U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Alyssa Liu was superb.

Following up, her skating has matured in strength with her body growing. Her arms are beautifully expressive and she carries herself so well across the ice.

I am so happy for her, she will be ready to fully compete against the other Senior Ladies this year, not just jump!

I am a huge fan of Karen Chen's, but I thought Alyssa kept up with her at the Peggy Fleming comp, I might have even had Alyssa first!

I thought Alysa was amazing at Nationals.... I could see growth at Nats!!

I cant wait to see her at GP!!!

jlai

Question everything
Alysa got dropped into two tough GP's. I wish the US had put her in Skate America. Surely they could have done some horse trading to get her there.
GPs don't count for anything much in the overall scheme of things; she may be better off competing in a tough field and stay out of the limelight. Remember Vincent Zhou had mediocre grand prixs before making it to the olympics in 2018 and then got world bronze the year after. GPs sound likea big deal now, but by the time nationals is over Skate America will be distant memory

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
It's not the end of the world, though. She has a lot to work on and will hopefully be a two-time olympian. Let the expectations be set reasonably with full view of all the relevant facts. If she does well against those stacked fiields that's amazing. If she's substantially off the leaders, then she knows what she has to work on and she won't have to deal with the pressure of being USA number one lady, only hope to beat the Russians.and Japanese.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
:huh: All USFS had to do was assign her to its own event. It chose not to do so.
It really makes little sense for USFS to not have Liu at SkAm. She probably won't make it to the GPF anyway, so why not have had her at their flagship international event? She'll probably place 4th at SkCan above Kihira and behind the Russians. Respectable, but in the scheme of things, she'd probably rather have a 4th at SkAm where she has friends/family/fans cheering her on.

Stephanie

It really makes little sense for USFS to not have Liu at SkAm. She probably won't make it to the GPF anyway, so why not have had her at their flagship international event? She'll probably place 4th at SkCan above Kihira and behind the Russians. Respectable, but in the scheme of things, she'd probably rather have a 4th at SkAm where she has friends/family/fans cheering her on.
Her team might have requested to not get Skate America. There's a lot more pressure and attention at the home event, so it's possible that her team wanted a calmer, more low-key start to her senior GP career. Plus, Vancouver is a 2.5-hour flight from the Bay Area, so assuming the borders reopen, her family and friends could make it to Skate Canada if they choose to.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Her team might have requested to not get Skate America. There's a lot more pressure and attention at the home event, so it's possible that her team wanted a calmer, more low-key start to her senior GP career. Plus, Vancouver is a 2.5-hour flight Bay Area, so assuming the borders reopen, her family and friends could make it to Skate Canada if they choose to.
This sounds like the likely scenario. I can't imagine USFS denying her SkAm. It just sucks that her GP has Valieva, Kostornaia, Kihira, AND Tuktamysheva. I've lost hope in Kihira, so I think Alysa will have a great shot at beating her. She probably should score over Tukt, but will probably have to suffer from lower PCS, deserved or not.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
And if that is what happened, I'm impressed all around. Maybe TPTB have learned from what Gracie went through and they're trying to give Alyssa the opportunity to make progress in bite-size pieces instead of throwing her to the wolves. She's already been through quite a bit winning Nationals than having the growth spurt. She's really handled all of these ups and downs so well it is impressive.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

This sounds like the likely scenario. I can't imagine USFS denying her SkAm. It just sucks that her GP has Valieva, Kostornaia, Kihira, AND Tuktamysheva. I've lost hope in Kihira, so I think Alysa will have a great shot at beating her. She probably should score over Tukt, but will probably have to suffer from lower PCS, deserved or not.
Much as I love Kostornaia, I'm not sure I see her beating Alysa if she doesn't have her 3A back. Not based on what we're seeing in the Sun Valley clips of Liu's SP or the Peggy Fleming comp if the assumption is that the Tchaikovsky violin concerto is her FS. She has improved so much and I'm very confident she'll be competitive with the Russians, provided she has her 3A and 4Z back in competition shape.

And, like others have said, Alysa has a great head for competition. She's very grounded and, from what I'm seeing, methodical in her approach to being the best. She went out on the JGP and didn't win everything in sight so her team came back and went to work on the areas she needed to improve to beat those girls who were beating her on the JGP. From what we've seen, it's all beginning to payoff. She's absolutely in the mix for a medal in Beijing, and I won't be surprised if she does manage to qualify for the GPF despite being in some of the toughest GP fields.

AngieNikodinovLove

This sounds like the likely scenario. I can't imagine USFS denying her SkAm.

Why do people think she should be getting skate America? Amber beat her at nationals. And Amber got hosed for the worlds. When I first saw the Grand Prix announcements I in no way thought Alysa should be getting skate America or was robbed of it. I was actually quite happy that everyone seemed to get two spots who were supposed to get two.

I think Alysa is amazing, and will do well at her events. I don’t think she needs to go to assignments where they are watered down or host events. I think she can compete with the worlds best and do well. I have no doubts at all in my mind when it comes to her

🔟

If there is any US skater where they are going to send them to tough fields I would send out Alysa.

baramin

I think, traditionally, the reigning National champ gets SkAm, and the USFSA typically doesn't put their top 2 skaters in competition against each other there. Granted, Alysa was 4th at Nationals last year, but it wouldn't surprise me if the USFSA still sees her as a potential contender in Beijing based on her potential jump layout, and decided not to clump her and Bradie at the same competition. They would have had no say on how deep the other comps are--honestly, most of the Russians are a challenge, but Skate Canada will let us see how far she is from Valieva at the moment and how her PCS stack up against Tukt, who is probably the most vulnerable of the top level Russian ladies. Kostornaia is fantastic, but we have no idea what shape her skating is in right now, so no reason to assume Liu can't medal in Canada. The most interesting thing to me is that she is up against Kihira in both assignments--Kihira has been beatable her past few outings, and if Liu can show strongly against her in Canada and in Japan, that could establish her as a podium contender in the judges' eyes heading into the second half of the season.

