know how much that means to me. :)

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Totally wish you the best and it all works out for you, FSWer! That's wonderful! :cheer2:

Kecasyl

Good luck in pursuing your dream of one day ice dancing!:respec: From experience, it's the best! :encore:

FSWer

Say,Do we have any Ice-Dancers here who live near me? I live in connecticut in the Hartford area.

Spun Silver

Best of luck! It's happening in the middle of the US National Figure Skating Championships. That has to have good vibes for your meeting.

FSWer

Hello again everyone!!! I just had my Meeting today and my Case Worker and I both brought up Ice-Dancing and we talked about Learn To Skate,when my Rink has it,and when I go Skating,and all....and here's out next step...My Case Worker is going to call the Skating Director and inquire about Ice-Dancing. BTW. does anyone know if you nesiserally HAVE to pass in Learn to Skate first?....OR is it actually possible to be taught how to Ice-Dance by just going to see the right coach and being gifted?..Would it be just as easy as me showing an Ice-Dance coach just what I can do? By showing them how I do a Killian-Hold with another Skater for eg.?

Kecasyl

NO. You have to go through learn to skate classes or at least do learn to skate levels with a private coach through lessons and passing test etc before they will let you even think about trying ice dance.

Clarice

FSWer, we've been over this before. In order to learn the first ice dance you have to be able to do forward stroking, forward swing rolls (which means you have to be able to glide on one foot), and forward progressives (which are very much like forward crossovers). If you can do those things, you can learn the first ice dance. If you can't, you have to learn them first, either in a Learn to Skate class or from a private coach.

Skittl1321

You could work with an ice dance coach without taking learn to skate. However, it would not be possible to succeed in ice dancing without first being able to do the moves taught in Basic Skills Learn to Skate.

The only thing skipping Learn to Skate to work with a private ice dance coach would do is cost more to learn basic skills. Private coaches cost a lot more than Learn to Skate lessons.

TheGirlCanSkate

You can pay an ice dance coach to teach you how to skate the basics you can learn in LTS. They won't care about holds or you having a partner; they will be teaching you basic skills if you don't have them.

I forgot to say, Good luck! I hope the staff conversations with the rink happen fast and you are placed in the best spot for you (either private lessons or classes).

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer , ice dancing isn't just being able to do the holds. Like @Clarice says, even to do the most simple ice dances, you have to be able to do basic skating like forward stroking and gliding on one foot. And you have to be able to do those well to be good at ice dancing.

I don't mean to be rude or to discourage you from your dream, but - you will be wasting your money, and you will get frustrated and discouraged, if you sign up for ice-dancing lessons with a coach before learning the skills that are taught in Learn to Skate. You don't have to formally pass all of Learn to Skate to start working on ice dance. But you need to learn a lot of the skills in the Learn to Skate program to do ice dancing. Even the most gifted skaters need to have good basic skills.

Your skating will be much better and much more enjoyable if you start by working on the Learn to Skate skills, and only start learning ice dance when your Learn to Skate instructor thinks you are ready.

TheGirlCanSkate

I wouldn't be concerned about signing up with an ice dance coach first. It will be expensive but they aren't going to anything but basic skills to a beginner. It's just a lot of money to pay for basic skills if you aren't going to skate 3 times or more a week. And your lessons will probably happen on public ice which again - it's a lot of money to pay a coach if it is really crowded. Classes are good because they are paced to practice the day of and another day during the week. That is why progress is a little slower, but you gain some confidence.

FSWer

@FSWer , ice dancing isn't just being able to do the holds. Like @Clarice says, even to do the most simple ice dances, you have to be able to do basic skating like forward stroking and gliding on one foot. And you have to be able to do those well to be good at ice dancing.

I don't mean to be rude or to discourage you from your dream, but - you will be wasting your money, and you will get frustrated and discouraged, if you sign up for ice-dancing lessons with a coach before learning the skills that are taught in Learn to Skate. You don't have to formally pass all of Learn to Skate to start working on ice dance. But you need to learn a lot of the skills in the Learn to Skate program to do ice dancing. Even the most gifted skaters need to have good basic skills.

Your skating will be much better and much more enjoyable if you start by working on the Learn to Skate skills, and only start learning ice dance when your Learn to Skate instructor thinks you are ready.

LOL. I'm sure your right about it MORE than JUST holds. But like I sometimes tell people around here...come on....ICE-DANCING!!! LOL. That should be the EASIEST Discipline to interpret!!!!!...LOL. can you Skate?...Can you Dance?....You can Ice Dance. I sure believe in myself.

Kecasyl

LOL. I'm sure your right about it MORE than JUST holds. But like I sometimes tell people around here...come on....ICE-DANCING!!! LOL. That should be the EASIEST Discipline to interpret!!!!!...LOL. can you Skate?...Can you Dance?....You can Ice Dance. I sure believe in myself.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but ice dance is actually one of the hardest disciplines to do. I know, I've been there done that for many years. It's not just about being able to dance and skate. It's totally the opposite and there's a lot to that goes into it that is incredibly complex. I think you have the wrong idea about what Ice Dancing really is.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer , ice dancing is not easy. @Kecasyl is right - it is probably one of the hardest disciplines in skating. When you are doing a compulsory dance (pattern dance), you have to do the right steps, on the right edge, on the right pattern, *and* do all that in time to the music. It's not at all like dancing off-ice, where you can do whatever the music makes you feel like doing. And even in the free dance, ice dancers have to go very fast while also skating on clean edges and doing their steps correctly.

Anyone can skate around on the ice and move to the music that's playing. But that's not really what ice dance is. And that's not what a coach will teach you if you want to learn ice dancing.

@FSWer, it's great that you believe in yourself. But again, without being rude and without trying to discourage you, I think you have to understand what ice dance is if you want to learn to be an ice dancer.

Last edited:

Clarice

FSWer, nobody here wants you to give up on your dream. But you have to get there one step at a time. You can't just BE an ice dancer. The first step in becoming one is to learn your basic skating skills. You can do that in a Learn to Skate class, or with a private coach. Learning things like stroking and gliding on one foot is the first step to becoming an ice dancer. I hope that you are able to work with someone who can help you learn those things.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
FSWer - I was a very low level freestyle skater for several years - had a toeloop and salchow but was not a good spinner, and my basics needed work. I made the move to dance a about 3 years ago, and while my lessons are on and off due to my coach being a competitive skater, I have never worked so hard in my life on blades! We completely started over - basic stroking, edges, etc. I am progressing very slowly (I should explain that I am 58 years old, not a youngster), but my skating is SO much better than it used to be. Dance is DEFINITELY one of the harder disciplines; like others before me have pointed out, your steps and edges have to be very precise.

You definitely need to get strong very basic skating skills first. I made the mistake of staying in freestyle too long and quite frankly, I didn't get taught the best basics so I had to go back to the beginning. It has been worth it to do so - the stronger my basic skating, the better dancer I will be. Best of luck to you, and get those basics down first!!!!

Skittl1321

can you Skate?...Can you Dance?....You can Ice Dance. I sure believe in myself.

FSWer - it's great you believe in yourself. But you even said it yourself here: you must be able to skate before you are able to dance. You are wanting to skip a step: you must learn to be able to skate well first.

Please don't think just because there is no jumping that ice dancing is easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information