U.S. Swimming Olympic Trials, June 4-20, 2021

Sylvia

TBD
NBC Olympics presents live coverage of Wave I of the U.S. Olympic Team Trials for swimming this weekend, beginning Friday, June 4 at 8 p.m. ET on Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA from Omaha, Neb.
Swimming trials coverage will take place in two waves, beginning this weekend with Wave I and continuing June 13-20 with Wave II, and includes eight nights of primetime coverage on NBC.
Team USA looks to continue its Olympic success, having led the medal count in swimming at seven consecutive Games, including in Rio, where the team won 33 medals.
Patrick Kinas (play-by-play) and three-time Olympian Elizabeth Beisel (analyst) will call this weekend’s action.
Wave I qualified U.S. swimmers will compete at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials for swimming in a wildcard bid to reach Wave II of the event and race to become a member of the U.S. Olympic Team. The four-day Trials competition will feature many of the country’s rising talent, with the top two swimmers of every event moving to Wave II.
Date Coverage Network Time
Fri., June 4 Wave I – Men’s and Women’s 100m Freestyle, 200m Butterfly, 100m Backstroke, 800m Freestyle Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA 8 p.m. ET
Sat., June 5 Wave I – Men’s and Women’s 200m Freestyle, 100m Breaststroke, 400m Individual Medley Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA 8 p.m. ET
Sun., June 6 Wave I – Men’s and Women’s 400m Freestyle, 100m Butterfly, 200m Backstroke Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA 8 p.m. ET
Mon., June 7 Wave I – Men’s and Women’s 200m Individual Medley, 50m Freestyle, 200m Breaststroke, 1,500m Freestyle Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA 8 p.m. ET

Sun., June 13 Qualifying Heats – Men’s 400m Individual Medley, Women’s 100m Butterfly, Men’s 400m Freestyle, Women’s 400m Individual Medley, Men’s 100m Breaststroke NBCSN 5:30 p.m. ET*
Finals – Men’s 400m Individual Medley, Men’s 400m Freestyle, Women’s 400m Individual Medley NBC 8 p.m. ET/PT
Mon., June 14 Qualifying Heats – Women’s 100m Backstroke, Men’s 200m Freestyle, Women’s 100m Breaststroke, Men’s 100m Backstroke, Women’s 400m Freestyle NBCSN 6:30 p.m. ET*
Finals – Women’s 100m Butterfly, Men’s 100m Breaststroke, Women’s 400m Freestyle NBC 8 p.m. ET/PT
Tues., June 15 Qualifying Heats – Women’s 200m Freestyle, Men’s 200m Butterfly, Women’s 200m Individual Medley, Women’s 1,500m Freestyle NBCSN 6:30 p.m. ET*
Finals –Men’s 200m Freestyle, Women’s 100m Backstroke, Men’s 100m Backstroke, Women’s 100m Breaststroke NBC 8 p.m. ET/PT
Wed., June 16 Qualifying Heats – Men’s 100m Freestyle, Women’s 200m Butterfly, Men’s 200m Breaststroke, Men’s 800m Freestyle NBCSN 6:30 p.m. ET*
Finals –Women’s 200m Freestyle, Men’s 200m Butterfly, Women’s 200m Individual Medley, Women’s 1,500m Freestyle NBC 8 p.m. ET/PT
Thurs., June 17 Qualifying Heats – Women’s 100m Freestyle, Men’s 200m Backstroke, Women’s 200m Breaststroke, Men’s 200m Individual Medley NBCSN 6:30 p.m. ET*
Finals –Men’s 800m Freestyle, Men’s 200m Breaststroke, Women’s 200m Butterfly, Men’s 100m Freestyle NBCSN 8 p.m. ET
Finals –Men’s 800m Freestyle, Men’s 200m Breaststroke, Women’s 200m Butterfly, Men’s 100m Freestyle NBC 10 p.m. ET/PT*
Fri., June 18 Qualifying Heats – Women’s 800m Freestyle, Men’s 100m Butterfly, Women’s 200m Backstroke NBCSN 6 p.m. ET*
Finals –Women’s 200m Breaststroke, Men’s 200m Backstroke, Men’s 200m Individual Medley, Women’s 100m Freestyle NBC 9 p.m. ET/PT
Sat., June 19 Qualifying Heats – Men’s 50m Freestyle, Women’s 50m Freestyle, Men’s 1,500m Freestyle NBCSN 6:30 p.m. ET*
Finals –Men’s 100m Butterfly, Women’s 200m Backstroke, Women’s 800m Freestyle NBC 9 p.m. ET
Sun., June 20 Finals – Men’s 50m Freestyle, Women’s 50m Freestyle, Men’s 1,500m Freestyle NBC 8:15 p.m. ET
*delayed coverage

