Unpopular Opinions

Bigbird

I don’t get the wildly high GOEs and PCS for Sinitsina/Katsalopov.

WRT wedgies, Kostner had them ALL the time, she was the queen of poorly fitted costumes.
Koster had skills so we barely cared about the wedgies. With all my love for Vika's fans by the end of the program technique hitteth the fan and all one can see is a distracting wedgie.#facepalm.

Elisheba

Miming with Medvedeva
Koster had skills so we barely cared about the wedgies. With all my love for Vika's fans by the end of the program technique hitteth the fan and all one can see is a distracting wedgie.#facepalm.
I don’t recall the forums at the time, but to be honest, I have a hard time imagining FSU barely caring about wedgies under any circumstances.

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't like longer skirts in ladies singles - like Valieva's wears. Something about it just seems out of place in that discipline.
Long skirts are not that problem when it comes to Tutberidze's skaters, it's the "more is more" approach that leaves me wondering if anyone there has any taste at all.

I don’t recall the forums at the time, but to be honest, I have a hard time imagining FSU barely caring about wedgies under any circumstances.
Barely cared = most people loved her anyway.

Except @PRlady, who is famously wrong on the subject of Kostner :p

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Long skirts are not that problem when it comes to Tutberidze's skaters, it's the "more is more" approach that leaves me wondering if anyone there has any taste at all.

Barely cared = most people loved her anyway.

Except @PRlady, who is famously wrong on the subject of Kostner :p
I never hated her. It was the cult of the goddess Kostner, of which you were one of the high priestesses, that made me so ornery.

screech

Oh yes. Such pretty girls, such awful costumes.
Someone needs to teach Eteri the old saying of when you get dressed, look in the mirror and remove one accessory. Except for them it'd be remove one unnecessary criss-cross strap, or adornment, or gloves that don't match the rest of the costume...

It almost makes me laugh that the classiest/most simplistic of Tutberidze girls costumes over the last few years is Anna Scherbakova's Firebird costume change dress (though as a whole she generally has the least 'overdone' of the costumes from that team)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Some of the color combos are just :eek:

But nothing is as bad as the OES (or OAS?) with the mustard, olive and chartreuse combination.

DreamSkates

:p
But we take notice and remember them. They stand out compared to other skaters. That's one more feather in their cap of "give me more points, I'm different." Zagitova's tutu's for example, ugly as they were, made her different from Med.

DreamSkates

A sign of power?? :p I always saw them as a sign of a poor dressmaker or a skater who refuses to admit that they need a few more inches of fabric to cover their butt.
Well you do have "bark less wag more" with your post so that is one way of wagging.

screech

But we take notice and remember them. They stand out compared to other skaters. That's one more feather in their cap of "give me more points, I'm different." Zagitova's tutu's for example, ugly as they were, made her different from Med.
Which is ironic, since Medvedeva did it first of the two, and Zagitova wore Medvedeva's old dress a few years later for her first season with Don Quixote (and the next season won the Olympics with a new red dress that was seemingly modelled on that original one of Medvedeva's)
I didn't mind Zagitova's tutus, since she was skating to ballets. I do wish she didn't have them for both programs in the same year, but it's not like she wore a tutu while skating to a Beatles medley or anything.
As a whole, for an Eteri student, Zagitova did pretty well for costumes. Medvedeva tended to fall into the unfortunate category of Eteri students with unnecessary adornments.

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't remember them; the skaters and their costumes all blend together for me.

Anyway, Ilinykh's tutu was the best tutu.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Which is ironic, since Medvedeva did it first of the two, and Zagitova wore Medvedeva's old dress a few years later for her first season with Don Quixote (and the next season won the Olympics with a new red dress that was seemingly modelled on that original one of Medvedeva's)
I didn't mind Zagitova's tutus, since she was skating to ballets. I do wish she didn't have them for both programs in the same year, but it's not like she wore a tutu while skating to a Beatles medley or anything.
As a whole, for an Eteri student, Zagitova did pretty well for costumes. Medvedeva tended to fall into the unfortunate category of Eteri students with unnecessary adornments.
Med's black costume for Anna was better than the overdone red one she wore at the Olys. But she was such a good character actress she could have worn a leotard and gotten across the essence of the character's story.

(Why yes I was a Med uber, why do you ask?)

VGThuy

Honestly, the busier the outfit, the less I truly remember it. I may remember a detail or have a general image of it, but otherwise...that's a reason I have hard time remembering most of the Japanese costumes. They're just sparkle with weird asymmetrical gloves most of the times. Except for Miyahara, her costumes are always on-point.

The Korean girls dress like they're interchangeable and their packaging coaches try to make them that way, but then you see something as wonderful as Young You's 2021 Skate America LP skate and you realize you miss that kind of patient but very powerful and almost statuesque style of skating in a sea of Eteri that you can't imagine them dressed any other kind of way. That said, I can only tell you what her costume looked liked because it is so far my most re-watched skate of the season.

For the past ten years or so, U.S. Nationals felt like I was watching the Miss America pageant with the pageant style generic bling dresses. I'm speaking generally here as obviously when you had Czisny, Wagner, and even Gold among other skaters like Izzo competing, you're going to get some memorable cuts and different types of designs. I understand :bribe:is a factor, so I wished skaters had more affordable designers to choose from than the Lisa McKinnon types.

millyskate

Someone needs to teach Eteri the old saying of when you get dressed, look in the mirror and remove one accessory. Except for them it'd be remove one unnecessary criss-cross strap, or adornment, or gloves that don't match the rest of the costume...

It almost makes me laugh that the classiest/most simplistic of Tutberidze girls costumes over the last few years is Anna Scherbakova's Firebird costume change dress (though as a whole she generally has the least 'overdone' of the costumes from that team)
The costumes are functional. I recall the costume maker being interviewed once and mentioning something to the effect that the criss-cross straps ensure the dresses stay perfectly in place despite all the contortion and the gloves help the Bielmann variations. Nothing is left to chance...

VGThuy

Kostner was very on and off with her costumes. She would have some gorgeous ones and then some that were…”no, ma’am”.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don't even think it's unpopular, but I hate tutus in skating. The aesthetic doesn't translate as well to the ice as we'd like it to. Oksana Baiul's 1994 SP is about as tutu-ish skaters should get.

But then I appreciate maybe 10% of costumes in figure skating, in general. I might be severely picky.

I’ll remember that next time I post good things about P/C or H/D or other skaters you like. Seriously, we know you didn’t like Davis/White. Give it a rest, they’re long gone.

I love, LOVE dunking on D&W as much as the next biased Canadian, but it was the Med uber that did it for me. I'd try to joke about 2014 being too long ago, but I'm sure there's a battle about a '90s major competition being battled somewhere on the board... ;)

Kostner was very on and off with her costumes. She would have some gorgeous ones and then some that were…”no, ma’am”.

Even when I didn't love what @Dragonlady would note about Kostner's costumes, she always explained so well how wrong some of her costumes went.

But Carolina really did have some gems.

mjb52

I love, LOVE dunking on D&W as much as the next biased Canadian, but it was the Med uber that did it for me. I'd try to joke about 2014 being too long ago, but I'm sure there's a battle about a '90s major competition being battled somewhere on the board... ;)

Look, some of us just really loved Mishkutenok & Dimitriev ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information