Unpopular Opinions

skategal

Bunny mama
Something about P/C’s new FD (in particular the middle section) reminds me
of V/M’s Seasons FD. :shuffle:

And I can’t believe the coaching/choreography team is letting this happen. :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
I once posted that Kostornaia bored me, and thought that would be as an unpopular opinion as can be. But there was some agreement at the time:
I know everyone loves Kostornaia but she's so devoid of personality for me - it's all blandly pleasant.

Anyway (more popular opinion) I'd rather see Tuktamysheva at the Olympics than any of the other Russian women. She's not Carolina Kostner by any means, but it's a Kostner-like career trajectory in that we got to see her persevere through many ups and downs, and I'd rather enjoy a skater I've followed through the years than see how many quads Eteri's skaters can land.

nuge

I would rather watch a skating program to Carmen for the billionth time, than to Hallelujah.

In fact, hearing Hallelujah once was enough for me, I kind of hate it. And I feel vindicated to know that even Leonard Cohen doesn't think it's all that great.
I feel the same about Bolero. I can't bear it or watching anyone skating to it :shuffle:
Also I would like Ice dance going back to more closed holds .It's getting ridiculous the amount of separation in programmes. Remember the days of complaints Grishuk Platov being apart TOO long in the olympic Rock n roll FD?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Something about P/C’s new FD (in particular the middle section) reminds me
of V/M’s Seasons FD. :shuffle:

And I can’t believe the coaching/choreography team is letting this happen. :lol:
Funny enough I had that very thought this weekend.

skategal

Bunny mama
I'm not even sure you and I are on the same page based on your last sentence in the original post :lol:
Just thinking that they would try to avoid any and all potential comparisons to V/M this season.

And Seasons was roundly trashed by so many people. Even V/M themselves didn’t seem to care for it.

VGThuy

I feel the same about Bolero. I can't bear it or watching anyone skating to it :shuffle:
Also I would like Ice dance going back to more closed holds .It's getting ridiculous the amount of separation in programmes. Remember the days of complaints Grishuk Platov being apart TOO long in the olympic Rock n roll FD?
Remember when one of the Nicky Slater pointed out that G/P got dangerously close to exiting out of a tango hold and almost went into a Killian for their masterpiece Tango OD? I don’t think he was right, but I’d like the ISU technical committee to go back to basics and introduce one or even multiple prescribed holds for the technical/rhythm dance and let the FD run free but still evaluate difficulty of holds and variety of them and seamless transitions in and out of them.

Spiralgraph

D

Deleted member 221

Ladies skating reached its peak with Jill Trenary's 1990 free skate. :lol:

Michelle Kwan was a 5.7/5.8 kind of skater.

Politics are the best thing about ice dance.

Laetitia Hubert's "hooker on crack" program was a frickin' masterpiece

Gordeeva and Grinkov were often overmarked.

Ashley Wagner did not deserve to go to any Olympics.

The stigma around flutzes, underrotations, etc. is way overblown.

Eteri has beaten the system, and props to her for doing it, even if some of her skaters are barely watchable.

Canada (especially) and the US are as guilty of national bias as any Russian / former soviet federation.

Robin Wagner was crazy but seemed to be a good coach.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Eteri has beaten the system, and props to her for doing it, even if some of her skaters are barely watchable.

Canada (especially) and the US are as guilty of national bias as any Russian / former soviet federation.

If you lived close enough to me you would get slapped

However I do agree with your G&G response

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

I’m pretty much in agreement with everything except Trenary. What were you, 10 years old at the time? You’re suffering from middle school nostalgia of the kind that makes me think The Zombies were a good band.

canbelto

Here's another one: I think Gordeeva and Grinkov were ridiculously held up at times. They had beautiful basic skating skills and unison, but there were times they won when I wonder if the judges even watched their programs. The 1990 WC was like that.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I’m pretty much in agreement with everything except Trenary. What were you, 10 years old at the time?
Jill Trenary was THE epitome of ladies figure skating and embodied everything this sport should strive to be: feminine,graceful, stylish,athletic, and with immaculate school figures to boot.

I feel sorry you need to resort to juvenile retorts. God bless.

-BB

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here's another one: I think Gordeeva and Grinkov were ridiculously held up at times. They had beautiful basic skating skills and unison, but there were times they won when I wonder if the judges even watched their programs. The 1990 WC was like that.
The results were often predetermined. I was their big fan but even I felt at times that they were held up. Worlds 90 and Olympics 1994 are good examples of it. Even as pro it was taken for granted that they would win. They had some great pro performances that deserved the wins. At other times their errors were ignored.

Last edited:

sap5

I think you’re confusing original dance with me wanting an original step pattern (no lifts, no twizzles unless it’s part of your pattern, all footwork going around the rink -repeated two or three times). Nobody on this forum even knows what an OSP is much less wants what it back outside of hardcore ice dance fans who still talk about Klimova/Ponomarenko vs. Bestemianova/Bukin 1986. ;):p
I’d say there are enough people on this board who know what the OSP is to make this a popular opinion. This is FSU, not Twitter.

ETA: i see Ms. Zem already made this comment!

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I've enjoyed reading everyone else's comments so much I actually forgot what mine were and had to go back just now to read them.

I'm relieved to say I haven't changed my mind about any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information