Coverage & predictions:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sun., June 13:
Qualifying Heats – Men’s 400m Individual Medley, Women’s 100m Butterfly, Men’s 400m Freestyle, Women’s 400m Individual Medley, Men’s 100m Breaststroke NBCSN 5:30 p.m. ET* (also streaming on Peacock)
Finals – Men’s 400m Individual Medley, Men’s 400m Freestyle, Women’s 400m Individual Medley NBC 8 p.m. ET/PT

Aaron MB Fan

Is anyone watching trials tonight? The 400IM ending was :eek:
Yeah that was intense!! I was so confused when they first showed the result on screen once the race ended as it didn't look like that result was correct watching the finish on screen, but the it was corrected after.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Does only one American guy get to go to the OOOOO for the 400 IM?

No? In swimming you have up to two entries as long as they have met the qualifying time.

Yeah that was intense!! I was so confused when they first showed the result on screen once the race ended as it didn't look like that result was correct watching the finish on screen, but the it was corrected after.

I was wondering if they showed it to the swimmers wrong or if the swimmers knew right away.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
The reason I asked is that the results of the race showed the Olympic rings symbol next to only the first-place finisher of the 400 IM.

If you watch, they will show the Olympic rings symbol next to the first place finisher only for every race. This has to do with the fact that swimming teams for the olympics are capped at 26 swimmers, so technically the winners (and places 1-4 of the 100 free and 200 free) are nominated first and then the second place finishers. The second place finishers would not be guaranteed if the winners in combination with the 100 free and 200 free relay swimmers added up to more than 26. This is not a real concern, but it does mean they do not automatically qualify.

Swimming does not really have a system of "earning places" for the Olympics until you get to the point where a federation does not have qualified swimmers. As long as two swimmers have met the qualifying time in every event, that country gets two spots. The US seldom has to worry about this although I think the 400 Free and 1500 Free for men are an issue. However the country can't have more than 26 men and 26 women.

just tuned in

If you watch, they will show the Olympic rings symbol next to the first place finisher only for every race. This has to do with the fact that swimming teams for the olympics are capped at 26 swimmers, so technically the winners (and places 1-4 of the 100 free and 200 free) are nominated first and then the second place finishers. The second place finishers would not be guaranteed if the winners in combination with the 100 free and 200 free relay swimmers added up to more than 26. This is not a real concern, but it does mean they do not automatically qualify.

Swimming does not really have a system of "earning places" for the Olympics until you get to the point where a federation does not have qualified swimmers. As long as two swimmers have met the qualifying time in every even, that country gets two spots. The US seldom has to worry about this although I think the 400 Free and 1500 Free for men are an issue. However the country can't have more than 26 men and 26 women.
Wow, thanks. This is extremely helpful.

Carolla5501

Does only one American guy get to go to the OOOOO for the 400 IM?
From what a coach at a local college said on a local interview yesterday…..

Actually, yes we may only get to send one person to that IM. . We did not make the qualifying time until just now which could present a problem. They may not send the second person. It has to do with the size of the team and times.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
From what a coach at a local college said on a local interview yesterday…..

