UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

KCC

I smile so much reading your messages! You make it so exciting for all of us to follow along your journey to become an ice dancer. I'm thrilled for you!

FSWer

Ok my friends!!! Nick has been away for a bit. So,I've been working with my 2nd Coach. So here's my update on my Ice-Dancing...with her....She has taken me on 2 or 3 times already. We really enjoy working together. LOL., I won't say her name...Only that she IS a former Freestyler turned Coach. I must say too that Newington Arena is switching to a new computer system, that will allow them to post the entire month. So,at this point I'm hoping to meet up with her again in Sept. I have to check in with her on Sept.,1rst.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Well, we are both at the same level test-wise. I'm 52 and he's a bit older than me, so we are doing the pattern dances. No free dance, lifts, twizzles or spins for us! We are going to compete the Willow Waltz and the Hickory Hoedown at our first competition. These are lower level dances.

To give you a comparison to your favorite dancer Tessa, she has passed about 15 more dance tests than we have. That may not seem like a lot, but it truly is!

Anyway, our coach (who won national medals in dance in the 1990s), started us out with stroking and other skills on our own. Then we did some partner stroking and skills, and finally we worked on some of the dances. Because both of us already know how to do the dances, it was more getting used to skating with each other than learning the dance itself. He's an experienced dance partner, so that helps.

It felt weird to me to skate that close to someone else. I do solo dance and synchro - with synchro we are an arms length away from each other. With dance, we are really close. A couple of times I was worried about kicking him, and once I kicked myself! Fortunately, I didn't cut my skin.

I enjoyed it. There's a lot for me to learn about skating with someone at close range. I hope we will make it to Adult Nationals - that's the plan - but I have a whole lot to learn. :)

Last edited:

FSWer

Looking forward to your report!

Wait no longer guys...here it is!!!!...today my other coach worked with me on standing on 1-Foot for a bit. I must admit that I need to get used there, to not having anything to hold onto. So I can do it Center-Ice. She also worked with me on the 2-Foot-Hop. She also showed me how to stop a bit. As well as a bit of backwards skating. I have to get used to getting speed up there. Nick should be back Ocr.,14th.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer if you practice standing on one foot off-ice, without holding onto anything, it will really help you balance on one foot when you are on the ice. Practice standing on each foot in turn, and each time try to hold it longer than the previous time.

Shyjosie

...yas, overedge is right - ...practise standing on one foot off ice, and bend your knee while doing so, it will give you strong leg muscle!

Your reports read like you had a good time in the ice!

FSWer

...yas, overedge is right - ...practise standing on one foot off ice, and bend your knee while doing so, it will give you strong leg muscle!

Your reports read like you had a good time in the ice!

Bend the knee of the leg I'm standing on??

TheGirlCanSkate

Bend the knee of the leg I'm standing on??
Yes, it is something to work up to.

I am not good standing on one leg with the other extended behind me on dry land. I work on it regularly. On land, if you start wobble, put a finger on your belly button. It's what my gym coaches told me to do. Oddly, it does help! To make it extra hard, I close my eyes. And sometimes I bend my standing leg. Doing different things works different muscles. If something starts to feel easy you can try different positions or stand for a longer amount of time.

FSWer

Yes, it is something to work up to.

I am not good standing on one leg with the other extended behind me on dry land. I work on it regularly. On land, if you start wobble, put a finger on your belly button. It's what my gym coaches told me to do. Oddly, it does help! To make it extra hard, I close my eyes. And sometimes I bend my standing leg. Doing different things works different muscles. If something starts to feel easy you can try different positions or stand for a longer amount of time.

So,bend my knee,lift my other leg up,bend it,and put it aganst my skating leg, right?

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
So,bend my knee,lift my other leg up,bend it,and put it aganst my skating leg, right?

Yes, keep the foot you are lifting close to the other leg. My first coach called it "boot to boot." Keep the skating boot of the foot you've lifted close to the foot of the skating foot/boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information