(Updated) Denis Ten Murdered: was stabbed in the thigh

Sarah

I don't even know what to write. What a horrible senseless loss. He was so young. RIP Denis.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
A number of skating people have tweeted about this tragedy:

Jeremy Abbott‏Verified account @jeremyabbottpcf 32m32 minutes ago

You are so missed my friend I have tried a hundred different ways to find the word, but there aren’t enough adjectives to describe how incredible this man was, and there is no language…

Charlie White‏Verified account @CharlieaWhite 26m26 minutes ago
More

Thank you for always being so very much yourself, Denis. You were loved and appreciated by so many. My heart is with your family, and to everyone that felt the kindness and inspiration Denis brought into the world.

Johnny Weir‏Verified account @JohnnyGWeir 42m42 minutes ago

Completely devastated by the passing of Denis Ten. He was as bright and kind as he was talented. This is such an incredible loss and tragedy. My heart is with his family and loved ones.

Patrick Chan‏Verified account @Pchiddy 35m35 minutes ago
More

I feel so honored and grateful to have shared the ice with @Tenis_Den. One of the most beautiful skaters to have graced our sport. My thoughts are with his family during this unimaginable time. I feel so lucky to have made memories with Denis that I will cherish forever...

Anita18

It depends!
“Senseless” doesn’t even begin to describe this.

I’ll never forget seeing his performance at 2009 Worlds, live. Here was this 15-yo nobody kid from a nowhere country (in terms of skating) who skated absolutely perfectly, complete with triple axels. I thought, “No matter what scores the judges give him because he’s a nobody, he’ll always have this.”

Watching his competitive journey was a roller coaster, but he was always such a great skater. He had so much life to live yet. Jesus. Only 25.

vgerdes

From Adam Rippon:

"My skating friend, @Tenis_Den, passed away today. He was so kind to everyone and a huge inspiration to me and so many other people. Murdered in the streets of Kazakhstan. Denis, thank you for showing us how to be a champion. Your time with us was way too short. Love you forever."

Honestly, I'm really having a hard time absorbing this. He was so young.

Bellanca

Words fall short of expressing my sorrow for the loss of Denis. Life is so precious, and this was such a senseless, cowardly act of violence which has left me stunned and heartbroken.

The figure skating community will never forget our beautiful Denis. My deepest condolences to Denis Ten’s family and friends.

VGThuy

I simply have no words. I can't wrap my mind around it right now. This news is just so shocking and tragic.

missing

Here are some more tweets:

Aljona Savchenko‏ @aljona1984 22m22 minutes ago

RIP Ne mogy poverit daje ne xo4y..... po4emyyyyyy????prosto net slov ........ tolko slezu ....Denis Ten, you were one of the nicest people i’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. I can’t believe this is has happened to you! Your memory will live on. We will always love you, Denis.

VALENTINA MARCHEI‏Verified account @valemarchei14 31m31 minutes ago
More

Hard to find the right words to describe how special Denis was. A big heart, a beautiful soul. Rest In Peace, Denis Keep on shining..wherever you are

Camden Pulkinen‏ @CamdenPulk 19m19 minutes ago
More

• I remember watching Denis at 2014 Sochi Olympics. He was my first idol. The few times I was got to share the ice with him, I saw and felt the power he exuded. He inspired many skaters, and his legacy will live on in future generations to come. Rest In Peace Denis Ten. #denisten

Adam Rippon

My skating friend, @Tenis_Den, passed away today. He was so kind to everyone and a huge inspiration to me and so many other people. Murdered in the streets of Kazakhstan. Denis, thank you for showing us how to be a champion. Your time with us was way too short. Love you forever.

Mirai Nagasu‏Verified account @mirai_nagasu 17m17 minutes ago
More

The news of @Tenis_Den ‘s murder hits especially hard for me since I used to train with him. His commitment to his training was something I always admired. It’s hard to believe he is no longer with us and that he’ll no longer be able to share his talents with us.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
In shock like everyone else - senseless tragedies happen I know, but I still can't actually believe it. No way. :( Just writing RIP for him feels surreal and wrong.

quartz

scratching at the light
I was privileged to be in the arena for 2013 Worlds when he won his silver - it was absolutely brilliant and unforgettable.
Thank you D10, for being the little kid from Kazakhstan who became a big, bright, shining star in our world.

(I can't keep the tears from my eyes)

kedrin

I’ll never forget seeing his performance at 2009 Worlds, live. Here was this 15-yo nobody kid from a nowhere country (in terms of skating) who skated absolutely perfectly, complete with triple axels.

This. Such an amazing skater. Way too young.

SamuraiK

I just found out !! My english is not so good to express how empty it felt when reading the news.. My fandom kinda grew up with D10. I still remember that precocious sweet kid rocking at 2009 Worlds.. He gave so much to the sport. And now is all lost for nothing.

Im torn
:(:(:(

skatesindreams

I was privileged to be in the arena for 2013 Worlds when he won his silver - it was absolutely brilliant and unforgettable.
Thank you D10, for being the little kid from Kazakhstan who became a big, bright, shining star in our world.

(I can't keep the tears from my eyes)
Thank you, my friend!

missing

Some more tweets:

Jason Brown‏Verified account @jasonbskates 29s29 seconds ago
More

• Denis never ceased 2 amaze me. His hard work/artistic/brilliance/kindness/passion 4 skating/ were unmatched. • Heartbroken by the news Sending thoughts & 2 his family. The community lost some1 very special. It will never b the same. Miss & love u 4ever @Tenis_Den

Scott Hamilton‏Verified account @ScottHamilton84 3m3 minutes ago
More

• My heart is heavy this morning as I learned of the loss of Denis Ten. May we all lift his family & friends in prayer and remember the legacy he leaves in figure skating.

Jackie Wong‏ @rockerskating 18m18 minutes ago
More

Denis Ten died today after being stabbed in an attempted robbery. He was 25. . He was an incredible skater and a super talent. In my few interactions with him, Denis was gracious and kind, always happy to chat about anything. His is a loss beyond words. Denis, you are loved.

kwanatic

This is beyond shocking and sad.

Denis seemed like such a kind and sweet person to everyone who knew him. For him to be taken from this world in such a senseless and violent way is truly heartbreaking. My prayers are with his family, friends, and all who loved him.

Firedancer

OMG! I am shocked! Denis was a beautiful skater and will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Denis! :(:(:(

nimi

I'm still loss for words... Like Kaitlyn & Andrew wrote on twitter, just "No. No. No." :(

(And I didn't even know him IRL. My heart goes out to everybody who did.)

Brezina
I woke up to the news of sadness why are there ppl in this world that would do this! We went to our first GP together and now this is how it ends not fair! R.I.P Denis

Meagan
Unbelievable. He was so young and full of life. Terrible disheartening news this morning

DFJ

I just read this and thought it was some kind of a sick joke. Good lord, his poor family and friends. What an incredible loss to the skating world.

yossalu

This is simply devastating. He was a prodigy who burst onto the skating scene with mind-blowing performances at the age of 15, a determined athlete who worked through endless injuries, a surprise World & Olympic medalist, a tireless ambassador for Olympic sports in his nation, and one of the greatest artists in figure skating. I can't believe we'll never see another performance from him.

His long from 2013 Worlds was simply brilliant. I think I'll watch it and cry once again. https://youtu.be/iwdb-QbCsQs

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information