U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimi

Maybe when they said both programs they meant team and individual?
Haven't listened to the teleconference but yeah, that sounds about right.

Also, Chris retweeted Lynn Rutherford who has the same interpretation:
On media call @alexa_knierim @ChrisKnierim said they plan quad twist in both team & individual frees. "In training, it has good flow .... we were disappointed in it at nationals, because it was two footed." They feel they are peaking at the right time to put out best in Korea.

ETA: Just noticed that Alexa retweeted this story about some fancy new laser technology that helped Chris heal his knee: http://www.koaa.com/story/37378937/...being-used-to-heal-colorado-springs-olympians

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks for sharing that link about the technology they used to help Chris' knee. I really think that Alexa & Chris are rarin' to go and eager to ratchet up and be their absolute best, especially after their Nationals hiccoughs, now coupled with the boffo performances and results of their three rival U.S. pairs colleagues at 4CCs! Yep, the Knierims are rarin' to go and inspired 100-fold I imagine. :D

Have Chris and Alexa said anything about plans to retire after this season? It will be interesting to see because it looks like the three teams behind them are rarin' at the bit to be the best. And that kind of pushing each other to excel is exciting for U.S. pairs.

Haven't listened to the teleconference but yeah, that sounds about right.

I actually listened to the teleconference, and that's why I asked the question, cuz Alexa clearly said they wanted to do that quad twist in all of their programs (sp included). She must have just been exaggerating in the sense of showing how gung-ho they were about absolutely including their quad twist to give it their all. When she said it, I immediately thought jeez, I didn't know quad-twist is now allowed in the sp. Actually, I don't see much reason why it shouldn't be allowed in the sp. I think initially, the sport has been a bit reluctant to push the envelope in pairs, perhaps partly for safety concerns?

And now with the stated ISU intention to lessen values of some pairs elements! :duh: ISU is foolish and inept in their approach. They need to get consensus of coaches and skaters prior to making decisions, especially bonehead ones!

ETA:
Also, Chris retweeted Lynn Rutherford who has the same interpretation:

Alright, I'll take another listen. Perhaps I misheard or misunderstood. The audio on those teleconferences is crappy.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

That's what I thought. But in their media teleconference, Alexa said something about her and Chris going to or wanting to rock the quad twist in both programs and how they looked forward to performing four programs within a week's time. They were both saying how that's what they do anyway in training. I would just caution them to realize that doing four or more programs during a week's training is not the same kind of atmosphere or mental stress pressure of having to do it four times at the Olympics in one week.

The question to Alexa/Chris was whether they will do quad twist in the FS in both the team and individual events. They said yes, they will do quad in both. Believe me, Alexa is well aware that they can't do quad twist in the SP.

Chris also said that even if there were two U.S. pairs teams who made the Olympics, he and Alexa would still be the ones chosen to perform two programs in the team competition. Really?? I mean probably, but maybe not.

He said "I think even if there was another [U.S.] pairs team, we would still be doing both of the events."

aftershocks

Banned Member
On the latest TSL it was mentioned that Delilah wasn't happy when John Coughlin worked with K/O on their twist, so I don't think this is in the cards.

Exactly. This type of territorial rivalry situation also happens among Russian coaches too.

That was sweet of John though. I remember seeing him at Skate America in 2016, and he was really excited about watching Tarasova/Morosov perform their quad-twist in practices. Obviously John loves the sport and he enjoys being involved in helping the sport as well as the pairs discipline to evolve. That enthusiastic, sharing attitude should not be faulted.

nimi

This new FS Online article about Alexa & Chris (by Claire) is def worth a read!
http://figureskatersonline.com/news...d-chris-knierim-ready-to-peak-in-pyeongchang/

E.g. I've been wondering about how competitors can avoid flus and stomach issues while staying in the Olympic Village and sounds like Team USA has it pretty good:
“The Village is going to have a separate cafeteria that has standard American food,” Scimeca-Knierim said. “But the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the United States Figure Skating Association (USFSA) have put together their own area with a kitchen [and] food for the athletes. We’re going to be utilizing that during the competition time, because there’s going to be [fewer] athletes in and out there, and that’s going to help us avoid picking up any current flus or illnesses that may be going around the Village. They have spoken to the athletes individually, asking if there’s anything they specifically need. It’s definitely something they’ve put a lot of planning into. It really does put us at ease.”

ETA: Oh and the latest IceTalk features Brooke Castile. She thinks K/SK's sbs woes are mostly mental at this point. (People yapping about how they can't jump has gotten in their head, basically.)
The new IceTalk episode: Olympic pairs preview with Jackie & Brooke Castile

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ice-talk/id1143138240?mt=2

Just started listening to this. They begin with talking about the scheduling. Brooke thinks it's mentally easier for pairs to have the individual event right after the team event although it's physically "an extreme challenge".

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

Speaking of Four Continents, I thought this was interesting:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lindseyhisk/status/956803459348647936

Someone tweeted this:

"Weak Four Continents pair event with inflated scores. The fact that this gets the same points as Europeans in an Olympic year is laughable. It was Kayne & O’Shea’s best skate in a while. They were ok but overall I’m glad I slept through this one."