Actually, yes we may only get to send one person to that IM. . We did not make the qualifying time until just now which could present a problem. They may not send the second person. It has to do with the size of the team and times.
Actually, it was Kieran Smith in the 400 free who just made the time. The 2nd place finisher was over and, therefore, not eligible.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
There is no way we will not be sending two people to the 400 IM, a race in which they currently hold 4 of the top 10 rankings in the world.

The US does have a problem in the 400 free, where the second place finisher has not made the qualifying time. That being said, the US does have two swimmers who have met the time cut. Zane Grothe, who does have a qualifying time, did not make the finals. However, the way the US rules are written, my understanding is that they essentially go down the finisher list until they find someone with a qualifying time, which doesn't keep Grothe in play. That being said, he would be the first man out if the team would end up containing more than 26 men. However, there is also still one more meet for any swimmers above Grothe at this meet to earn a qualifying time. That meet is June 26-27th. If any of the swimmers who finished ahead of Grothe earns the qualifying time there, they would be named to the team ahead of him.

So basically this is a complicated situation, but the US does have two qualifiers to the 400 free. The question is will they have room for both on the 26 man team and will anyone aside from Smith and Grothe achieve the qualifying time.

sk9tingfan

This morning on Today's third hour, Sheinelle Jones questioned the veracity/likelihood that swimmer shave their body hair. One of the winners was asked to what he attributed his fast time, to which he replied, "Well, I shaved my chest today and I'll probably shave my back tomorrow"(possibly the reverse). I've known this fact for a very long time, so I tweeted this article to her. Enjoy.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/06/12/us-olympic-swimming-trials-why-swimmers-shave-body-hair

BaileyCatts

I wasn't able to watch all the qualifying races so maybe I missed it, but is Ryan Lochte completely out of Trials now or does he still have any events left?

sk9tingfan

I wasn't able to watch all the qualifying races so maybe I missed it, but is Ryan Lochte completely out of Trials now or does he still have any events left?
I was wondering the same thing. He failed to advance in the 200 freestyle, scratched out of the 400 individual medley and the 100 backstroke. His last try will be the 200 individual medley later this week.

ilovepaydays

DANG. Cody Miller didn’t make either breaststroke finals. At least he has being a YouTube star to fall back on. MAYBEEE…….

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Katie Ledecky is the Simone Biles of swimming (aka, not human). Incredible. :eek: :cheer:

I hope Nathan Adrian makes the team in the 50M. I have such a soft spot for him after everything that he's been through and I really want to see him on that Tokyo team. He'd be SUCH a great leader for them. :cheer:

honey

Possibly dumb question here…so teams are cappped at 26, but if you make the team are you free to swim as many events as you’d like at the Olympics? Is there any kind of per country limit in either the heats or finals?

just tuned in

Possibly dumb question here…so teams are cappped at 26, but if you make the team are you free to swim as many events as you’d like at the Olympics? Is there any kind of per country limit in either the heats or finals?
Same question.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
3 per country per individual event. All must have met the Oly time standard. The US will start with the winners + relay qualifiers, then add the 2nd place finishers. If they’re under 26, they will add alternates for the relays. There’s a small chance that they will add someone who was milliseconds out of a 2nd spot if their time is competitive internationally.

OlieRow

The priorities for qualifying for the US Olympic team are #1 the 1st-4th place athletes in the 100 and 200 freestyle events plus the 1st place finishers in all other events. Then priority #2 is 2nd place finishers. #3 is 5th place for 100/200m freestyle events. #4 is 6th place for 100/200m freestyle events. Teams are capped at 26 for men and 26 for women. Priority #1 is 20 athletes and #2 includes 12 but with people like Katie Ledecky qualifying in more than 1 spot they’re typically able to go far down the list.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So that poor woman who was 3rd in the 200 IM might make it?

I'm primarily a skating/gymnastics fan, so the abruptness and finality of watching someone lose a spot that way was unfamiliar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information