Re: Tchaikovsky--wasn't this Daisuke's 2007 SP? I always loved that program.

sjs5572

Jeremy and Massimo have completely transformed Alysa's skating! I see improvements in every aspect of her skating. Her speed and flow have never been better. Her use of her arms (port de bras) has advanced light years. Her awareness of and use of music seems so much more advanced. Her knowledge and use of her skate blades, the use of the edges, has gone from an intermediate to a senior level (seemingly overnight). The spins seem fast and centered. Her team seem to be paying attention to every detail. All that hard work (from every one involved) is starting to pay off!

Her team might have requested to not get Skate America. There's a lot more pressure and attention at the home event, so it's possible that her team wanted a calmer, more low-key start to her senior GP career. Plus, Vancouver is a 2.5-hour flight from the Bay Area, so assuming the borders reopen, her family and friends could make it to Skate Canada if they choose to.
The more likely scenario is that Bradie and Amber were given first dibs on SkAm, as Gold and Silver medalists at 2021 Nationals.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
... Gracie Bradie and Amber were given first dibs on SkAm, as Gold and Silver medalists at 2021 Nationals.
Fixed that for you. ;) (eta: Karen beat me!)

In case Bradie's recently revealed SP music wasn't posted in this thread:
Bradie Tennell
SP: Restrictus, by Mario Batkovic, arr. Cedric Tour
Choreography by Benoit Richaud
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRKQMqrgUM_/
Bradie also posted this "blooper reel" yesterday :D: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRcOIi-g8Mc/

ETA that Bradie shared her FS music back in May when Benoit Richaud originally choreographed the program with her in Brig, Switzerland: https://www.instagram.com/p/COvQBbBskRI/
FS: "Nuvole Bianche" by Ludovico Einaudi, arr. Cedric Tour

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sarah Everhardt appears to be a new addition to the ISP. She's from the Washington FSC and was 13th in novice at the US Championship Series last season.
Everhardt finished 1st in the SP (landed 3F, 3Lz+2T & 2A cleanly and had all level 4 spins) and 2nd overall in the regular Junior Ladies event at Skate Milwaukee (Soho Lee won but is too young to be included in the ISP this season).

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
From Instagram, it looks like Mariah Bell is getting a German shepherd (mix) puppy?

Um....a) hope she can keep it separate from her bunnies and b) a large breed puppy in an Olympic season seems a LOT of time and work.

AngieNikodinovLove

I think, traditionally, the reigning National champ gets SkAm, and the USFSA typically doesn't put their top 2 skaters in competition against each other there.

Yeah they do. In 2005 I traveled to Atlantic City skate America because Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen were on the roster

Although in the end I think they both withdrew by October

The national champ seem to always get skate America unless for some reason they don’t want it. And then there’s always one TBA so they can see how assignments pan out and who is doing well in summer time. But sometimes they do select the two best ladies for skate America

Same thing with men, dance and pairs. Hoffman Estates had top two US Pairs team, even this year for ice dance has the top two US teams. And there’s been more as well, but my second beer is already settling in tonight, having a hard time remembering. 🙆🏻‍♂️ 🍺

Last edited:

feraina

Gosh it’s going to be some serious drama and heartbreak at nationals. Brady, Alysa, Mariah, Karen, Amber. Two will be left at home from the olympics (assuming we get the third spot at Nebelhorn). Amber has always been very up and down. But now that I think about it, all of them have been rather inconsistent and went through bouts of lows. Maybe the only partial exception is alysa who was very consistent before her growth spurt and has apparently dealt very well with her growth spurt - but she is yet to be tested on the senior scene.

I wonder if there are senior B’s all the girls can be sent out to ASAP before nebelhorn, firstly to see who should go to nebelhorn and secondly to let them start building their BOW ASAP. Well at least Mariah Alysa and Amber.

SidelineSkater

Yeah they do. In 2005 I traveled to Atlantic City skate America because Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen were on the roster

Although in the end I think they both withdrew by October

The national champ seem to always get skate America unless for some reason they don’t want it. And then there’s always one TBA so they can see how assignments pan out and who is doing well in summer time. But sometimes they do select the two best ladies for skate America

Same thing with men, dance and pairs. Hoffman Estates had top two US Pairs team, even this year for ice dance has the top two US teams. And there’s been more as well, but my second beer is already settling in tonight, having a hard time remembering. 🙆🏻‍♂️ 🍺

ANL is right - with or without cocktails! I recall Ashley and Gracie being at SKAM 2016 (?) and up and coming Mariah was a replacement and placed 2nd behind Ashley.

Sylvia

TBD
Gosh it’s going to be some serious drama and heartbreak at nationals. Brady, Alysa, Mariah, Karen, Amber. Two will be left at home from the olympics (assuming we get the third spot at Nebelhorn).
Yes for sure, but hopefully the intense competition will help ALL of the contenders train better, perform to/maximize their potential this season.
I wonder if there are senior B’s all the girls can be sent out to ASAP before nebelhorn, firstly to see who should go to nebelhorn and secondly to let them start building their BOW ASAP. Well at least Mariah Alysa and Amber.
Re-posting here from the PFT thread... I've heard unofficially that USFS is using Cranberry Cup (new international next month hosted by the SC of Boston - senior events are currently scheduled for Aug. 14-15) to decide which U.S. woman to send to Nebelhorn, which I think is a very good idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information