And Alexa S-K said this in one of her replies:

"It’s hard for us American Pairs to see things like this because we are constantly pulled down in regards to our stamp on the world scene. We all do our best and when ppl recognize that, it helps keep the dream alive. :)"

It's so easy for fans to criticize and complain and run their mouth about how US pairs suck and blah, blah, blah that sometimes I think we forget that athletes are human and have feelings, too.
At this level, specially. They have sacrificed so much and worked so hard to get to where they are that I can only imagine how disheartening it is when they hear some of the things said.

Meagan D. also made a snarky comment. Love it!

ETA: misspelled Meagan's name. Oops.

Willin

That's hard... I have no idea what I'd suggest for C/L. I like rock music on them, but I have no idea what would suit their skating best there. Someone did suggest Totentanz so maybe another one of those witch/demon themed programs I'm so fond of?
I will say, NOT Moulin Rouge. Please no more of that. Also no POTO. Or Carmen. Or Scheherazade. Or any warhorse. I like their fun choices.

aftershocks

Banned Member
People yapping about how they can't jump has gotten in their head, basically

(((Sigh))) Forget about the yapping of other people please. Stay confident within yourself Alexa & Chris. The best athletes know when and how to tune out the noise, e.g.: Nathan Chen.

Honestly, if you are confident in your ability and in your training, 'yapping' should not be able to penetrate through your resolve.

"Weak Four Continents pair event with inflated scores. The fact that this gets the same points as Europeans in an Olympic year is laughable. It was Kayne & O’Shea’s best skate in a while. They were ok but overall I’m glad I slept through this one."

:blah: Oh boy! :rolleyes: It must be someone who has fave pair skaters in the second tier and who is afraid of seeing the increasing improvements of U.S. pairs.

Keep kickin' it U.S. pairs!!! :kickass:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cain/LeDuc are looking for music suggestions for next year's programs. :)

https://twitter.com/icegirlash/status/959510357902594048

That's really cool. I was thinking of writing to C/L and offering some of my music suggestion ideas last summer, but I didn't get around to it. :)

It looks like they are receiving a slew of ideas. But it's good to see how others are thinking, and be able to gather many ideas to choose from.

I'm going to take this music suggestion discussion for C/L to their fan thread. I hope Ash and Timothy will check there too! :saint:

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
So I tweeted to Ashley Cain my choices..... drum roll y'all

SP = Havana, by Camila Cabello thats all over the radio! Riiiiiggghhhhttttt????? (Kinda like how K&O did Take Me To Church, I think this could be a signature program for them.) No need to thank me fellow FSU'ers. Just send me chocolates....LOTS of them...

and Free = Totentanz (modern version of Dance Of The Dead). Im still dieing for ANYONE to serve me some Totentanz!! Why not them?

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Someone else mentioned Totentanz as well. As I questioned in their fan thread, how would you begin to cut this music? There was a professional music editor fan who tweeted Ashley, offering to help cut whatever music they chose, in any case. ;) He said that he wants to be part of Team Cain/LeDuc! :cool: So do I! :cheer2:

I listened to the first group of suggestions and offered my own ideas in the fan thread, along with my ratings from neutral and/or nope (no stars); to good = one red star; to great = two red stars.

I see there are more suggestions on Ash's Twitter, so I'll have to listen and update my summary in the C/L fan thread.

Meanwhile, some of my suggestions:
Walk on the Wild Side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9Or8rE_Dc

Symphony Orchestra Cover of Bruno Mars' Grenade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsqpwt9yg0

Earth Wind & Fire mix, including Shining Star!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SocjITU2aPo

Cat Stevens playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vHyzGslkWM&list=PLE583A9883D197959

Also something from Lord of the Rings, or Chronicles of Narnia

And what about:
Vanessa Mae's Toccato & Fugue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8Fa_EUQqY

Vanessa Mae's Storm (Vivaldi interpretation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frtuXA9HUWM

Vanessa Mae's Sabre Dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-GLcye8_IY

Last edited:

VGThuy

This is hysterical.

Although I do wonder if USFSA/NBC will try to hype the US as a contender for gold in the team event. It's not completely out of the question.

I fully expect it until the third day where they roll back and make it obvious that winning a medal of any color would be a great result for Team USA.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Minor stuff....I think they're both fine. They're just being cautious. :)

It was fun to see pictures of them skating on Olympic ice together. I remember the happy feeling I got when I first saw pics of Amanda & Mark on Olympic ice eight years ago and this kind of brings that back even though I don't know Alexa & Chris nearly as well. I would really love to have this feeling again in four years and see Tarah & Danny skating on the Olympic ice! :cheer:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Are Tarah and Danny attending the Olympics? I saw pics of them with Jim P. in Korea. I imagine it would be a great inspirational experience!

nimi

OH JEEZ... Do I even want to click???
In case you didn't dare to click but you still kinda want to know... They had a lift mishap last week and Alexa's "bony left hip" (his words) hit him in the face, resulting in a few stitches on his eyebrow but luckily:
“We were back skating the next day – no concussion or anything,” Knierim said.

MrMystery

Do they just send them home then? Or will the USOC at least help them get tickets to watch an event?

Typically in cases like this (when an alternate is actually sent to be on-site, here because we only have one pair team, and if God forbid something happened to S-K&K, without a pair team the U.S. wouldn't be able to compete in the team event) costs are covered up until the time they are no longer needed, ie: the individual short program draw. While I'm sure the USFS/USOC would be able to secure them "perks" such as tickets, etc., they wouldn't be covering the cost of their stay (hotels, meals, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information