*Update* World Junior Figure Skating Championships now assigned to Tallinn

skatingguy

decently
@Hanna just mentioned this in PBP.

ISU Statement

The ISU is continually monitoring the sanitary and entry conditions in countries hosting ISU Events, as well as travel restrictions around the World. In regard to the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022 scheduled to be held on March 7-13, 2022, the ISU has been alerted to a potentially high number of Covid-19 infections among participants, and also local organizers, due to the Omricon wave which is expected to peak in Bulgaria during the scheduled period of the Championships. The ISU furthermore noted that the currently valid entry restrictions to Bulgaria could seriously complicate the entry into the country of participants from certain countries and age groups. Finally, the ISU acknowledged the currently valid, rigorous quarantine requirements in the case of positive or close contact cases, which is a particularly sensitive matter for a Junior Event that includes minors.

Unfortunately, considering the above-mentioned complicated epidemic situation, the ISU Council decided that the Event cannot be held as planned on March 7-13, 2022 in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Mindful that the 2021 edition of this Junior World Championships also had to be cancelled, with the potential result of Junior Skaters not being able to compete at the World Championships level for two consecutive seasons, and with the perspective of an easing pandemic situation during the Spring, the ISU Council is currently evaluating the feasibility of postponing the Event until May 2022. Consultation is ongoing with the Bulgarian Skating Federation and the participating ISU Members as to their intentions for participation in case of a postponement until May. A decision is expected by the next online ISU Council meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2022.

The ISU regrets that the staging of the Event is not possible as planned and thanks the Bulgarian Skating Federation for their efforts and cooperation and the participating ISU Members for their understanding.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Strange that they are blaming this on the Omicron wave that will peak in March - Worldometers shows that cases peaked around 8800 at the end of Jan and have gone down to 6100 now???

Jammers

This is just bullshit. Somehow japan managed to host the Olympics as is China but Bulgaria can't hold a competition that will only last not even half as long? Face it this virus is always going to be around it's time to stop avoiding it like it's the plague.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This is just bullshit. Somehow japan managed to host the Olympics as is China but Bulgaria can't hold a competition that will only last not even half as long? Face it this virus is always going to be around it's time to stop avoiding it like it's the plague.
Japan canceled the Grand Prix finals (jr & Sr). Look at the measures that China has taken for the Olys. The crud situation worsened since summer/early fall 2021 lull. Let’s hope that Worlds can take place in France…I’m not holding my breath.

Rob

Beach Bum
Strange that they are blaming this on the Omicron wave that will peak in March - Worldometers shows that cases peaked around 8800 at the end of Jan and have gone down to 6100 now???
Also says “potentially high number of Covid-19 infections among participants, and also local organizers” - potentially high?

AYS

🌻
According to from ~3 weeks ago, Bulgaria is one of the hardest hit countries by the current omicron wave (and is the least vaccinated country in the EU). Maybe they just don't feel like they can count on things normalizing sufficiently by the March timeline.

barbarafan

how many cases have not been reported?Many PPL do not know they have Omicron & just spread it if they do not have symptoms. I have not seen or been told of anywhere you should report it. I am old with a serious autoimmune disease wherby my doctors had consult to decide if I would be ok to take the vaccines and my husband has serious COPD. We both had 2 Pziser vaccine shots and had appointments for the booster. My son got his booster one morning and was sick that night. We had been given rapid tests by our pharmacy so my son tested that night positive and tested again next day positive. He went and got the test at test centre and had my husband and I do the rapid tests. We were both positive.....No symptoms. We all quarantined and my son would be in the statistics but my Husband and I not.

Stephanie

I'm so sad for all the affected skaters. :cry: I hope the event is able to happen this season since a number of these skaters need the world standings points and chance at an improved season's best score if they want to move up to the senior GP next year.

It does seem odd as Bulgaria just hosted an event last weekend (Sofia Trophy) and this weekend alone there are three events happening in Europe (Winter Star, Dragon Trophy, and Jegvirag Cup).

The only silver lining that I can come up with so far is that hopefully Ilia Malinin will be less exhausted come worlds since he will only have to do two events in a one-month period as opposed to three.

Yyzskater

They may just not have the ability or want to put in the Covid protocols that ISU may be requiring for an international competition. All these protocols cost money and there is no money to be made at Jr level competitions, even if it is Worlds.

mjb52

I can't decide if it would be epic or a total $hitshow to combine junior and senior worlds this year 😂 would malinin be the only skated in both? is sud de france booked the following week??

This is a cool idea, if it's plausible. Unless they are trying to keep the event in Bulgaria, just later in the year?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The ISU needs to do its level best to make this event happen. Too many skaters were going to be counting on the WS points they gain from Jr Worlds next season as they transition to seniors.

It doesn't really surprise me that Bulgaria pulled out of hosting but I really hope another federation is able to step up at the last minute. Lots of skaters will be negatively affected.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Better to postpone than cancel (and it could still get canceled if the situation worsens).

sk9tingfan

Per the latest ISU press release, there is a big possibility that Senior Worlds may be postponed until May. I cannot even imagine what this will do in terms of retirements as well as the possible absence of certain skaters who are already committed to tours such as Stars on Ice.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Per the latest ISU press release, there is a big possibility that Senior Worlds may be postponed until May. I cannot even imagine what this will do in terms of retirements as well as the possible absence of certain skaters who are already committed to tours such as Stars on Ice.

There is NOTHING in the press release that mentions SENIOR Worlds. It is all about Jr Worlds.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992

Link? Which release is this? The one about Junior Worlds just talks about Junior Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information